U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 03:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,231,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I am visiting the Los Angeles area for the second time in 6 months and I am very surprised of the lack of Black Americans I see through out the city and surrounding areas. I'm visiting from the east coast and it's a little odd not seeing a certain amount of Black Americans in the population. What's the deal?
As a Black American born and raised here, I've gotten used to it. So much so, that when I go to certain cities back east or down south I'm taken back by the sheer number of Blacks I see. I'm just not used to seeing it anymore. It wasn't always like that. I remember LA, Inglewood, Compton, and even Pasadena having quite a few Blacks when I was a kid. I remember going to the drive in theater on Rosecrans in Compton as a little kid. It was like Chocolate city! Boy have things changed.

I have many friends I grew up with who have relocated down south. They have tried and tried to get me to relocate. My answer is always the same. I've seen enough of places like Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina to know I don't want to live in those places. That's no knock against them. They just aren't for me. I don't have to be around all or majority Blacks to feel comfortable in my own skin. There is a different cultural experience to be had in places like Houston, Atlanta or Charlotte. That's why I like visiting. My family is from the South. So there is a certain connection I feel when I'm there. But California is home for me.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:09 PM

36 posts, read 21,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmrboja View Post
at least the people and cost of living is great.
Cost of living = Great

Jobs = Terrible

People = Depends on where you are

Old 04-29-2016, 03:18 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
OP should never leave the country. Don't go to Australia/New Zealand especially.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM

8,273 posts, read 10,516,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG21 View Post
Population of Atlanta: 5.5 Million
Check your figures...they're off just a little:

Atlanta/Population
447,841 (2013)

Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM

205 posts, read 106,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterease View Post
Hi OP,
I'm Black or whatever you call us (Lol). I am a transplant from Atlanta. In my humble opinion, one has to REALLY want to live in LA to uproot and relocate here. First, the COL and housing is no joke compared to Atlanta. One has to want to pay high rent prices no matter what to enjoy what LA has to offer. Fortunately, I found living arrangements that were comfortable enough for me here in LA that were similar to living in my 4 bdrm home in Atlanta. I don't think I could ever live in an apartment with noise above, below, and beside me. All in all, one has to really want to be in this city, pay the high prices, deal with the traffic to leave a more compatible and affordable environment. I am blessed that I can afford to live here in a nice environment, but trust me, if I had to struggle in any way, I'd be out! It just is not worth it , better to visit throughout the year. I think many Blacks don't choose to relocate here basically because of the high COL and rent! Much better in other places in the country unless, like me, you were ready for a change, willing to pay the COL, and your income can support you comfortably here in California. I do not see myself here forever, but for now, I love it! Best wishes!
I've been wanting to move to LA for the longest. How are the job opportunities out there? I am currently working on an AFA degree in Graphic Design but it seems as if it would be highly competitive to find a position in LA. Also, how are race relations? I've heard horror stories about Mexican gangs threatening and killing Black people in certain areas like Inglewood. Is this something you have seen personally or is it all hype?

Old 04-29-2016, 05:03 PM

205 posts, read 106,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This is happening all across the country including cities back east, including DC and Atlanta.
Very true. Black people are leaving the city of DC in droves and moving to MD or down south.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 PM

52,641 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG21 View Post
Atlanta: 54% Black

Population of Atlanta: 5.5 Million

Detroit, MI: 84.3% Black

Population: 580,000

Statistically speaking yes you are correct there is a larger black demographic in those cities, however that is proportional to how big those cites are

Also I don't think his business would do well in Detroit to be honest.
Atlanta doesn't have 5.5 million in the city and Detroit has more than 580,000 within its city limits. Atlanta has about 456,000 and Detroit has about 680,000 people(2014 info).

Old 04-29-2016, 05:24 PM

52,641 posts, read 75,477,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Very true. Black people are leaving the city of DC in droves and moving to MD or down south.
I don't know if it is that Blacks are leaving in droves versus Whites are moving back into DC at a higher rate.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 PM

5,815 posts, read 3,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmrboja View Post
You mean covenant.

the dangers of posting by phone I backed it off twice trying to get the auto correct to accept
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I've been wanting to move to LA for the longest. How are the job opportunities out there? I am currently working on an AFA degree in Graphic Design but it seems as if it would be highly competitive to find a position in LA. Also, how are race relations? I've heard horror stories about Mexican gangs threatening and killing Black people in certain areas like Inglewood. Is this something you have seen personally or is it all hype?
More so hype. In the past 10 years Crip versus Crip next street over and Crip versus Blood violence is way down, however the nightmare scenario of the late 80s that the Mexican and Salvadorian gangs would start to take on the Black gangs has started. First in Mar Vista/Venice areas in western LA and in the Harbor Gateway and has been creeping to other South Central areas long controlled by various Crips and Bloods from the Gateway. But out right threats to residents?, I have only heard of them coming from eastern LA County (Inglewood is considered borderline of the South Bay west of South Central LA) where the first Black families move into old time Latino gang territory.

In South Central and the South Bay which has seen increasing Latino population gains in the past 30 years you would see minor violence at high schools normally around this time of year as the Blacks retaliating for the perceived slights done by Mexicans and other Central Americans during school African American History month celebrations act up during the Cinco De Mayo celebrations and then the big racial fight at a high school happens. It has happened in Inglewood School District, Centennial Valley School District as well as Los Angeles Unified School District schools if a race riot happened at one of the Compton schools I don't remember it

Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM

508 posts, read 362,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Atlanta doesn't have 5.5 million in the city and Detroit has more than 580,000 within its city limits. Atlanta has about 456,000 and Detroit has about 680,000 people(2014 info).
The population figures quoted are for the Metropolitan areas. It doesn't make any sense just to look at the city population figures. A large percentage of blacks in Atlanta live in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or