U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM

205 posts, read 106,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I never thought about that. However, this is just what I have to say. I do feel that the kind of racism a Black male will experience will be different from what a Black female will experience.
Definitely! I wouldn't even pretend to know the first thing about racism that an AA male experiences. I've never had any major run ins with the police. Ironically, I was pulled over for texting and driving recently (I know...horrible) and the officer was friendly and just gave me a warning. I'm assuming the fact that I am female and my non-threatening demeanor has a lot to do with it. An AA male might have had a totally different experience. I am definitely sympathetic in that regards and am sensitive to what AA males have to go through in the workplace and in everyday life.

Last edited by NYtoDC; 05-02-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No problem and thank you. Being someone who is into geography, I find myself embarrassed that I didn't think of those things sooner.

I will say thing. I'm not that impressed with the mountains of Georgia. They are beautiful. However, after having lived in the western USA at one point, the Appalachians of North GA can sometimes feel like a letdown. There are people getting cabins in the GA mountains. And there are many things in southern culture I don't relate to.

That Pacific Ocean, yes, it is something. I've been swimming in that ocean. It was fun, especially going up some of the waves.

I sort of assumed that I would be the only Black person in most of my geography classes. I mentioned my major because you had mentioned the art scene. I was wondering what you might have been looking for in terms of being part of the arts scene. I thought about the stuff I was into in college. Some things I was into, I got used to being the one Black guy, or one of two or three. I grew up living in a predominantly White suburb(exurb if you really think about it). Maybe that got me used to certain things.

Now, I do know that in Atlanta, the hip hop scene is big. The entertainment industry is beginning to turn metro Atlanta into the South's version of Los Angeles. Tyler Perry Studios is out here.
Yes, I feel you on the East Coast mountains. What they call mountains in western MD are hills to me. Nowhere near as impressive as the West Coast. If you ever get the chance(if you haven't already), definitely check out Zion National Park in Southern Utah. The scenery will blow your mind (being that you are into geography). Also, Montana and Wyoming are must see spots as well. Absolutely beautiful. If you like hiking, I would also recommend visiting the Havasupai/Hualapai reservation and hiking to see the waterfalls (there are four). After going all over the West Coast and SW, I'm so over the East Coast. Just waiting for the right time to move and good opportunities. It is definitely not a place you move to unprepared. I met a guy in LA back in December who was from NYC and he told us that he was homeless and living in his car for a few months until he got his business together.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 21,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Check your figures...they're off just a little:

Atlanta/Population
447,841 (2013)
"Greater Atlanta Area"

Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Yes, I feel you on the East Coast mountains. What they call mountains in western MD are hills to me. Nowhere near as impressive as the West Coast. If you ever get the chance(if you haven't already), definitely check out Zion National Park in Southern Utah. The scenery will blow your mind (being that you are into geography). Also, Montana and Wyoming are must see spots as well. Absolutely beautiful. If you like hiking, I would also recommend visiting the Havasupai/Hualapai reservation and hiking to see the waterfalls (there are four). After going all over the West Coast and SW, I'm so over the East Coast. Just waiting for the right time to move and good opportunities. It is definitely not a place you move to unprepared. I met a guy in LA back in December who was from NYC and he told us that he was homeless and living in his car for a few months until he got his business together.
smh.....

Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Thank you. The items on this list are things that I took for granted growing up. I do see the difference when I leave the NE with regards to the standard of living for many Blacks. There definitely seems to be a greater gap between poor and rich with an ever-lessening middle class (which is happening pretty much everywhere in the US). People here become wealthy by working in banking or the government which isn't the case in a place like LA, as it is more entertainment-based. I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the difference. As most of my friends who moved to other parts of the US seem to be doing well, I'm sure I could adjust to a different way of living. I had a friend move to Seattle. The culture out there is a total culture shock to people like me, yet she seems to be doing ok. I appreciate the details you provided in regards to my inquiries.
Of course LA has a big government sector. Why would you think it doesn't? The city government, county government, smaller municipalities, state offices, federal offices, courts, UCLA, California State system, community colleges, etc.

On top of all that being that private universities get substantial funding, you can mention USC and Cal Tech (there are other private universities beyond this, including some Catholic ones in LA).

There's also a big hospital sector in LA (hospitals get medicare and medicaid money).

Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course LA has a big government sector. Why would you think it doesn't? The city government, county government, smaller municipalities, state offices, federal offices, courts, UCLA, California State system, community colleges, etc.

On top of all that being that private universities get substantial funding, you can mention USC and Cal Tech (there are other private universities beyond this, including some Catholic ones in LA).

There's also a big hospital sector in LA (hospitals get medicare and medicaid money).
Not saying it doesn't but there is a difference between municipal/state government jobs in the other US states versus the Federal Government jobs in DC. It is a unique situation that literally created the Black middle class in this area back in the day. Without federal government jobs and federal contractor opportunities, I'm sure my area would not have a large group of middle and upper middle class Blacks like it currently does. It is why you don't see wealthy majority Black counties in any other state (with the exception of Atlanta). Obviously, there is even a huge difference between the standard of living in Baltimore versus DC (only 45 minutes away from each other). Totally different economic situations. DCs economic situation somewhat mirrors the start up phenomenon in Silicon Valley (which rapidly created a vast amount of wealth for Whites/Asians in IT in the Bay Area) or Wall Street for NYC. Unique economies in different areas. People from the Midwest are literally flocking here for jobs, driving up the COL and destroying the suburbs through gentrification of DC proper (which is disturbing the economic balance in surrounding metro areas on the MD side). Like another poster stated earlier, it is, most likely, more common for Blacks in majority middle class/upper middle class Black areas like Ladera Heights to have become wealthy through entertainment and sports.

Last edited by NYtoDC; 05-03-2016 at 03:21 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 AM

272 posts, read 177,751 times
I grew up in LA and moved out at the age of 26. When I was growing up, there were lots of blacks (I'm half black and prefer black over African American as we aren't judged on the basis of being African, but skin color) around me, but I noticed the population shrinking throughout the years. My own theory is that through a combination of gang violence, incarceration, increased competition for jobs, and other factors the population has shifted and blacks have left LA in droves. OP go to Oakland if you want to find blacks in CA, because you won't find many in Southern California. I find it ironic that my black grandparents left the South for a better life and that I 2 generations later have moved South for the same reason.

The only place I know of that has a relatively strong black community in Southern California is Baldwin Hills, but that was 6 years ago. When I was there, I was shocked to find that the gardeners were black instead of Mexican. Here in KY it's still somewhat of a culture shock to see white landscapers.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I grew up in LA and moved out at the age of 26. When I was growing up, there were lots of blacks (I'm half black and prefer black over African American as we aren't judged on the basis of being African, but skin color) around me, but I noticed the population shrinking throughout the years. My own theory is that through a combination of gang violence, incarceration, increased competition for jobs, and other factors the population has shifted and blacks have left LA in droves. OP go to Oakland if you want to find blacks in CA, because you won't find many in Southern California. I find it ironic that my black grandparents left the South for a better life and that I 2 generations later have moved South for the same reason.

The only place I know of that has a relatively strong black community in Southern California is Baldwin Hills, but that was 6 years ago. When I was there, I was shocked to find that the gardeners were black instead of Mexican. Here in KY it's still somewhat of a culture shock to see white landscapers.
Thanks for the info! I've heard that Oakland is rapidly gentrifying as well. The proximity to SF is also raising the rents/home prices there also. The issues that you mentioned are the things that I have also heard over the years which is why I have hesitated to make the move (I've been considering it for over a decade now). I visit as much as I can to get my "California Fix" and I'm always sad to leave. However, I have stability here in MD now and I wouldn't want to trade that. If I was a multi millionaire, I'd make the move in a heartbeat! I have some distant family in Long Beach that are still hanging in there but I think they are older and probably don't want to move. It's definitely different when you are relatively young and still working on making a life for yourself.

It is sad that we as a group are being forced back into the South. Having been exposed to NYC culture for so long, I don't think I could adjust. I'm having a hard time even in MD because the attitudes of people are really different here. The cost of living is lower of course but there are trade offs for affordability as well (such as not as many activities/amenities as in the NE and West). I didn't get a chance to check out Baldwin Hills when I visited Cali in December but I'm sure demographics may have changed there a bit too. It is happening everywhere. I am shocked to hear how much NYC has changed in the six years I've been gone. It's crazy. It is also always strange for me to see white fast food workers when I go through the midwest. On the east coast, usually minimum wage positions are held by Latinos and Blacks. How was it getting adjusted to living in Kentucky? I'm sure that was a HUGE culture shock!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:14 AM

5,809 posts, read 3,090,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post

My family moved into the Dons in 1967 we literally replaced the last White family with school aged kids as they fled while a few seniors remained for the rest of their lives. For all the talk of sports and entertainment high rollers getting in and making the Black legacy it wasn't made by a few entertainers, athletes were not being paid that much back then, it was made by families with two LAUSD teacher salaries flooding the area. As a legacy we picked up a Japanese interment camp survivor as our gardener. When those elder Japanese started to retire there was a short time for the Black gardener but he increasingly became jefe to Latino crews.

Growing up in the 70s besides school teachers I did not know any Whites or Latinos by name until I enlisted in the Army and only my friends who got out of high school at Crenshaw or Dorsey did, at least at Dorsey you were with Asians. It was about ten years ago that White faces started showing up at the Crenshaw Mall and the local Ralphs and Albertsons markets and my wife was just saying that today when a house goes on sale in the Dons you are twice as likely to get someone with light skin buying it then a darker person. My knowledge of the more affluent hills south of Stocker and west of La Brea aren't as intimate I do see white kids being dropped off at Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills Elementary.

My little brother, was assigned to Oakland 20 something years ago

Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Quote:
It is sad that we as a group are being forced back into the South.
How are you being forced? Because you can't afford it out West?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or