U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
Reputation: 3323

Advertisements

I live in the valley and usually use the metro for games at staples. It's great as it saves you the cost of parking and can be much faster than traffic on the 101. The only thing that I don't like is the ride home. Blue/expo line trains aren't timed well and the platform can get super crowded. Then you have to transfer back to the red line, which can involve more waiting. If you were at a night game, traffic is usually limited on the freeway after 10:30 and driving is much faster than the trains.

Last edited by BRinSM; 04-28-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
10,403 posts, read 2,305,652 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I live in the he valley and usually use the metro for games at staples. It's great as it saves you the cost of parking and can be much faster than traffic on the 101. The only thing that I don't like is the ride home. Blue/expo line trains aren't timed well and the platform can get super busy. Then you have to transfer back to the redline, which can involve more waiting. If you were at a night game, traffic is usually limited on the freeway and driving is much faster than the trains.
I completely agree!! Coming home is usually a breeze, but driving down there can be horrible!

Have you ever walked to the 7th street station from Staples Center and skipped the Blue line after the games? It doesn't look too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I completely agree!! Coming home is usually a breeze, but driving down there can be horrible!

Have you ever walked to the 7th street station from Staples Center and skipped the Blue line after the games? It doesn't look too far.
I have walked it. Not far at all. Sometimes is faster than waiting for the next train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
Reputation: 3323
I've walked it as well, it's not far, but not close either. it's only 4 blocks, but they are pretty big blocks. i've done it multiple actually, with no issue, but certain people may not like walking around downtown at 10:30 at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
10,403 posts, read 2,305,652 times
Reputation: 1475
I think if there was a bunch of people walking I would be fine with it. Wouldn't want to do it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM
 
4,032 posts, read 8,304,082 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I've walked it as well, it's not far, but not close either. it's only 4 blocks, but they are pretty big blocks. i've done it multiple actually, with no issue, but certain people may not like walking around downtown at 10:30 at night.
The parking lot I use for going to games at Staples is at 9th/Fig and enters into a building just before Denny's and fatburger. The metro station is only a block and a half more. So I was also confused by why OP took uber back to Universal City rather than just walk 10 minutes up fig. Honestly I'd probably do that every time rather than deal with the blue line.

And that area...even at 3am it's not really a safety issue. At 1030pm after a game or concert, walking fig from staples to 7th/fig is no saety issue whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
10,403 posts, read 2,305,652 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The parking lot I use for going to games at Staples is at 9th/Fig and enters into a building just before Denny's and fatburger. The metro station is only a block and a half more. So I was also confused by why OP took uber back to Universal City rather than just walk 10 minutes up fig. Honestly I'd probably do that every time rather than deal with the blue line.

And that area...even at 3am it's not really a safety issue. At 1030pm after a game or concert, walking fig from staples to 7th/fig is no saety issue whatsoever.
I'm sorry if that was confusing, we took Uber from the 7th street station to Universal. It was going to be almost a half hour before the Red Line train would come, and the platform was completely packed so we didn't know if we would get on that train.

I do think we will try walking from the Staples center to the 7th street station next time, and skip the blue line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,859,380 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmrboja View Post
Better to wait since it can take less than 3-5 minutes for train to come.. Unless there is way too much people.
Sometimes after games it is just nicer to walk. Nothing like going from a crowded arena to a crowded train. If you're not in a hurry, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top