U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 32,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Mine was a more general "you", but glad to see you've got a plan.
Yeah! If I do move to California though, I would want to live somewhere with a lower cost of living anyway (possibly Northern Cali).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 AM

3,780 posts, read 2,394,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellas_girl29 View Post
Yeah! If I do move to California though, I would want to live somewhere with a lower cost of living anyway (possibly Northern Cali).
Wrong direction. If memory serves, San Francisco is the most expensive city in the nation and I am sure there will be fallout to the surrounding areas as well. For cheaper COL, Central Cali is your best bet, but it's not nearly as desirable.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Wrong direction. If memory serves, San Francisco is the most expensive city in the nation and I am sure there will be fallout to the surrounding areas as well. For cheaper COL, Central Cali is your best bet, but it's not nearly as desirable.
I've sort of been looking into Fortuna or Mariposa, possibly. I've also heard some good things about Fort Bragg. I'd definitely have to come visit again to be sure. I was actually born in California and have family there, but I haven't been there since high school!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:12 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,448,126 times
Quote:
Some people may like snow, but I personally don't! I don't like living somewhere where it's dark and cold the majority of the year. I am the type of person who likes being outside. Each person has different climates that they prefer.
Dark and cold. You'll hate sf then!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Dark and cold. You'll hate sf then!
Haha people have super negative things to say about any place I choose. I think every place has positives and negatives, you know? How cold is cold? It gets below zero here in the winter sometimes and snows sometimes from September through April.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM

4,310 posts, read 2,448,126 times
Quote:
Haha people have super negative things to say about any place I choose. I think every place has positives and negatives, you know? How cold is cold? It gets below zero here in the winter sometimes and snows sometimes from September through April.
They have this new technology called a "heater". It's almost like it heats places

Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 7,727 times
Quote:
If the latter is true, I hear Phoenix is rather affordable (plus lots of consumers of health care with retirees moving to Arizona in droves). I get the draw of L.A., I really do, but you're not wrong in saying that at $30K/year (at most, on $15/hour unless you work tons of overtime which will further eat into your enjoyment of life), one will be struggling hard in L.A. and, indeed, most of Southern California. Chicago is probably not going to be much of a change from Michigan in terms of weather or L.A. in terms of cost (unless you're deep into suburbia (which isn't too dissimilar from MI), Chicago is as expensive as L.A.). Maybe look at some less popular spots such as Oregon which is still on the West Coast (assuming that's important).

Bottom line, OP, you really need to address the question I asked before - why do you want to come to L.A.?
I've thought about Chicago, but I do want to get away from the cold. But, I also, want to live somewhere where there's a big city. Where I can walk around and go places and find things to do. You can't do that where I'm at. My sister moved to Chicago about last year and loves it there. I love Chicago too, but want to get away from the cold. That's why I was thinking West coast, and I was thinking L.A because I have a friend that moved to L.A about 6-8 years ago and loves it.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
OP, again, I'm trying to be as gentle as possible, but it does sound like you could use a deeper re-assessment of priorities and a bit more planning. Being ready to move AND buying real estate (even if it's a trailer) are two conflicting matters. What are you going to do with the trailer once you move? Is it financed or do you own it outright?
I own it outright, sooo I would sell it to a private buyer or the park. That won't be to complicated. The only reason I bought it, is because it was cheaper than renting an apartment and I can save more.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Aww I feel for you. I live in a mobile home in Michigan too! I also very much want to move to California, but people keep trying to discourage me from it (cost of living). I absolutely HATE the weather here though. I live near Grand Rapids, and it seriously snows or is freezing the majority of the year!
I also live near Grand Rapids. About 30 minutes south, but I work in downtown GR. Maybe we should just move together lol.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Some people may like snow, but I personally don't! I don't like living somewhere where it's dark and cold the majority of the year. I am the type of person who likes being outside. Each person has different climates that they prefer.
Exactly! I'm happy here in the summer. I love hiking, kayaking, going to the beach, all the outdoorsy stuff. But once fall/winter comes, I'm stuck at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or