U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 09:26 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,321,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I'm from San Pedro. I will only identify as from LA if no one knows my hometown, but most of us hate the city of Los Angeles. I used to say South Bay until it caused confusion in the Bay Area, lol.
But San Pedro is the city of LA.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,514,318 times
The east coast, the south and midwestern cities all have a lot more black americans than any city or area you will find out west. I think the city with the most blacks out west is Las Vegas and they only account for 14 percent of the population. My friend (he is white) is from the suburbs of New York and was shocked at how few black people there were, he still can't get over it.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
The east coast, the south and midwestern cities all have a lot more black americans than any city or area you will find out west. I think the city with the most blacks out west is Las Vegas and they only account for 14 percent of the population. My friend (he is white) is from the suburbs of New York and was shocked at how few black people there were, he still can't get over it.
LA has the most number blacks out of any western city in the U.S.

Las Vegas only has about 580,000 people living in city limits and about 2 million in the metro area. there are around 850,000 black people in LA County Alone. That doesn't count mixed race.

Last edited by jamills21; 05-04-2016 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 AM

23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Quote:
Did you even read my post? I was not writing about education as in college, what I was saying is that many of us (i.e. "we") that moved South after our parents and in many cases grandparents migrated to California is because we did not learn for ourselves what it would take to stay in California and make a good living. As an example, I am in the automotive industry in the manufacturing sector (sales). If I did my homework (which I didn't as a teenager or in college), I would have learned that due to the competitive nature of the industry, plants will always be located in low cost areas. Hence, the odds of me getting a job in this sector in CA that pays comparable to what I can bring home in the south and midwest in discretionary income adjusted for the cost of living are RIDICULOUSLY high. The flip side to that is if you're willing to live in these areas and have the skills in demand, you can definitely get ahead because many that live here don't have the skills. Those that have the skills don't want to move to this part of the country. So, when deciding on what to study (if people choose to study), they should consider where the jobs are in demand for what they want to do.

Also, in my company (and throughout the industry), we have a guy that has a high school diploma making well into 6 figures. I admit my business is NOT normal, but it proves that it can be done. Only the sales department makes this amount though and we do work insane hours most of the year. I do know an engineering manager with just a bachelor's that makes $200K working in production. He does have 20 plus years experience.
Did you read my post? People who are in professional careers typically have people who advised them on how to take the steps in order to make those careers happen.

Take teaching. In order to teach a bachelors ISN'T enough. You'll have to pass certain exams, go through the licensing process, and get a masters. There is no TEENAGER who did all this homework. Basically there were different people at different stages who told them what steps they needed to take in order to progress.

In my case I gave no thought to teaching as an undergraduate. Years after getting my bachelors, I was job hunting and someone told me the steps to take to get licensed as a ESL teacher in NY. I was also told after getting the initial credential, that I needed to have a certain number of graduate credits by a certain time to get my license renewed. So I enrolled in a master's program. Upon visiting LA last winter, someone suggested I speak to a local principal. I did, and he told me the steps I needed to take to start getting certified in California. I started those steps, and was able to complete them after my documents were approved by the county education office.

But these were many steps taken over YEARS. There is no high school student who can do this level of homework on a career. People interested in specific careers need to talk to people who are working in THOSE careers for advice on how to proceed.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Here's what it boils down to for me. Everyone within less the 2 minutes will tell me they're from NY immediately. I don't do this. I don't know anyone outside of NYC that does this. No offense, but your username even tells us, lol. I suggest you not do this if you move to Southern California and like the other poster said, don't use the word "Cali." You'll see a lot of hate on this board alone from natives (I don't care, I loved the LL Cool J song). Either way, that's my problem, but I know a few others back home that feel similarly. Proceed with caution is my advice.

As for the race thing, what really bothers me is that I'm a 4th generation Chicano. If you watch the movie Blood In, Blood Out or American Me, imagine that I'm the son of that I'm the generation after those guys that were already born here. Or I suppose my dad would have been the son of the people portrayed in the film Zoot Suit. My point is if you're expecting me to dance and play music like Ricky Ricardo, you're in for a shock, lol. I do love La Bamba and Lowrider though.

It would be great if CD locals can give input on this, but I highly doubt hipsters are going to move to Compton. There is absolutely 0 benefit to living in Compton for them. The commute to where that group is likely to work is too far and if you've ever been anywhere near that courthouse at night, good luck. Plus, you have the immigrants that will put 6 people to a house and save on rent to compete against. I think the hipsters will likely go to places like South Central, Watts (last I heard shootings in the middle of the day over there), Hollywood, and Long Beach. If the tech industry starts to move closer to Compton, then maybe a move there would be in the cards. My friends love Long Beach, but I can't stand that area or anywhere south of it. I was always a San Fernando Valley, Hollywood, Santa Monica, or West LA kind of guy.

And although I know of Rialto, I don't know much about it.
I never have any problems mentioning I'm from NYC to the people I'm among in Los Angeles.

Also anyone from ANY major city will be able to take care of themselves in ANY other major city WORLDWIDE.

And there are more than two big cities in the world.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It's very annoying to hear for some native Californians, including myself. Very typical of someone who wasn't born in California to refer to the state as "Cali (*shudder*)," especially those from the East coast. Some people think they sound cool when they use that term. It's just VERY annoying to hear and pretty much a dead giveaway for transplants.

Urban Dictionary: Cali
Of course this may be a bit irrational.

I can't imagine why you would care enough about anyone to care what they call the state you live in. It's such a non issue.

And there's no way you can ban the use of the word "Cali".

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 AM

205 posts, read 106,166 times
Quote:
Did you even read my post? I was not writing about education as in college, what I was saying is that many of us (i.e. "we") that moved South after our parents and in many cases grandparents migrated to California is because we did not learn for ourselves what it would take to stay in California and make a good living. As an example, I am in the automotive industry in the manufacturing sector (sales). If I did my homework (which I didn't as a teenager or in college), I would have learned that due to the competitive nature of the industry, plants will always be located in low cost areas. Hence, the odds of me getting a job in this sector in CA that pays comparable to what I can bring home in the south and midwest in discretionary income adjusted for the cost of living are RIDICULOUSLY high. The flip side to that is if you're willing to live in these areas and have the skills in demand, you can definitely get ahead because many that live here don't have the skills. Those that have the skills don't want to move to this part of the country. So, when deciding on what to study (if people choose to study), they should consider where the jobs are in demand for what they want to do.

Also, in my company (and throughout the industry), we have a guy that has a high school diploma making well into 6 figures. I admit my business is NOT normal, but it proves that it can be done. Only the sales department makes this amount though and we do work insane hours most of the year. I do know an engineering manager with just a bachelor's that makes $200K working in production. He does have 20 plus years experience.
Experience can definitely trump a degree in certain cases (especially depending on the age of a person). I know an older man in his early sixties with only a hs diploma and no industry certs making six figures in IT. I also know a younger woman in her twenties (also with only a hs degree) making in the high five figures as an engineer working in IT. It is not a child's fault if the parents are not aware or do not help the child make those important decisions concerning schooling and career. Many hs counsellors do not do an adequate job of exposing high school students to various career paths and colleges. I know my hs counsellors were horrible with that. Although I was expected to attend my mother's alma mater (an HBCU), I chose my own college at sixteen years old (a PWI), applied and was accepted with no assistance from adults. My parents filled out the FAFSA at my insistence and I chose my major on my own as well. Nowadays, students are fortunate that they can go to forums and blogs for advice rather than just rely on adults for assistance.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
[b]

An education is about a lot more than making decisions. Who is going to pay for it, for starters?

Rarely in the professional world is a bachelor degree enough. One needs professional licenses or other forms of certification, and that often requires taking additional courses if not getting a master's degree.

You'd need someone who has a professional career to advise on you the steps you need to take to be able to do all that.

Also what is this "we"? I'm black and I went to Ivy League schools both undergraduate and graduate (I get my masters in Dec). I got my California Teaching Credentials already.

If you want a professional job in a coastal city, my advice is to ask people in the career path you want to take about the steps you need to get into that career. And then you'll have to figure out how to pay for it (financial aid, job, money from parents, or if you're a veteran the GI bill has you covered, etc.)
I feel that the payment issue can be alleviated. If a person has to go to work right out of hs, they can also attend a junior college part-time. There is also aid if you qualify. Of course, it may not be a very prestigious, exclusive or private college but, nevertheless, it is some step towards an advanced degree. Oftentimes, a major company will pay for your education as well up to the masters level. I know many people who have gotten a free education through their company.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Nothing if you are talking about a Colombian city. Like San Franciscans don't like the term "Frisco" Angelenos in particular first identify as or from LA then the Southland or Southern California and rarely from California as a whole. "Cali" wasn't a term I heard until rappers from the east coast started using it, and then two rappers got shot to death.
Blame Tupac and Biggie for making the term popular.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,974,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course this may be a bit irrational.

I can't imagine why you would care enough about anyone to care what they call the state you live in. It's such a non issue.

And there's no way you can ban the use of the word "Cali".
Why do you care about my opinion?

The term annoys me, simple as that. I never said anything about some apparent quest I'm on to ban the word, or even alluded to that.

You want to talk about irrational? The irony...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or