U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
That's so weird, I didn't know high COL only affected black people. I must have missed that in my Political Correctness 101 course.
I certainly agree with you on this. I don't know about PC so much, but poverty isn't something only blacks feel and not all blacks live in poverty. The person who posted this is really off base. And to him, BTW, not everyone who relocates to the south does so because of the lower cost of living: some really like wht the south has to offer. There are a lot of places with lower COL outside of CA. and they are not all in southern states.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I'm pretty ok with Southern California not having a high population of black people. It actually adds more to the change of scenery, which I'm so desperately seeking. It was never an issue for me. I was just surprised after leaving the chocolate city of Atlanta, GA
Wow. You are about to be sacrificed to the gods of political correctness...

Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM

205 posts, read 106,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Considering your budget and what you are looking for, I don't see how you find it anywhere near LA. But there are plenty of good places in the South.
I've been through various areas in the South and it just isn't for me. I prefer either weather/culture in LA or culture in NYC.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Considering many things, it is a foregone conclusion reharding leaving the state of Georgia. I started on coty-data back in 2007. I wanted to leave Georgia. I felt like I could identify more with the Western USA. Considering the rising cost of living, it is a foregone conclusion. I will pretty much be in the Atlanta area for a while. At least I have a job. Atlanta is becoming more expensive, so moving into Atlanta proper would be a pinch.
Yes, this is the situation everywhere. I lile nature but I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere for affordability. I've resigned myself to the fact that I may be stuck in MD due to how expensive it is in the cities that I actually enjoy. I'm not willing to live with a bunch of people or in a crime-filled area at this point in my life. FL may be the only option but even COL in Miami is getting crazy due to the gentrification. Plus, you have to be fluent in Spanish to get a job in many places down there.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Yes, this is the situation everywhere. I lile nature but I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere for affordability. I've resigned myself to the fact that I may be stuck in MD due to how expensive it is in the cities that I actually enjoy. I'm not willing to live with a bunch of people or in a crime-filled area at this point in my life. FL may be the only option but even COL in Miami is getting crazy due to the gentrification. Plus, you have to be fluent in Spanish to get a job in many places down there.
FL is one crazy place, I grew up in FL so I know. But yes, if you want to own a home in the type of area you are describing, then you will have to rule out living in LA/NYC and several other very expensive cities. Find a middle ground.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I certainly agree with you on this. I don't know about PC so much, but poverty isn't something only blacks feel and not all blacks live in poverty. The person who posted this is really off base. And to him, BTW, not everyone who relocates to the south does so because of the lower cost of living: some really like wht the south has to offer. There are a lot of places with lower COL outside of CA. and they are not all in southern states.
I know that poverty can affect anyone but if you look in the most downtrodden areas in the US (e.g. Detroit), they are mostly filled with AAs. A lot of us don't have generational wealth or wealthy relatives like other races may have. When you do get something, relatives and friends often come to you asking for financial help. Also, many other races, especially first generation immigrants pool their resources together so that the second generation has better opportunities then they had. This does not often happen in the Black community. I'm AA so I speak on this subject from a place of familiarity. Yes, there are other areas in the US with low cost of living up but we most likely won't be accepted in many of these areas. I can't just decide I want to all of a sudden settle down in Idaho. There are a lot of factors involved. If you take a look at the demographic maps of the US, you'll see that AAs tend to settle in the NE and South, Asians in the PNW and the West Coast, Latinos in the West and SW. People go where they feel they can have a decent life and opportunities for the most part.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
FL is one crazy place, I grew up in FL so I know. But yes, if you want to own a home in the type of area you are describing, then you will have to rule out living in LA/NYC and several other very expensive cities. Find a middle ground.
Yeah, I know. I used to live in campus in Coral Gables. It is definitely coming up though. I love Wynnewood. I'm definitely trying to find a middle ground.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Wow. You are about to be sacrificed to the gods of political correctness...
I'm assuming OceanViewer may be similar to me in that we are both AAs who don't identify with traditional southern AA culture. Nothing wrong with that. AAs aren't a monolithic group.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
You can find a home in Los Angeles County in that price range, but not in Los Angeles City proper and the surrounding areas.
Could you name some specific areas that I could research pls?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 AM

44,577 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I'm in a situation where I live where I live because of COL. I live with my parents, in an exurb of Atlanta. Rents in Atlanta for the decent areas are rising. The cheap areas are kind of dicey. Some suburban areas, well, they are hit or miss. Some are hard to get to without a car. Others are dicey. And even some suburbs are gentrifying.

I've met Blacks from the West Coast. Outside of those who lived in Compton, most want to go back to the West Coast. I know Blacks from Seattle have told me how much they miss it. They let it be know that COL was a major reason for moving to Atlanta. I miss living out in the Seattle area. I know that even with me working in making a decent income, the city, and even some suburbs are getting more expensive. And this is in relatively cheap metro Atlanta. West Coast cities are out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or