Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Jm1982, who does not like homeless people (understatement of the year) has a very interesting suggestion awhile ago. He said they should require a visa to move to California (particularly LA and other major cities), so that incoming people have either a job or school if they are moving in.

And by job I mean a professional job. Flooding the labor markets with lots of low skilled people push wages DOWN while INCREASING real estate costs, and you end up with situations like 5 people to a room on bunkbeds (I've seen slummy houses like this in LA).

I thought of jm1982 suggestion further, and it may be something that should be similarly explored in other popular areas, so I asked something to that effect on the NYC forum.

For those of you who may say I'm a hypocrite as I will be moving to LA in Dec., I don't think so. I'm a licensed teacher. It's not like I'm moving to a place where my only job prospects are minimum wage and if I miss a paycheck I'm out in the streets panhandling.

I'm just saying perhaps California needs to regulate and reduce the number of people moving it, and that would in turn alleviate some of the real estate pressures, at least as far as rentals go.

I'm also saying this because of the homeless in LA, it's one thing to give LA natives or people who have worked or gone to school in LA services if they go through hard times. But it's ridiculous if these services are given to people who have no actual tax paying background in LA.
As New Yorkers moving to California, and two licensed teachers, thanks for embarrassing the rest of us, and we respectfully request you remain in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes we do pay a disproportionate amount in social services , no doubt people are targeting Los Angeles and California in general because they know they have a good chance of gaining these services or welfare.

We are in debt in CA to the tune of $400 billion

California
Obviously a lot of it is not all because of welfare of social services to unemployed people etc , but it's a huge number.

Regarding the homeless , I do not dislike or hate the homeless . I don't like aggressive panhandling or people that randomly attack strangers physically or verbally, etc . . But obviously not all homeless engage in those behaviors and not everyone that engages in those behaviors is homeless .
It has been repeatedly shown that a majority of red states provide most social services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Jm1982 and i have alot in commen (common). We just want to be surrounded by other professionals like ourselfs (ourselves) and don't want to be harrased by mentally ill skitzos on the streets. Life would be better if every single neighborhood was gentrified. I guess that can't happened (happen) without the Los Angeles Visa system installed.

What wall? We don't need a wall when we have the mountains blocking the LA Basin from the rest of the United States. Just block the mountain passes along i15, i5, i10,
Shouldn't intellectuals and professionals be able to spell correctly? Maybe anyone choosing to live in LA should take a spelling and grammar test.

Quote:
I think a lot of people suspect that the other communist and you are twins.
Please, please, please, tell me I'm the other communist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Maybe not Visa, but at least MasterCard

Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
As New Yorkers moving to California, and two licensed teachers, thanks for embarrassing the rest of us, and we respectfully request you remain in NY.

It has been repeatedly shown that a majority of red states provide most social services.

Shouldn't intellectuals and professionals be able to spell correctly? Maybe anyone choosing to live in LA should take a spelling and grammar test.

Sorry you aren't the other communist
That one starts with an M.

Check this out though from :
California

"Indeed, while the state is only 12% of the nation’s population, it is home to 33% of welfare residents. According to a report published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) on January 26, 2015, there is a correlation between generous welfare benefits and an increase in immigration.

In total, California outspends every other state in public welfare spending – in 2014, it spent $22.4 billion. In contrast, the next closest state, New York, spent $11.9 billion."

So how do the other states outspend CA?

Old 04-24-2016, 12:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post

As I have no respect for you, your request is denied.. This is an Internet posting, not a professional piece. In short you cannot even attack or discuss my proposal so you have to resort to petty personal attacks.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

California

"Indeed, while the state is only 12% of the nation’s population, it is home to 33% of welfare residents. According to a report published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) on January 26, 2015, there is a correlation between generous welfare benefits and an increase in immigration.

In total, California outspends every other state in public welfare spending – in 2014, it spent $22.4 billion. In contrast, the next closest state, New York, spent $11.9 billion."

What California and NY have done in response is put certain barriers in place to get subsidized housing. It can take years to get subsidized housing, so in the meantime these people are in shelters or on the street. Which is what's increasingly likely if you don't move to these places with a lot of money or have good job skills. The barriers are already there in the job market as well, a visa system would just be making it official. For those hoping gentrification will clean up the city, downtown's gentrification has not cleaned up skid row or the homeless encampments all over. No major city had completely gentrified, and definitely no major metro area.

Poor people will just share a room with multiple people or go homeless.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
As I have no respect for you, your request is denied.. This is an Internet posting, not a professional piece. In short you cannot even attack or discuss my proposal so you have to resort to petty personal attacks.
But you do realize how ridiculous your idea is?

Old 04-24-2016, 01:07 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
What California and NY have done in response is put certain barriers in place to get subsidized housing. It can take years to get subsidized housing, so in the meantime these people are in shelters or on the street. Which is what's increasingly likely if you don't move to these places with a lot of money or have good job skills. The barriers are already there in the job market as well, a visa system would just be making it official. For those hoping gentrification will clean up the city, downtown's gentrification has not cleaned up skid row or the homeless encampments all over. No major city had completely gentrified, and definitely no major metro area.

Poor people will just share a room with multiple people or go homeless.
Apparently you are unaware that most homeless people are locals? Wherever they are. Most homeless prefer to remain in familiar surroundings where they have friends and families and other contacts. It varies, but the myth of migrating for weather and benefits has been studied and only between 8 - 25% are from out of area in various cities around the country. You can look this up yourself. Not hard to find. Or, conversely, you can continue to spew misinformation like most folks do.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:11 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people suspect that the other communist and you are twins.
*yawn* Afeared of the commie bogeymen under your bed along with the people raising minimum wages, jm?

Communism sucks. Like all other ideological bullwinkle. People fill their heads with theories they think will save them from reality - and create fantasies - and name them. And then others join up and we have a new New Believer who doesn't respect truth out of fear.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:

California

Funny you mentioned communist. Actually China, which is ruled by a communist party, does have an internal system of restricting internal migration, most often to its cities.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
OP: I hope you don't teach history or political science because your idea (or at least similar in spirit) was tried during the Great Depression.

It was ruled unconstitutional in 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwards_v._California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles