U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,983,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Well, again I'm not FROM LA and I'm not trying to make any blanket statements about anyone (disclaimer) but I have read accounts of Black people being targeted for violent crime...
I'm going to stop right here. This has been an ongoing issue in this entire country for hundreds of years, from the moment they brought all those African slaves to the "New World." I can't think of one decade when Blacks were not targeted for violent crime. Welcome to AmeriKKKa.

There is no blatant tension one could cut with a knife in Los Angeles. You can't believe everything you read online.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:33 AM

44,700 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Quote:
Very true. Black people are leaving the city of DC in droves and moving to MD or down south.
Black people are leaving any city that is seeing large amounts of gentrification. Atlanta proper still holds a Black majority. However, Blacks have been leaving Atlanta proper over the last decade. Same for Oakland. Same for Charleston.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM

205 posts, read 106,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Black people are leaving any city that is seeing large amounts of gentrification. Atlanta proper still holds a Black majority. However, Blacks have been leaving Atlanta proper over the last decade. Same for Oakland. Same for Charleston.
So, if Blacks can't even feel comfortable in Atlanta (which used to be the Black Mecca from what I heard) what areas are left? The suburbs are slowly decaying in a lot of areas as well. I'm dealing with this issue now in my neighborhood which is why I am looking for other areas to live. That is why Black people have to step up their entrepreneurial game and become business owners. Sad...

Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I'm going to stop right here. This has been an ongoing issue in this entire country for hundreds of years, from the moment they brought all those African slaves to the "New World." I can't think of one decade when Blacks were not targeted for violent crime. Welcome to AmeriKKKa.

There is no blatant tension one could cut with a knife in Los Angeles. You can't believe everything you read online.
Very true but the levels of discrimination in each city are different. It hasn't been blatant for me personally but it has been for other AAs (whose stories I mentioned earlier). For the most part, I have felt very comfortable in NYC and DC because there were a substantial amount of middle class blacks that enjoy economic prosperity in the areas I lived in. Walking into certain stores/restaurants isn't an anomaly for an AA here as opposed to other cities with low percentages of AA or where AAs suffer from economic disparity. When I go into a store in MD, I don't get the strange long stares that I may get out West (in middle class or affluent neighborhoods) like I don't belong there. Again, I don't know your race/ethnicity but this is something that primarily AAs are far too familiar with in many areas of the country. I'd hate to see how I would be treated if I fit any of the stereotypes that are pinned on all of us.

Edit: I have been told that living in PG County, MD is like living in a bubble compared to the rest of the country so I may be more easily shocked at racial incidents than others due to my lack of having experienced much of them.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,175,745 times
Quote:
So, if Blacks can't even feel comfortable in Atlanta (which used to be the Black Mecca from what I heard) what areas are left? The suburbs are slowly decaying in a lot of areas as well. I'm dealing with this issue now in my neighborhood which is why I am looking for other areas to live. That is why Black people have to step up their entrepreneurial game and become business owners. Sad...
Blacks can feel comfortable anywhere. That's the main problem have with this thread. Your just scaring yourself from being anywhere even in freaking ATL.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,983,632 times
Quote:
Very true but the levels of discrimination in each city are different. It hasn't been blatant for me personally but it has been for other AAs (whose stories I mentioned earlier). For the most part, I have felt very comfortable in NYC and DC because there were a substantial amount of middle class blacks that enjoy economic prosperity in the areas I lived in. Walking into certain stores/restaurants isn't an anomaly for an AA here as opposed to other cities with low percentages of AA or where AAs suffer from economic disparity. When I go into a store in MD, I don't get the strange long stares that I may get out West (in middle class or affluent neighborhoods) like I don't belong there. Again, I don't know your race/ethnicity but this is something that primarily AAs are far too familiar with in many areas of the country. I'd hate to see how I would be treated if I fit any of the stereotypes that are pinned on all of us.
Have you ever lived out West to experience all of these stares we apparently get? I'm Black, by the way.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM

24,319 posts, read 13,791,712 times
Quote:
Just curious about what you mean about the suburbs slowly decaying. Are these suburbs that have been known as black neighborhoods? Or do you mean the suburbs of Atlanta just in general?

It seems the trend nationwide is that people want to live close to the city center if they can afford to.

I always hear people mention the suburbs of Atlanta or Chicago or Detroit. But we really use that term in Los Angeles. Perhaps the valley areas were considered 'suburbs' but populations have risen so much that they have turned into urban.

I wonder if this is happening in Atlanta too where the suburbs are becoming urban?

I agree that there should be more black business owners and entrepreneurs.

It seems the top/most well known ones have made their money in entertainment and sports (a form of entertainment)
Richest African Americans | List of Famous Rich Black People

Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,175,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just curious about what you mean about the suburbs slowly decaying. Are these suburbs that have been known as black neighborhoods? Or do you mean the suburbs of Atlanta just in general?

It seems the trend nationwide is that people want to live close to the city center if they can afford to.

I always hear people mention the suburbs of Atlanta or Chicago or Detroit. But we really use that term in Los Angeles. Perhaps the valley areas were considered 'suburbs' but populations have risen so much that they have turned into urban.

I wonder if this is happening in Atlanta too where the suburbs are becoming urban?

I agree that there should be more black business owners and entrepreneurs.

It seems the top/most well known ones have made their money in entertainment and sports (a form of entertainment)
Richest African Americans | List of Famous Rich Black People
They are not...At least not where the black people live.

The suburbs of ATL are real suburbs though that don't most neighborhoods don't have sidewalks and the geography is not conducive to walking. The SFV is very urban in comparison, especially the parts closet to Ventura BLVD. SCV would be a more apt comparison.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 AM

107 posts, read 86,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Have you ever lived out West to experience all of these stares we apparently get? I'm Black, by the way.
What part of California do you live in? How long have you lived there? What are your experiences with other races outside of your community?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Blacks can feel comfortable anywhere. That's the main problem have with this thread. Your just scaring yourself from being anywhere even in freaking ATL.
It's not that I'm scared. Like I said, I go where I want to go because it's a free country. It has more to do with the level of comfort I will experience actually LIVING in certain areas. I often venture into areas where many Blacks don't go so I do encounter the staring or the question "Where are you from?" (E.g. In places like Salt Lake City or on a NA reservation out in NM). Sometimes it is just curiosity but other times, the subtle racial undertone is there. My experiences will probably be different than someone who usually hangs out in areas with more Blacks (e.g. Crenshaw or Inglewood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or