U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 03:01 PM

44,664 posts, read 43,196,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Thanks, that clarifies the previous answer. I took it to mean that Blacks are leaving Atlanta as a whole and moving to other cities. I do know that a lot of Blacks and other races have moved from the NE and West to Houston due to the lower COL. I personally prefer a diverse city with a decent COL myself. The problem is that I am into the arts scene which can really only be found in either CA or NY. I'm dealing with the lack of an art community in MD now and it's not fun.
I was thinking more like a geographer. Being in the Atlanta area, there are many Blacks from California, specifically LA, that are moving out here. Many come because compared to LA, Atlanta is cheaper. Many move to the suburbs because there is more space.

One factor in the Greater LA area becoming expensive is geography. 10 million people in LA County alone. The state of Georgia hit 10 million people in 2014, the whole state. 5.5 million people in metro Atlanta. 59,425 sq mi with population density of 165/sq mi. California, though the 3rd largest state in the USA, has a population density of 246/sq mi. More crowded. Then take Los Angeles County. It just hit 10 million around the same time the state of Georgia did. Population density: 2,100/sq mi. Orange County is even more densely populated, at 3,200/sq mi. The least densely populated is San Bernardino. However, there is another part to this.

Greater LA has limiting factors. The Pacific Ocean, the high mountains. The Inland Empire has alot of desert. Though sprawl is spreading out there, there is only so far to go before going into the unlivable places. Interesting enough, the African-American population is increasing in the Inland Empire. In particular, Moreno Valley. Georgia's "high" mountains are in the far north. Metro Atlanta is landlocked and the Atlantic Ocean is four hours away. Parts of metro Atlanta are spreading into Alabama.

Southern California has alot of geographic beauty, and things to see and do because of it. Its geography can make it expensive.

Houston is a major place for in-migration for the same reason as Atlanta, even more so. Even with the Gulf as a limiting factor, Houston can spread north, south, and west. Texas is very large as well. Alot of room to spread out.

I don't know how the arts scene is in Atlanta or in Maryland. I pay so little attention to it that I don't know what goes on. Oddly enough, more people know about art than they do about what I'm into.

Stuff like geography/geospatial/environment stuff peaks my interest. In the Geography and GIS programs, I was one of two Blacks in either program at my university when I graduated. I got used to being the only Black student(or one of two or 3) in my higher classes. I got so used to it I didn't notice.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 PM

205 posts, read 106,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was thinking more like a geographer. Being in the Atlanta area, there are many Blacks from California, specifically LA, that are moving out here. Many come because compared to LA, Atlanta is cheaper. Many move to the suburbs because there is more space.

One factor in the Greater LA area becoming expensive is geography. 10 million people in LA County alone. The state of Georgia hit 10 million people in 2014, the whole state. 5.5 million people in metro Atlanta. 59,425 sq mi with population density of 165/sq mi. California, though the 3rd largest state in the USA, has a population density of 246/sq mi. More crowded. Then take Los Angeles County. It just hit 10 million around the same time the state of Georgia did. Population density: 2,100/sq mi. Orange County is even more densely populated, at 3,200/sq mi. The least densely populated is San Bernardino. However, there is another part to this.

Greater LA has limiting factors. The Pacific Ocean, the high mountains. The Inland Empire has alot of desert. Though sprawl is spreading out there, there is only so far to go before going into the unlivable places. Interesting enough, the African-American population is increasing in the Inland Empire. In particular, Moreno Valley. Georgia's "high" mountains are in the far north. Metro Atlanta is landlocked and the Atlantic Ocean is four hours away. Parts of metro Atlanta are spreading into Alabama.

Southern California has alot of geographic beauty, and things to see and do because of it. Its geography can make it expensive.

Houston is a major place for in-migration for the same reason as Atlanta, even more so. Even with the Gulf as a limiting factor, Houston can spread north, south, and west. Texas is very large as well. Alot of room to spread out.

I don't know how the arts scene is in Atlanta or in Maryland. I pay so little attention to it that I don't know what goes on. Oddly enough, more people know about art than they do about what I'm into.

Stuff like geography/geospatial/environment stuff peaks my interest. In the Geography and GIS programs, I was one of two Blacks in either program at my university when I graduated. I got used to being the only Black student(or one of two or 3) in my higher classes. I got so used to it I didn't notice.
Interesting, thanks for the detailed info! Yes, it does makes sense that many people would relocate to Houston when you factor in the geographic potential for growth. I haven't gotten a chance to check out the mountains in GA but I possibly will at some point. Southern culture is cool but it is not really my thing. I think culturally, SoCal is more of a fit for me. I love the Pacific Ocean (especially around the Big Sur/CA 1 area). It is absolutely stunning.

Congrats on your degree! Yes, that is a very unique major, especially for an AA, but it is much needed. I took a few geography courses for my undergrad degree. I especially enjoyed learning about the tectonic plates and Pangea, which is pretty relevant as people are always wondering about the possibility of Tsunamis and earthquakes both on the East and West Coasts.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
This is the definition of black mecca. Only DC and Atlanta fits the definition of black mecca.

A black mecca, in the United States, is a city to which African Americans, particularly professionals, are drawn to live, due to some or all of the following factors:

-superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
-black political power in a city
-leading black educational institutions in a city
-a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
-harmonious black-white race relations in a city

As far as blacks leaving Atlanta they are leaving for the suburbs. Atlanta had the first housing project in the country (Techwood) and dozens of others were built in the CITY OF ATLANTA. After the city got rid of most of them those low income people moved to the suburbs. Also the average black person moving to Atlanta from somewhere with a high COL is probably going to move to the suburbs in a big house verses living in the city, generally speaking
Thank you. The items on this list are things that I took for granted growing up. I do see the difference when I leave the NE with regards to the standard of living for many Blacks. There definitely seems to be a greater gap between poor and rich with an ever-lessening middle class (which is happening pretty much everywhere in the US). People here become wealthy by working in banking or the government which isn't the case in a place like LA, as it is more entertainment-based. I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the difference. As most of my friends who moved to other parts of the US seem to be doing well, I'm sure I could adjust to a different way of living. I had a friend move to Seattle. The culture out there is a total culture shock to people like me, yet she seems to be doing ok. I appreciate the details you provided in regards to my inquiries.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM

I noticed that most of the responses are coming from AA males. Are there any AA females who can offer their perspective in life in LA? I'm curious to see if/how the responses may differ. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 PM

107 posts, read 86,083 times
I'm pretty ok with Southern California not having a high population of black people. It actually adds more to the change of scenery, which I'm so desperately seeking. It was never an issue for me. I was just surprised after leaving the chocolate city of Atlanta, GA

Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,980,637 times
Quote:
I noticed that most of the responses are coming from AA males. Are there any AA females who can offer their perspective in life in LA? I'm curious to see if/how the responses may differ. Thanks in advance!
I'm a Black female. I tried to tell you there's no obvious tension here, but it seems what I'm saying is going in one ear and out the other.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the detailed info! Yes, it does makes sense that many people would relocate to Houston when you factor in the geographic potential for growth. I haven't gotten a chance to check out the mountains in GA but I possibly will at some point. Southern culture is cool but it is not really my thing. I think culturally, SoCal is more of a fit for me. I love the Pacific Ocean (especially around the Big Sur/CA 1 area). It is absolutely stunning.

Congrats on your degree! Yes, that is a very unique major, especially for an AA, but it is much needed. I took a few geography courses for my undergrad degree. I especially enjoyed learning about the tectonic plates and Pangea, which is pretty relevant as people are always wondering about the possibility of Tsunamis and earthquakes both on the East and West Coasts.
No problem and thank you. Being someone who is into geography, I find myself embarrassed that I didn't think of those things sooner.

I will say thing. I'm not that impressed with the mountains of Georgia. They are beautiful. However, after having lived in the western USA at one point, the Appalachians of North GA can sometimes feel like a letdown. There are people getting cabins in the GA mountains. And there are many things in southern culture I don't relate to.

That Pacific Ocean, yes, it is something. I've been swimming in that ocean. It was fun, especially going up some of the waves.

I sort of assumed that I would be the only Black person in most of my geography classes. I mentioned my major because you had mentioned the art scene. I was wondering what you might have been looking for in terms of being part of the arts scene. I thought about the stuff I was into in college. Some things I was into, I got used to being the one Black guy, or one of two or three. I grew up living in a predominantly White suburb(exurb if you really think about it). Maybe that got me used to certain things.

Now, I do know that in Atlanta, the hip hop scene is big. The entertainment industry is beginning to turn metro Atlanta into the South's version of Los Angeles. Tyler Perry Studios is out here.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I never thought about that. However, this is just what I have to say. I do feel that the kind of racism a Black male will experience will be different from what a Black female will experience.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I'm pretty ok with Southern California not having a high population of black people. It actually adds more to the change of scenery, which I'm so desperately seeking. It was never an issue for me. I was just surprised after leaving the chocolate city of Atlanta, GA
It can definitely be a positive thing to be exposed to cultures that are not your own. I have been around other cultures since I was a teenager and it definitely gives me a different perspective than someone who has been around only AAs all their life. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I'm a Black female. I tried to tell you there's no obvious tension here, but it seems what I'm saying is going in one ear and out the other.
I am definitely listening to everyone's imput. I apologize if my wording makes it seem like I am not. What areas of LA do you/have you lived in and do you feel that you have had different experiences based on the parts of CA that you have visited in/out of LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or