U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 PM

31 posts, read 17,863 times

Advertisements

I see Compton mentioned. Alot of people have a wrong impression of blacks from Compton. They think they would be super stereotypical "hood" or what have you. They are not. I've known quite a few black folks from Compton and they all speak very proper, much less stereotypically "hood" than even alot of white folks down south.

Cali definitely has alot of AA culture. Just cause it doesn't have the high % like East coast or southern cities don't get it twisted. SCal, Bay Area, Sacramentoz all these places got lots of black folks that have lived there for a long time. There just as much Cali as white folks.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 PM

31 posts, read 17,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tell me about it. 've received my share of being deemed "lame" or "weird" from Black students. I've gotten alot of "you talk White" comments from other Whites. Kind of ironic. I remember in college, a few White students kept begging me to "do the Carlton dance". I adamantly refused because I could tell I was being made out to be a joke. Being a preppy/nerdy Black male(who happened to be of small stature), I understood I was being gawked at for that reason. I thought when I graduated high school, that mess was over.

Alot of my experiences left me want to move west. I have felt like I would be better of going out west/the west coast. I too have felt like the West Coast would be better for me.

Growing up, I felt like it never mattered. I figured, since we're Black, we'll all catch crap. While we do catch it, we catch it in different ways. Generally, society is more afraid of men than women. Being a person of color makes an even bigger difference. Dr. Gates is not only the empitome of educated and well spoken, he's in his 60s, walks with a cane, and he's 5'5". That says alot.
You would fit in better out west. Most black folks even if they live in the projects "talk white". I hate that racist term btw.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM

205 posts, read 106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGravy View Post
I see Compton mentioned. Alot of people have a wrong impression of blacks from Compton. They think they would be super stereotypical "hood" or what have you. They are not. I've known quite a few black folks from Compton and they all speak very proper, much less stereotypically "hood" than even alot of white folks down south.

Cali definitely has alot of AA culture. Just cause it doesn't have the high % like East coast or southern cities don't get it twisted. SCal, Bay Area, Sacramentoz all these places got lots of black folks that have lived there for a long time. There just as much Cali as white folks.

Yeah, from what I hear Cali was the place to be in the seventies and eighties for both Blacks and Whites. An entire branch of my family grew up out there including my paternal grandmother, some aunts and cousins but a lot of them have died off. I never got a chance to connect with them in person. My father decided to settle on the East Coast to work in the federal government instead of in LA with his sisters and brothers. I wish he and my mother had settled in Cali instead. I probably could have gotten a house dirt cheap in a nice area years ago out there if I had immediate roots there.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing is, I was only out there as a little kid. However, I still have memories of the Seattle area. I still want to go back, to live. I'm working, trying to save some money. Eventually, I might need to go the route of entrepreneurship. The cost of living was getting higher back in the 90s.

The bar for middle class is going up. As the cities, and even some inner ring suburbs become more desired, being middle class won't be enough. And it isn't just a West Coast thing. Yes, it is markedly worse in the Greater LA area. In the Atlanta area, there are places where if I lived there, it would be easier to get to work, without the need of a car. However, they are either expensive or they are full of crime.
Yes, this is why I am probably going to go ahead and do another Bachelors in Computer Science. IT, engineering and healthcare are the best paying fields nowadays. I love music and art but it doesn't pay my bills, lol. You would probably do well in Urban Planning on the West Coast. I'm not sure what the demand is out there but I'm sure it is much needed with transplants constantly moving to inner cities all over now.

Entrepreneurship is definitely the best route to take. You'll never make enough working for someone else. Employees are usually always undervalued and underpaid. I was at a position where a woman worked in the same department I was in for over twenty years and they cut her position along with a few hundred people overnight just like that. She was getting ready to retire so it was pretty messed up. My department manager even confided that they didn't want anyone over forty working in our newly merged IT department. One woman in her twenties was super cutthroat and sabotaged a few people to move up the ranks and get heir position. That struck a chord in me and made me realize that I have to hustle and create my own opportunities because these companies don't care anything about you. Ageism amongst many other "isms" is rampant everywhere. Try to learn about bidding on contracts for either local or federal government in your field. You can't lose with that. There are entrepreneurship courses on the SBA website as well as places like Udemy and Coursera.

The crime in Atlanta will, most likely, transfer from the city into the outer suburbs as it is doing here in MD. If I felt comfortable and could deal with the wilderness, I'd move to some remote town in Montana or something. It is really frustrating to pretty much never deal with crime in your neighborhood then go to dealing with it on a regular basis.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
In a word, no.

There are worse places, but there are far nicer ones in SoCal.
If I could work remotely or away from the downtown area, I wouldn't necessarily mind living further out. I'm used to an hour long commute nowadays. I think DC is pretty comparable to LA now with regards to the traffic. I think we might even be worse than you guys now with the population boom.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,982,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Could you name some specific areas that I could research pls?
Palmdale and Lancaster.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Palmdale and Lancaster.
Thank you!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 PM

272 posts, read 178,772 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I've heard that Oakland is rapidly gentrifying as well. The proximity to SF is also raising the rents/home prices there also. The issues that you mentioned are the things that I have also heard over the years which is why I have hesitated to make the move (I've been considering it for over a decade now). I visit as much as I can to get my "California Fix" and I'm always sad to leave. However, I have stability here in MD now and I wouldn't want to trade that. If I was a multi millionaire, I'd make the move in a heartbeat! I have some distant family in Long Beach that are still hanging in there but I think they are older and probably don't want to move. It's definitely different when you are relatively young and still working on making a life for yourself.

It is sad that we as a group are being forced back into the South. Having been exposed to NYC culture for so long, I don't think I could adjust. I'm having a hard time even in MD because the attitudes of people are really different here. The cost of living is lower of course but there are trade offs for affordability as well (such as not as many activities/amenities as in the NE and West). I didn't get a chance to check out Baldwin Hills when I visited Cali in December but I'm sure demographics may have changed there a bit too. It is happening everywhere. I am shocked to hear how much NYC has changed in the six years I've been gone. It's crazy. It is also always strange for me to see white fast food workers when I go through the midwest. On the east coast, usually minimum wage positions are held by Latinos and Blacks. How was it getting adjusted to living in Kentucky? I'm sure that was a HUGE culture shock!
Personally, I like the South (I'd prefer Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte to KY). It's much better than my experiences anywhere above the Mason-Dixon (although Indiana and Michigan have been good to me). Also, no one is being forced back South. The fact is we did not educate ourselves to understand that if we wanted to live somewhere, we would have to work in an Industry conducive to the place and lifestyle that we wanted to live. A black baby boomer and possibly an black Gen X'er probably has a legitimate gripe because of the climate they grew up in, but I'm a millennial (early 80s, so web 1.0 millennial) born in Los Angeles and frankly while it was AWFUL, I had options and just didn't make the right decisions. I lived about 20-30 minutes outside of Nashville for a year before moving to KY and honestly, I don't consider KY to be southern (neither do the folks I know in TN, lol). I have been here for about a year and the only friends I've made so far are people at the gay bars and I'm not even gay, lol. When I first got here, I met a lot of people from Boston and NYC and they were the worst. They were racist, rude, and were full of themselves on top of being boring. They remind me a lot of the people I met in San Francisco and Berkeley. In Tennessee, I made friends instantly and still keep in touch with them (one is from Maryland, but moved to Minnesota).

Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGravy View Post

I see home prices in Compton are still relatively inexpensive. How is the area nowadays? Is it being gentrified or still primarily AA? How is safety?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,966 times
Quote:
I see home prices in Compton are still relatively inexpensive. How is the area nowadays? Is it being gentrified or still primarily AA? How is safety?
wouldn't recommend it. Even if it has gotten somewhat better. Better off looking for a condo somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or