U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 PM

31 posts, read 17,911 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of blacks in SC. Long Beach, Compton, South Los Angeles, Ladera Heights, The inland Empire, Inglewood, the list goes on.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM

44,717 posts, read 43,262,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Definitely! I wouldn't even pretend to know the first thing about racism that an AA male experiences. I've never had any major run ins with the police. Ironically, I was pulled over for texting and driving recently (I know...horrible) and the officer was friendly and just gave me a warning. I'm assuming the fact that I am female and my non-threatening demeanor has a lot to do with it. An AA male might have had a totally different experience. I am definitely sympathetic in that regards and am sensitive to what AA males have to go through in the workplace and in everyday life.
Some things can be hard to see. I imagine, as a Black female, you will go through a different set of problems. I can only comment of what I've seen in my family. My mother and sister have never been harassed by the police. My mother has light skin, so I think that definitely plays a role. On the other hand, my mother caught crap for being light-skinned growing up. My sister has caught crap from other Black females. My sister got made fun of for "acting White". She wasn't a stuck up girl. She was more goofy and artsy, and she didn't speak ebonics.

My father has been harassed before. I've been in the car when it took place. The police have been called on me a few times for "looking suspicious". One time the police were called because I rolled my eyes and sighed while leaving an office. While the officer understood I posed no threat, I thought of this. Being 18 at the time(and sometimes mistaken for being as young as 13 at that time), being 5'5", 130 lbs. I was smaller than the persons in the office. I don't present myself as ghetto. And yet, me appearing upset was enough to facilitate a call to the police. My brother and me also got alot more bullying from White kids than my sister did. I got it from both Black and White kids. I "acted White" according to some kids. I even got such comments from White kids. I also got my share of racial harassment. Being male and female can mean alot of different things.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,597,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some things can be hard to see. I imagine, as a Black female, you will go through a different set of problems. I can only comment of what I've seen in my family. My mother and sister have never been harassed by the police. My mother has light skin, so I think that definitely plays a role. On the other hand, my mother caught crap for being light-skinned growing up. My sister has caught crap from other Black females. My sister got made fun of for "acting White". She wasn't a stuck up girl. She was more goofy and artsy, and she didn't speak ebonics.

My father has been harassed before. I've been in the car when it took place. The police have been called on me a few times for "looking suspicious". One time the police were called because I rolled my eyes and sighed while leaving an office. While the officer understood I posed no threat, I thought of this. Being 18 at the time(and sometimes mistaken for being as young as 13 at that time), being 5'5", 130 lbs. I was smaller than the persons in the office. I don't present myself as ghetto. And yet, me appearing upset was enough to facilitate a call to the police. My brother and me also got alot more bullying from White kids than my sister did. I got it from both Black and White kids. I "acted White" according to some kids. I even got such comments from White kids. I also got my share of racial harassment. Being male and female can mean alot of different things.
And this was in Atlanta?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
And this was in Atlanta?
Exurbs of Atlanta.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 PM

205 posts, read 106,613 times
Quote:
I'm in a situation where I live where I live because of COL. I live with my parents, in an exurb of Atlanta. Rents in Atlanta for the decent areas are rising. The cheap areas are kind of dicey. Some suburban areas, well, they are hit or miss. Some are hard to get to without a car. Others are dicey. And even some suburbs are gentrifying.

I've met Blacks from the West Coast. Outside of those who lived in Compton, most want to go back to the West Coast. I know Blacks from Seattle have told me how much they miss it. They let it be know that COL was a major reason for moving to Atlanta. I miss living out in the Seattle area. I know that even with me working in making a decent income, the city, and even some suburbs are getting more expensive. And this is in relatively cheap metro Atlanta. West Coast cities are out of the question.
Yes, my high school friend who moved out to Seattle is dealing with the rising prices now. She loves her neighborhood but it is becoming crime ridden. I can imagine how much you miss the West Coast. It is always hard for me to come back over here. I'm hoping my entrepreneurial efforts pay off so that I can eventually move and the higher prices won't be an issue. Lol you have to be either pretty well off or on Section 8 to live nicely these days. Middle class really doesn't cut it anymore.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Same here. I am of a medium complexion but my demeanor is considered as "acting White" to Blacks and "articulate" to other races, whatever that is, lol. I like all types of music, love vegan restaurants, hiking, etc. I love that the West Coast caters to that type of lifestyle. For now, I just take trips ever so often and discover new places.

It's really sad how certain people of color, especially males, are profiled for the way they look. Profiling is an issue that males face much more an females which is why I empathize when men of color are harassed. Even Henry Louis Gates, Jr. wasn't exempt and he is the EPITOME of educated and well spoken.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, my high school friend who moved out to Seattle is dealing with the rising prices now. She loves her neighborhood but it is becoming crime ridden. I can imagine how much you miss the West Coast. It is always hard for me to come back over here. I'm hoping my entrepreneurial efforts pay off so that I can eventually move and the higher prices won't be an issue. Lol you have to be either pretty well off or on Section 8 to live nicely these days. Middle class really doesn't cut it anymore.
The thing is, I was only out there as a little kid. However, I still have memories of the Seattle area. I still want to go back, to live. I'm working, trying to save some money. Eventually, I might need to go the route of entrepreneurship. The cost of living was getting higher back in the 90s.

The bar for middle class is going up. As the cities, and even some inner ring suburbs become more desired, being middle class won't be enough. And it isn't just a West Coast thing. Yes, it is markedly worse in the Greater LA area. In the Atlanta area, there are places where if I lived there, it would be easier to get to work, without the need of a car. However, they are either expensive or they are full of crime.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGravy View Post
There's plenty of blacks in SC. Long Beach, Compton, South Los Angeles, Ladera Heights, The inland Empire, Inglewood, the list goes on.
Thank you! I will probably visit my relatives in Long Beach the next time I go out there. I haven't really explored that area much; only passed through to get to the Catalina docks. I'm sure they are building up infrastructure there as well as the population increases. Have you heard of Harbor City? Is that a nice area?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Same here. I am of a medium complexion but my demeanor is considered as "acting White" to Blacks and "articulate" to other races, whatever that is, lol. I like all types of music, love vegan restaurants, hiking, etc. I love that the West Coast caters to that type of lifestyle. For now, I just take trips ever so often and discover new places.

It's really sad how certain people of color, especially males, are profiled for the way they look. Profiling is an issue that males face much more an females which is why I empathize when men of color are harassed. Even Henry Louis Gates, Jr. wasn't exempt and he is the EPITOME of educated and well spoken.
Tell me about it. 've received my share of being deemed "lame" or "weird" from Black students. I've gotten alot of "you talk White" comments from other Whites. Kind of ironic. I remember in college, a few White students kept begging me to "do the Carlton dance". I adamantly refused because I could tell I was being made out to be a joke. Being a preppy/nerdy Black male(who happened to be of small stature), I understood I was being gawked at for that reason. I thought when I graduated high school, that mess was over.

Alot of my experiences left me want to move west. I have felt like I would be better of going out west/the west coast. I too have felt like the West Coast would be better for me.

Growing up, I felt like it never mattered. I figured, since we're Black, we'll all catch crap. While we do catch it, we catch it in different ways. Generally, society is more afraid of men than women. Being a person of color makes an even bigger difference. Dr. Gates is not only the empitome of educated and well spoken, he's in his 60s, walks with a cane, and he's 5'5". That says alot.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 PM

968 posts, read 1,019,709 times
Quote:
Thank you! I will probably visit my relatives in Long Beach the next time I go out there. I haven't really explored that area much; only passed through to get to the Catalina docks. I'm sure they are building up infrastructure there as well as the population increases. Have you heard of Harbor City? Is that a nice area?
In a word, no.

There are worse places, but there are far nicer ones in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or