U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:40 AM

3,780 posts, read 2,405,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Why not stay? Get a beautiful view of nature or the Great Lake and pay WAY less than even places in the Central Valley here in california. You'll be much happier on your income there than living like a welfare recipient or a college student here
Not that I wish to pretend to speak for the OP, but among possible reasons may be: weather (and its implications on health), crime, personal reasons, general sense of discontent with the current situation.

One thing I want to ask the OP, though is why L.A. in particular? Unless you have friends or a social network there, life can get really lonely in So Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 AM

808 posts, read 661,744 times
If you are making $12-15/hour and expect to make the same in LA, do not move to LA. You'll be struggling to make ends meet while living in an old apartment in a so-so area with very little disposal to go out and enjoy the city. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're going to come out to LA, I'd wait until you can get to the point where you're making at least $45-50K/year.

Have you considered other more affordable cities like Chicago? Or do you want to come out west to get away from the cold?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
If you are making $12-15/hour and expect to make the same in LA, do not move to LA. You'll be struggling to make ends meet while living in an old apartment in a so-so area with very little disposal to go out and enjoy the city. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're going to come out to LA, I'd wait until you can get to the point where you're making at least $45-50K/year.

Have you considered other more affordable cities like Chicago? Or do you want to come out west to get away from the cold?
If the latter is true, I hear Phoenix is rather affordable (plus lots of consumers of health care with retirees moving to Arizona in droves). I get the draw of L.A., I really do, but you're not wrong in saying that at $30K/year (at most, on $15/hour unless you work tons of overtime which will further eat into your enjoyment of life), one will be struggling hard in L.A. and, indeed, most of Southern California. Chicago is probably not going to be much of a change from Michigan in terms of weather or L.A. in terms of cost (unless you're deep into suburbia (which isn't too dissimilar from MI), Chicago is as expensive as L.A.). Maybe look at some less popular spots such as Oregon which is still on the West Coast (assuming that's important).

Bottom line, OP, you really need to address the question I asked before - why do you want to come to L.A.?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:03 AM

38 posts, read 32,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacat07 View Post
Because Michigan sucks. I just bought a 1000 sq. Ft. trailer last year. I'm just ready to move. Beyond ready.
Aww I feel for you. I live in a mobile home in Michigan too! I also very much want to move to California, but people keep trying to discourage me from it (cost of living). I absolutely HATE the weather here though. I live near Grand Rapids, and it seriously snows or is freezing the majority of the year!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacat07 View Post
I just bought a 1000 sq. Ft. trailer last year. I'm just ready to move. Beyond ready.
OP, again, I'm trying to be as gentle as possible, but it does sound like you could use a deeper re-assessment of priorities and a bit more planning. Being ready to move AND buying real estate (even if it's a trailer) are two conflicting matters. What are you going to do with the trailer once you move? Is it financed or do you own it outright?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellas_girl29 View Post
Aww I feel for you. I live in a mobile home in Michigan too! I also very much want to move to California, but people keep trying to discourage me from it (cost of living).
The simple truth of it is that if you live in a trailer in MI, you likely don't have the money to live with any kind of degree of comfort in California, most parts of which (unless you want to live in a place like Bakersfield) are substantially more expensive than Grand Rapids.
Quote:
I absolutely HATE the weather here though. I live near Grand Rapids, and it seriously snows or is freezing the majority of the year!
I feel ya. I feel so much more energized when I go visit the folks in L.A., but short of finding a job similar to the one I have now ($100K+/year post-graduate professional), I won't be able to move back simply because I won't be able to afford to live nearly as comfortably as I do now. At a third (or less, even) of that, you're really going to struggle hard.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The simple truth of it is that if you live in a trailer in MI, you likely don't have the money to live with any kind of degree of comfort in California, most parts of which (unless you want to live in a place like Bakersfield) are substantially more expensive than Grand Rapids.I feel ya. I feel so much more energized when I go visit the folks in L.A., but short of finding a job similar to the one I have now ($100K+/year post-graduate professional), I won't be able to move back simply because I won't be able to afford to live nearly as comfortably as I do now. At a third (or less, even) of that, you're really going to struggle hard.
Oh no, I'm planning on moving in a few years! I'm not moving anytime soon! Haha. I just graduated school and am going to have a pretty high-paying job.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellas_girl29 View Post
Oh no, I'm planning on moving in a few years! I'm not moving anytime soon! Haha. I just graduated school and am going to have a pretty high-paying job.
Mine was a more general "you", but glad to see you've got a plan.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:08 AM

12,825 posts, read 19,304,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Why not stay? Get a beautiful view of nature or the Great Lake and pay WAY less than even places in the Central Valley here in california. You'll be much happier on your income there than living like a welfare recipient or a college student here
SW MI ... definitely one of the best parts of that state.

They even surf on Lake Michigan (some really cool YouTubes of it).

Due to Lake Effect, trade off is amount of snow (can be a lot during peak winter months) for warmer temps (similar to the idea of West Facing mountains out here). Orchards, vineyards, wineries.

Yeah, what a crappy place!!! /sarc

Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
SW MI ... definitely one of the best parts of that state.

They even surf on Lake Michigan (some really cool YouTubes of it).

Due to Lake Effect, trade off is amount of snow (can be a lot during peak winter months) for warmer temps (similar to the idea of West Facing mountains out here). Orchards, vineyards, wineries.

Yeah, what a crappy place!!! /sarc
Some people may like snow, but I personally don't! I don't like living somewhere where it's dark and cold the majority of the year. I am the type of person who likes being outside. Each person has different climates that they prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or