U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,105,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I see home prices in Compton are still relatively inexpensive. How is the area nowadays? Is it being gentrified or still primarily AA? How is safety?
Compton hasn't been primarily African American for a very long time. There are twice as many Mexican and Central Americans however they are not citizens so the political leadership remains Black. There may be more Samoans who can't afford the neighboring areas than Blacks today.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM

205 posts, read 106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Personally, I like the South (I'd prefer Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte to KY). It's much better than my experiences anywhere above the Mason-Dixon (although Indiana and Michigan have been good to me). Also, no one is being forced back South. The fact is we did not educate ourselves to understand that if we wanted to live somewhere, we would have to work in an Industry conducive to the place and lifestyle that we wanted to live. A black baby boomer and possibly an black Gen X'er probably has a legitimate gripe because of the climate they grew up in, but I'm a millennial (early 80s, so web 1.0 millennial) born in Los Angeles and frankly while it was AWFUL, I had options and just didn't make the right decisions. I lived about 20-30 minutes outside of Nashville for a year before moving to KY and honestly, I don't consider KY to be southern (neither do the folks I know in TN, lol). I have been here for about a year and the only friends I've made so far are people at the gay bars and I'm not even gay, lol. When I first got here, I met a lot of people from Boston and NYC and they were the worst. They were racist, rude, and were full of themselves on top of being boring. They remind me a lot of the people I met in San Francisco and Berkeley. In Tennessee, I made friends instantly and still keep in touch with them (one is from Maryland, but moved to Minnesota).
Lol, you probably met hipsters/blipsters priced out of other cities. They are all over.

I agree that a lot of the issues AAs face is due to lack of education. I attended a science and tech program in high school so I was pretty prepared for college level courses when I first started as a freshman but a lot of AA kids barely slide by in hs. This was the case for some of my Gen Ed friends and classmates. I blame the parents. Luckily, my mother was an English teacher so she got me into reading and other cultural/educational activities when I was very young. College was an automatic for me after graduating hs. I didn't know of any other option. I broke into the IT field by teaching myself the basics of computers. The desire to succeed definitely has to be intrinsic but it is also instilled in you by your home environment during your early years. I know that many AAs don't have that parental push they need. When I taught in the NYC and Philly public schools, all the AA/Latino kids thought about was trying to be a rapper or basketball player. The parents weren't really involved either. Sometimes people won't know what is out here if they aren't exposed to it when they are children. Very sad. In my experience, it is the complete opposite with African/Carribbean parents. My WA/Carribbean friends all had strict parents who expected their kids to do well academically and enter high paying careers. I also had two Korean roommates who were forced into a graduate pharmaceutical program by their parents. Not sure why many AAs don't follow this example to ensure their kids won't be poor when they become adults.

The baby boomers definitely got screwed over when the factory jobs were shipped overseas. But by then, many of them were close to retirement age anyways so it didn't hurt them too badly. I assume that this is why many of my older relatives ended up in CA in the first place back in the sixties.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Compton hasn't been primarily African American for a very long time. There are twice as many Mexican and Central Americans however they are not citizens so the political leadership remains Black. There may be more Samoans who can't afford the neighboring areas than Blacks today.
Interesting. Is it pretty safe there or are there issues? I'm wondering because the prices are pretty low. I'm surprised that area has not been gentrified yet due to the extremely cheap home prices.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,171,084 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound fully right to me Compton is 32% AA. I don't think there are more Samoan than Black people in Compton.

West Rancho Dominguez (formerly West Compton is 52.5% AA)

Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,105,085 times
Quote:
Interesting. Is it pretty safe there or are there issues? I'm wondering because the prices are pretty low. I'm surprised that area has not been gentrified yet due to the extremely cheap home prices.
There is a street Compton BLVD now in the South Bay there are a string of streets with the different city names "El Segundo, Hawthorne....". Compton BLVD was changed to as soon as you leave Compton city limits to Marine AVE in all the surrounding communities the fear of being associated in anyway with Compton is so high.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Tell me about it. 've received my share of being deemed "lame" or "weird" from Black students. I've gotten alot of "you talk White" comments from other Whites. Kind of ironic. I remember in college, a few White students kept begging me to "do the Carlton dance". I adamantly refused because I could tell I was being made out to be a joke. Being a preppy/nerdy Black male(who happened to be of small stature), I understood I was being gawked at for that reason. I thought when I graduated high school, that mess was over.

Alot of my experiences left me want to move west. I have felt like I would be better of going out west/the west coast. I too have felt like the West Coast would be better for me.

Growing up, I felt like it never mattered. I figured, since we're Black, we'll all catch crap. While we do catch it, we catch it in different ways. Generally, society is more afraid of men than women. Being a person of color makes an even bigger difference. Dr. Gates is not only the empitome of educated and well spoken, he's in his 60s, walks with a cane, and he's 5'5". That says alot.
So stupid. The "squares" are the ones who make it in the adult world. Look at Bill Gates and Zuckerberg, lol. Those stories remind me of my best friend's experience in hs. He is doing pretty well nowadays

The West Coast or NYC is definitely the place to be if you are an "alternative" or intellectual AA. A lot of people just don't seem to get these "types" in other cities (as if we need to perfectly fit into a predetermined category to make them comfortable). For some reason, I seem to get along really well with people from other countries. They don't seem to have the preconceived notions that many Americans do about how AAs should behave. DC is a great place for intellectuals as well but everything is based around the government. A good discussion on politics here and there can be fun but my life definitely doesn't center around politics.

Very true, I've only dealt with subtle racism (e.g. stares or questions with the fake smiles) but thank goodness, never anything as bad as being arrested for "breaking into" my home. No matter what, AA males will always have to deal with harassment on another level.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
There is a street Compton BLVD now in the South Bay there are a string of streets with the different city names "El Segundo, Hawthorne....". Compton BLVD was changed to as soon as you leave Compton city limits to Marine AVE in all the surrounding communities the fear of being associated in anyway with Compton is so high.
The "rebranding" is hilarious to me. The same thing happened in NYC. I'm sure the names of most of the old neighborhoods I knew have changed there as well by now. The funny thing is that people will pay the outrageous prices once a "new" neighborhood has been "established".

Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 AM

272 posts, read 178,289 times
Quote:
Lol, you probably met hipsters/blipsters priced out of other cities. They are all over.

I agree that a lot of the issues AAs face is due to lack of education. I attended a science and tech program in high school so I was pretty prepared for college level courses when I first started as a freshman but a lot of AA kids barely slide by in hs. This was the case for some of my Gen Ed friends and classmates. I blame the parents. Luckily, my mother was an English teacher so she got me into reading and other cultural/educational activities when I was very young. College was an automatic for me after graduating hs. I didn't know of any other option. I broke into the IT field by teaching myself the basics of computers. The desire to succeed definitely has to be intrinsic but it is also instilled in you by your home environment during your early years. I know that many AAs don't have that parental push they need. When I taught in the NYC and Philly public schools, all the AA/Latino kids thought about was trying to be a rapper or basketball player. The parents weren't really involved either. Sometimes people won't know what is out here if they aren't exposed to it when they are children. Very sad. In my experience, it is the complete opposite with African/Carribbean parents. My WA/Carribbean friends all had strict parents who expected their kids to do well academically and enter high paying careers. I also had two Korean roommates who were forced into a graduate pharmaceutical program by their parents. Not sure why many AAs don't follow this example to ensure their kids won't be poor when they become adults.

The baby boomers definitely got screwed over when the factory jobs were shipped overseas. But by then, many of them were close to retirement age anyways so it didn't hurt them too badly. I assume that this is why many of my older relatives ended up in CA in the first place back in the sixties.
Definitely not hipsters, I'm just not a fan of people from NYC or Boston. When I was in LA, everyone I met that moved from NYC would make such a big deal out of being from NYC, but it was like who cares. If you love being from NYC so much take your ass home. Then, there's the whole stereotyping they do to Mexicans that is so off base because they keep thinking we're Puerto Rican or some other group that has a major population in NYC. The folks I met here from Boston made some ridiculous west coast generalizations and I just about laughed my ass off. I'd say that I'm guilty about making generalizations about Boston, but frankly, I never gave them enough thought to come up with any.

Oh and FYI, one of my best friends spends a LOT of time in Compton (half white, half black). Compton is WAAAAAY more Mexican these days than it used to be and he's been to plenty of parties where guns have been pulled out with no hesitation (once over an iPhone). This was about a year ago. If I were you, I would stay away. Then again, I wouldn't step foot in Long Beach either, but I've never been a fan of Long Beach.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Definitely not hipsters, I'm just not a fan of people from NYC or Boston. When I was in LA, everyone I met that moved from NYC would make such a big deal out of being from NYC, but it was like who cares. If you love being from NYC so much take your ass home. Then, there's the whole stereotyping they do to Mexicans that is so off base because they keep thinking we're Puerto Rican or some other group that has a major population in NYC. The folks I met here from Boston made some ridiculous west coast generalizations and I just about laughed my ass off. I'd say that I'm guilty about making generalizations about Boston, but frankly, I never gave them enough thought to come up with any.

Oh and FYI, one of my best friends spends a LOT of time in Compton (half white, half black). Compton is WAAAAAY more Mexican these days than it used to be and he's been to plenty of parties where guns have been pulled out with no hesitation (once over an iPhone). This was about a year ago. If I were you, I would stay away. Then again, I wouldn't step foot in Long Beach either, but I've never been a fan of Long Beach.
You'd be surprised. I don't know about Boston but NYC locals are very down to earth. It all depends on what area they are from, of course. My friends all grew up in Brooklyn and they were the coolest people you could ever meet. There is a lot of pride but the people I personally knew never shoved it in anyone's face (with the exception of maybe one person).

We don't have a huge Mexican population in the NE so that probably has a lot to do with it. NYC is filled with Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and some Central/South Americans. DC is mostly Central American so a lot of people are ignorant to the cultural differences. I had only one friend who was Mexican American when I went to school in Miami but she was from Wisconsin. Most people I met from Cali while I was there there were White.

Yeah, I figured that Compton still had some issues. A lot of the hipsters will still move in anyways and deal with any crime because it is inexpensive. That's what they did in my area in NYC. They are still raising the prices somewhat there anyways from what I have seen on Zillow but it is definitely more affordable than other areas. I had no problems in Long Beach but, then again, I only drove through it briefly. Do you know anything about Rialto? I think I may still have some relatives over there as well.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,979,131 times
"Cali" = no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or