U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 857 times

Advertisements

“Parents Restrict Toy Guns, Why Not Restrict Toy Cars?”: That’s the title of a Streetsblog LA blog post shared today and linked to below.

http://la.streetsblog.org/2016/04/26...etsr4families/

In the article, the author admits to editing at least one of his child’s classic children’s books to promote walking and biking over driving, and to “elaborating” to his child that “cars are dangerous and bikes are awesome.”

Between posts like these and transformative transportation schemes like Mobility Plan 2035, I have to ask: Is there a war on cars in LA?

I’m not personally against alternate forms of transportation. During my four years studying at USC, I relied exclusively on walking, biking (or skateboarding, rather), and public transportation to connect me with leisure and internship opportunities. Even now as a working adult, I choose to live within walking distance of a Red Line station so that I can take the line for trips to Hollywood and DTLA.

However, as the proud owner of a car, I strongly disagree with the apparent belief, of the above mentioned author and others, that cars are worthless killing machines. I believe cars connect people and goods to places efficiently and comfortably, which is probably why they became so popular in the first place.

Although LA’s public transportation is expansive, fast it is not. Even with traffic, driving is often two or three times as fast as making the trip by alternate means. (I don’t understand how sitting in traffic is a waste of one’s life but pedaling for even longer periods on a bicycle or making multiple bus transfers is some kind of nirvana.)

And for the many Angelenos already burdened by exorbitant housing costs, cars allow them the cargo space to save money by buying goods in bulk at stores like Costco rather than at higher prices at street corner pharmacies, for example.

Even if time and the transportation of goods weren't issues, not everyone can cycle in 90+ degree heat without arriving to their destination a sweaty mess (which is inappropriate in many situations, especially work).

Many will say the solution is to live close to where one works and otherwise spends his time. But given the current housing shortage, that's not always financially feasible. Consider someone who has an administrator-level job in Century City. Is there any affordable housing within three miles of there?

With autonomous driving and electric technology developing, cars have the potential to be safer, more efficient, and cleaner than ever before, so I don't understand the continued effort to vilify them.

Is there any evidence to suggest that a majority of Angelenos support, much less plan to use, all the bike and bus-only lanes the city is installing at the expense of car lanes? Or is a war on cars being waged and won by a vocal minority?

Last edited by TopThrill182; 04-26-2016 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:20 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Good lord. No. There is not a war on cars in Los Angeles. Stop freaking out over a ****ing blog post.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:21 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,237,191 times
The micromanaging and nonstop social engineering coming out of Sacramento is asinine; over 70% of the new cars sold in this state are imports including lots of pricey imports, yet the commitment of staggering amounts of $$$$ to bike lanes and light-rail makes no sense whatsoever.

But then Sacramento has been issuing tons of stupid mandates for decades, including mandating hybrid and electric car sales levels which is not going to happen since such cars are too expensive and don't make sense for most Californians.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,780,821 times
Politicians have a utopian pipe dream of getting everyone to use public transportation and ride bikes. We have to fight them at every turn. John & Ken talk about this all the time.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:27 AM

4,541 posts, read 805,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champakrom View Post
Ain't nothing wrong about that...
There is plenty wrong with that, for a lot of people it does NOT make sense at all. Me included, I will not give up the convenience of my car and nor should I have to.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:20 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champakrom View Post
Ain't nothing wrong about that...
There is. Public transportation is insufficient and zoning is still way too restrictive. The Mobility Plan provides the worst of both worlds - making driving more difficult while doing nothing to remedy the restrictive zoning that makes 80 percent of the city R1.

Obviously LA needs more public transportation. Even without the Mobility Plan (which I oppose) driving has become expensive, difficult, and also extremely dangerous.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,326,154 times
A war on cars? How about the war on pedestrians?

Los Angeles County has over 500 miles of Freeways and nearly 400 miles of Highways.

Miles of Public Roads

Currently, we have about 100 miles of subway/light rail lines. Metrolink adds about another 250 miles of commuter rail within LA County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_An...tro_Rail#Lines

In 1945, we had over 1,100 miles of inter-urban rail lines via the Pacific-Electric system (which included LA, Orange and S.B. Counties).

We have massively subsidized cars for years via freeways, highways and roads. There is no silver bullet solution.

-Adding back some rail is one part of the solution. The "congestion pricing" via Fast Trak is another part of the solution and one the free market crowd should embrace.

-LA has some of the best walking weather in the country. Yet people sit for hours in their car. We'll never be Paris or NYC nor should we try to be. But striking a better balance between cars/highways and walking/rail/bus is a reasonable and logical way to go after decades of "social engineering" via the highway/freeway system.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 AM

4,948 posts, read 6,872,223 times
What happened to the war on Christmas? And the war on traditional family values? Now, there's a war on cars?
Sweet.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 2,138,154 times
The Democrat party also hates job and tax producing business
I left my car at a shop to get the bumper painted and took the bus home and then back to pick it up. Took 2 hours each way, takes 20 minutes by car..

Old 04-27-2016, 10:58 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The micromanaging and nonstop social engineering coming out of Sacramento is asinine; over 70% of the new cars sold in this state are imports including lots of pricey imports, yet the commitment of staggering amounts of $$$$ to bike lanes and light-rail makes no sense whatsoever..
Well certainly they are spending more on bikes and light rail than they used to, but, I don't think they are spending a "staggering" amount. Bike and pedestrian projects are still only around 2% of the total transpo budget, which is a big improvement from the old days. Bike and sidewalk money isn't really taking away money from car money.

And it is true that light rail is expensive. Most of those lines are a billion or two apiece. But then again, that car pool lane on the 405 through the Sepulveda pass that they finished last year was also a billion dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or