U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,636,431 times

Advertisements

hes basically ranting due to the fact that homeless people are literally EVERYWHERE (cept for Beverly Hills of course, since the people running it know what they are doing).

I don't blame him for being mad, the amount of homeless people in LA is off the charts. and then add those tents to the equation and we have one ugly ass city.

but the question is: how do we solve the problem?

1. most homeless are mentally ill or are drug addicts. there is no hope for those people unfortunately.
2. able people who are homeless are the scum of society. there are plenty of jobs everywhere and help from the government for them to get back on their feet. seems like a lot of them dont really want to work.

so how do we solve this problem?

should we euthanize mentally ill/drug addict homeless people?

should we just drug them up even more with tax payers money?

WTF do we do? giving the mentally ill housing isn't going to fix the problem.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:40 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,255,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
so how do we solve this problem?
Apparently we should give them more Spices.
10 overdose on LA.'s skid row

Old 04-26-2016, 02:41 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,040 times
If you want an actual answer that doesn't violate anybodies rights. The federal government is the only entity that can do anything about the current situation. You should look into the homeless situation in other Westcoast cities: Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, Boulder, San Diego. Eastcoast cities too. The big problem for the USA is that you cannot detain a mentally ill homeless person against their will unless they are an immediate danger to themselves or others. Multiple court cases have clearly spelled this out. The most immediate solution IMO is to have storage facilities where homeless can leave their stuff. Another solution would be bigger social safety nets but most people are against that as well.

For more clarity you can read Jones v. Los Angeles

Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM

10,487 posts, read 6,432,209 times
What's "lol" about it? That you don't know what you are talking about?

Population issues vary with locations and time, but, in general:

• 20% - 30% suffer serious mental illness
• many of those with mental illness also suffer addictions
• an additional 15% - 20% homeless have addiction problems
• and 25% -35% of the homeless are sober and employed

Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

23 posts, read 31,528 times
Start by treating the illness.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,049,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What's "lol" about it? That you don't know what you are talking about?

Population issues vary with locations and time, but, in general:

• 20% - 30% suffer serious mental illness
• many of those with mental illness also suffer addictions
• an additional 15% - 20% homeless have addiction problems
• and 25% -35% of the homeless are sober and employed
Could you provide a link to those stats please?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM

10,487 posts, read 6,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Could you provide a link to those stats please?
Not to be rude, at all, but the figures are so readily available from so many sources I'll let you pick through them yourself. You'll find variations in figures within the ranges I provided in summary.

Just Google the one you want to read about:
"How many homeless are mentally ill?"
"How many homeless have addiction / substance abuse problems?"
"How many homeless are employed?"

Etc.

Thing is, in these times, information is readily available to those who wish to educate themselves. Trick is only to seek independent source reporting as much as possible, rather than agenda-driven special interest reporting. When reading any source, independent or agenda-driven, pay attention to study / research citations and follow the links to ensure you aren't being fed half the statistical story.

Most folks aren't in the slightest interested in doing as I suggest, though. Their interest lies in confirming their personal biases. More fun to demonize than understand reality.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:17 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,049,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not to be rude, at all, but the figures are so readily available from so many sources I'll let you pick through them yourself. You'll find variations in figures within the ranges I provided in summary.

Just Google the one you want to read about:
"How many homeless are mentally ill?"
"How many homeless have addiction / substance abuse problems?"
"How many homeless are employed?"

Thing is, in these times, information is readily available to those who wish to educate themselves. Trick is only to seek independent source reporting as much as possible, rather than agenda-driven special interest reporting. When reading any source, independent or agenda-driven, pay attention to study / research citations and follow the links to ensure you aren't being fed half the statistical story.

Most folks aren't in the slightest interested in doing as I suggest, though. Their interest lies in confirming their personal biases. More fun to demonize than understand reality.
Ok I'll play your game. After a quick Google search I found this:

Homeless in Los Angeles County

16-20% of homeless are employed, not the 25-35% you stated were employed AND sober.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
If you want an actual answer that doesn't violate anybodies rights. The federal government is the only entity that can do anything about the current situation. You should look into the homeless situation in other Westcoast cities: Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, Boulder, San Diego. Eastcoast cities too. The big problem for the USA is that you cannot detain a mentally ill homeless person against their will unless they are an immediate danger to themselves or others. Multiple court cases have clearly spelled this out. The most immediate solution IMO is to have storage facilities where homeless can leave their stuff. Another solution would be bigger social safety nets but most people are against that as well.

For more clarity you can read Jones v. Los Angeles
I agree that the federal government should get involved.

But "immediate danger to themselves or others" is relative.
Oftentimes it seems there is a policy of just ignoring people that might be a danger.
Honestly, do you feel safe when you see a mentally ill person ,homeless or not ..that is jerking around violently and screaming obscenities and threats at people including children. Plenty of this on display in L.A , but it just seems tolerated.

Also storage facilities? Have you seen how much stuff is hoarded buy some of the homeless? Many have multiple large shopping carts at stuff...Sorry I don't want to be paying to store their stuff..
Storage units are very expensive especially in L.A

Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Ok I'll play your game. After a quick Google search I found this:

Homeless in Los Angeles County

16-20% of homeless are employed, not the 25-35% you stated were employed AND sober.
Tulemutt said it was true so it must be true. Tulemutt doesn't even live in L.A and I don't think they ever lived in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles