U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-29-2016, 10:44 PM
 
123 posts, read 135,171 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Well, I'm just getting back in after driving and exploring the city again since this morning. LA is a cool, awesome city and I'm going to be depressed when I get back to Atlanta. LOL! My culture shock is over. Everyone seems nice and I'm even more in love with the LA area than before. Damn, I may have a reverse culture shock when I get off the plane in Atlanta. LOL!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 AM
 
205 posts, read 159,590 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if it is that Blacks are leaving in droves versus Whites are moving back into DC at a higher rate.
A lot of people are being priced out so they have no choice but to move somewhere else. I moved away from the DC area for about twenty years and now it looks completely different when you go in certain neighborhoods. I'm glad to see new businesses but a lot of the issues such as gang violence are just being relocated to MD rather than solved. NYC is also going through the same thing. Harlem still looks the same as it did about ten years ago structurally but you see little changes in demographics here and there. It will probably take about ten years to see major changes in all the US cities. DC and NYC are somewhat similar with regards to rent prices now.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 AM
 
205 posts, read 159,590 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
the dangers of posting by phone I backed it off twice trying to get the auto correct to accept


More so hype. In the past 10 years Crip versus Crip next street over and Crip versus Blood violence is way down, however the nightmare scenario of the late 80s that the Mexican and Salvadorian gangs would start to take on the Black gangs has started. First in Mar Vista/Venice areas in western LA and in the Harbor Gateway and has been creeping to other South Central areas long controlled by various Crips and Bloods from the Gateway. But out right threats to residents?, I have only heard of them coming from eastern LA County (Inglewood is considered borderline of the South Bay west of South Central LA) where the first Black families move into old time Latino gang territory.

In South Central and the South Bay which has seen increasing Latino population gains in the past 30 years you would see minor violence at high schools normally around this time of year as the Blacks retaliating for the perceived slights done by Mexicans and other Central Americans during school African American History month celebrations act up during the Cinco De Mayo celebrations and then the big racial fight at a high school happens. It has happened in Inglewood School District, Centennial Valley School District as well as Los Angeles Unified School District schools if a race riot happened at one of the Compton schools I don't remember it
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess it is important to choose the right location. I've seen on some online blogs that the goal for Mexicans is to take over California and Texas though (trying to get their territory back). I wonder what that means for Whites/Blacks/Asians in the long term who live in these states? I drove through Watts to visit the Watts Towers back in December when I visited and got a few strange looks from some some tough looking Latino guys like I wasn't supposed to be in their territory. A little scary if you don't know what areas are still having conflict. Overall people were pretty cool in the commercial areas though.

I know a few people who have relocated to LA from the East Coast and seem to be doing pretty well. Downtown LA seems pretty neutral. I like the Valley area too but it is very expensive as well. I look on Zillow all the time and I can't believe that some houses in Compton are now $500k! Good for long term residents who can afford it but it looks like you are either stuck paying high rent if you can't buy or cannot easily purchase a house. I may just keep my house in MD and try renting out there for a year to see how it goes first.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,806,469 times
Reputation: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess it is important to choose the right location. I've seen on some online blogs that the goal for Mexicans is to take over California and Texas though (trying to get their territory back). I wonder what that means for Whites/Blacks/Asians in the long term who live in these states? I drove through Watts to visit the Watts Towers back in December when I visited and got a few strange looks from some some tough looking Latino guys like I wasn't supposed to be in their territory. A little scary if you don't know what areas are still having conflict. Overall people were pretty cool in the commercial areas though.

I know a few people who have relocated to LA from the East Coast and seem to be doing pretty well. Downtown LA seems pretty neutral. I like the Valley area too but it is very expensive as well. I look on Zillow all the time and I can't believe that some houses in Compton are now $500k! Good for long term residents who can afford it but it looks like you are either stuck paying high rent if you can't buy or cannot easily purchase a house. I may just keep my house in MD and try renting out there for a year to see how it goes first.
i swear people are so ignorant.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Anaheim
1,961 posts, read 4,244,449 times
Reputation: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
No Thanks! LOL
It would be especially zip codes 90008, 90043, 90047, and 90056. Also Inglewood 90305. But 90008 and 90043 is where many of the cultural events take place, specifically at Lemiert Park.

90016 and 90019 are good places to visit as well even though a tad further removed from the rest of "South Central".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,436 posts, read 2,614,331 times
Reputation: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
i swear people are so ignorant.
Seriously.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM
 
17,815 posts, read 24,372,043 times
Reputation: 36242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess it is important to choose the right location. I've seen on some online blogs that the goal for Mexicans is to take over California and Texas though (trying to get their territory back). I wonder what that means for Whites/Blacks/Asians in the long term who live in these states? I drove through Watts to visit the Watts Towers back in December when I visited and got a few strange looks from some some tough looking Latino guys like I wasn't supposed to be in their territory. A little scary if you don't know what areas are still having conflict. Overall people were pretty cool in the commercial areas though.

I know a few people who have relocated to LA from the East Coast and seem to be doing pretty well. Downtown LA seems pretty neutral. I like the Valley area too but it is very expensive as well. I look on Zillow all the time and I can't believe that some houses in Compton are now $500k! Good for long term residents who can afford it but it looks like you are either stuck paying high rent if you can't buy or cannot easily purchase a house. I may just keep my house in MD and try renting out there for a year to see how it goes first.

Another one who has never lived in LA, dishing out advice, and discussing things they know nothing about.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 AM
 
123 posts, read 135,171 times
Reputation: 149
A lot of people from the east coast that never visited LA have a narrow minded perspective of things in Los Angeles, including myself until now. I have been driving all over Los Angeles and surrounding areas for the past three days and learned a lot and I"m sure I have a lot more to learn. Los Angeles is a awesome place to live if you can afford to live in a decent neighborhood. I am more excited than ever to move here once I get my business affairs in order. I never had a problem with not seeing a lot of Black Americans. I was just surprised, especially after just getting off the plane from Atlanta. Thanks for all of your responses and comments. Anyway, I'm about to hit the highway again for a few hours before my flight leaves later this evening.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM
 
17,815 posts, read 24,372,043 times
Reputation: 36242
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
A lot of people from the east coast that never visited LA have a narrow minded perspective of things in Los Angeles, including myself until now. I have been driving all over Los Angeles and surrounding areas for the past three days and learned a lot and I"m sure I have a lot more to learn. Los Angeles is a awesome place to live if you can afford to live in a decent neighborhood. I am more excited than ever to move here once I get my business affairs in order. I never had a problem with not seeing a lot of Black Americans. I was just surprised, especially after just getting off the plane from Atlanta. Thanks for all of your responses and comments. Anyway, I'm about to hit the highway again for a few hours before my flight leaves later this evening.

Have a safe trip home. But you don't learn all about Los Angeles(or any place) in 3 days. I moved here in 1988, while I know a lot I don't claim to know everything. I will still find out about something I didn't know or an area I am not familiar with. I wouldn't go to Atlanta for 3 days, drive around, and than start telling people where it's a good place to live or not, based on driving through an area once.

You don't have a handle on LA based on a quick trip.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 AM
 
123 posts, read 135,171 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Have a safe trip home. But you don't learn all about Los Angeles(or any place) in 3 days. I moved here in 1988, while I know a lot I don't claim to know everything. I will still find out about something I didn't know or an area I am not familiar with. I wouldn't go to Atlanta for 3 days, drive around, and than start telling people where it's a good place to live or not, based on driving through an area once.

You don't have a handle on LA based on a quick trip.
DUH! I was saying that I've learned a little more than before I came and have a lot more to learn. The things I've learned are simple things that I was totally ignorant about. Baby steps dude.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top