U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
 
44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Reputation: 14386

Advertisements

For my own case, I am not that worried about thr relative low percentage of Blacks compared to the Atlanta area. I have lived in areas with Black populations as low as 1%. My concern would be with the gangs and racial tensions. From what I've heard, some of the gangs are on a spree for ethnic cleansing. Compton comes to mind. However, I have heard the gangs are in the IE as well.

I think like this. Show me respect and we'll be fine. I don't care what ethnicity your are.

 
Old 05-11-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,296,985 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
In the minds of white people, anything black is negative.
That was ok. But this time, lets see some REALLY broad strokes. Go!
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 PM
 
272 posts, read 177,842 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
So you're saying that you have no sympathy for your own mother and/or sisters? I'm not sure how you don't understand the extra obligations of females outside of work. Firstly, women deal with different health issues than men do. Secondly, if the woman is a mother, she works a second job FOR FREE which is taking care of children, cooking meals, doing housework, educating said children, taking care of aging parents, etc. the list goes on and on. You have to understand that the roles of a male and female are quite different. Males very rarely take on the responsibilities of a woman in the home and also do not suffer from the same issues that women have. Men usually work and that is it. A woman is lucky if her male partner takes on half of the household chores in addition to working a 9 to 5 job. Most modern women, despite their extra duties, still manage to have full time jobs and work just as hard as males at their job. Also, you have to factor in that the family duties outside of the workplace leave it impossible for most women to work extra hours. Your response sounds very misogynistic and lacking in empathy. Don't let modern feminism fool you. A woman can't have it all. And most women are not willing to give up a family life for a few extra dollars. Why should anyone work a 60-80 hour workweek anyway? There needs to be more balance between home life and work life for both men and women (especially if they have children so that the children are raised properly). I personally feel that mothers with children should be at home with their children until they are old enough to go off to school anyways. Children without proper parental guidance end up dysfunctional and are often a menace to society.
My mother is dead and I have no sisters. If an employer values an employee, they will give them time to deal with their health issues. That's the market place. People really need to understand this as they will see how they can best take advantage of this in regards to income. Being a mother is a CHOICE. Nobody forces women to have children (outside of rape victims that are pro-life of course). There are very popular slogans based around it, "A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE" or PRO-CHOICE. There is even female birth control. Supposing a woman doesn't believe in being pro-choice, they still have the option of giving up the baby for adoption or birth control. You also act like unmarried people don't have responsibilities. Guess what, most of us that have a career do. We plan accordingly. Extra obligations outside of the workplace are NOT the employer's problem. Making MONEY is the employer's problem. They don't care about you or me, they only care about MAKING MONEY. Everything else is just a side effect. You said most modern women work just as hard as males, but in my specific example you saw that the male was willing to work harder because the job requires LONGER hours than 9-5. That's not a knock on women, that's an observation. If the job requires working extra hours guess who's going to get the job? The person willing to work the extra hours, bottomline. Why is it the employer's responsibility to accommodate you? Have you ever dealt with a customer? They don't care about you. They only care about how you can benefit them. The women not willing to give up a family life have no business complaining about not making more money. Someone should work a 60-80 hour work week because THEY WANT TO GET PAID! Is that seriously a question? You can have as much balance between work and home as you want, just don't expect to be paid for more. Do you honestly think CEOs just sit and do nothing all day. There are CEOs of both genders that are on record saying they wake up every morning at 4:30 to check emails and start the day. How people don't understand this is beyond me.
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,283 posts, read 5,837,909 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
As far as I know, the areas that have retained the highest percentage of black residents are also fairly affluent.
Here are some affluent Black communities:

10 Affluent Black Neighborhoods - The Root
 
Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 PM
 
387 posts, read 253,269 times
Reputation: 841
LA is like Miami.....There are actually a decent amount of Blacks in certain areas, but they are so dwarfed by Hispanics that you don't realize it......LA also has alot of Asians.......Coming from DC/Chicago/NYC to Miami/LA is a bit of a culture shock....

DC, Philly, Atlanta, New Orleans etc are what I would call "Afrocentric" cities......New York and Chicago are in the middle......LA and Miami are for Hispanics
 
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
LA is like Miami.....There are actually a decent amount of Blacks in certain areas, but they are so dwarfed by Hispanics that you don't realize it......LA also has alot of Asians.......Coming from DC/Chicago/NYC to Miami/LA is a bit of a culture shock....

DC, Philly, Atlanta, New Orleans etc are what I would call "Afrocentric" cities......New York and Chicago are in the middle......LA and Miami are for Hispanics

I wish New Orleans were more AfroCentric...there's more stuff to do for a black person in L.A. than N.O. All the nicest things cater towards the minority. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's about who has the money.
 
Old 05-12-2016, 02:11 AM
 
23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
They shrank, but there are still places where the work is available. Every time I visit an automotive plant I see signs hiring and new workers being brought in for orientation (I visit plants weekly to monthly depending on the season). In fact, I know a major manufacturer that has problems retaining recent college grads. There is also plenty of welding work out there (not sure if you count that as manufacturing). There are jobs that are leaving the country (Mexico is booming right now), but that is an economic/political issue.

I would think someone that plans on becoming a teacher would know better than to rely solely on anecdotal evidence when confronted with data.
You supplied just anecdotal evidence yourself. Anecdotal evidence simply means cherry picked, btw. It isn't necessarily bad.

The industrial sector has been decimated in entire regions of the nation, particularly the Midwest and the Northeast.
 
Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 AM
 
23,254 posts, read 16,063,944 times
Reputation: 8534
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
My mother is dead and I have no sisters. If an employer values an employee, they will give them time to deal with their health issues. That's the market place. People really need to understand this as they will see how they can best take advantage of this in regards to income. Being a mother is a CHOICE. Nobody forces women to have children (outside of rape victims that are pro-life of course). There are very popular slogans based around it, "A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE" or PRO-CHOICE. There is even female birth control. Supposing a woman doesn't believe in being pro-choice, they still have the option of giving up the baby for adoption or birth control. You also act like unmarried people don't have responsibilities. Guess what, most of us that have a career do. We plan accordingly. Extra obligations outside of the workplace are NOT the employer's problem. Making MONEY is the employer's problem. They don't care about you or me, they only care about MAKING MONEY. Everything else is just a side effect. You said most modern women work just as hard as males, but in my specific example you saw that the male was willing to work harder because the job requires LONGER hours than 9-5. That's not a knock on women, that's an observation. If the job requires working extra hours guess who's going to get the job? The person willing to work the extra hours, bottomline. Why is it the employer's responsibility to accommodate you? Have you ever dealt with a customer? They don't care about you. They only care about how you can benefit them. The women not willing to give up a family life have no business complaining about not making more money. Someone should work a 60-80 hour work week because THEY WANT TO GET PAID! Is that seriously a question? You can have as much balance between work and home as you want, just don't expect to be paid for more. Do you honestly think CEOs just sit and do nothing all day. There are CEOs of both genders that are on record saying they wake up every morning at 4:30 to check emails and start the day. How people don't understand this is beyond me.
The people who work 60-80 hours a week are IDIOTS and FOOLS.

There are cases of people under 40 having HEART ATTACKS and STROKES because they worked too hard.

Slavishly following what some company tells you to do, at the risk of your health and possibly life is just stupid.

Nearly all people have some sort of interpersonal relationships, whether family, friends, lovers, children, or whatever. Allowing your job to totally destroy your life and/or chances at a family means the person is a spineless coward who couldn't stand up to his master/employer.

Lastly in the cases where men worked crazy hours at companies, the only way they were able to sustain it is if they had a wife (read unpaid MAID) who took care of everything for them at home, including cleaning, cooking, etc. Otherwise if you're working 80 hours or week or so, you don't even have time to do grocery shopping!

Anyone who works all the time should consider what they are getting out of "this work". It's not like they get to do anything for themselves but pay the bills.
 
Old 05-12-2016, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Elysium
5,815 posts, read 3,092,897 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The people who work 60-80 hours a week are IDIOTS and FOOLS.

There are cases of people under 40 having HEART ATTACKS and STROKES because they worked too hard.

Slavishly following what some company tells you to do, at the risk of your health and possibly life is just stupid.

Nearly all people have some sort of interpersonal relationships, whether family, friends, lovers, children, or whatever. Allowing your job to totally destroy your life and/or chances at a family means the person is a spineless coward who couldn't stand up to his master/employer.

Lastly in the cases where men worked crazy hours at companies, the only way they were able to sustain it is if they had a wife (read unpaid MAID) who took care of everything for them at home, including cleaning, cooking, etc. Otherwise if you're working 80 hours or week or so, you don't even have time to do grocery shopping!

Anyone who works all the time should consider what they are getting out of "this work". It's not like they get to do anything for themselves but pay the bills.
The political-economic argument being made is that the rate of men accepting that lifestyle with its attended strokes, heart attacks and lack of family life is high enough to skew the numbers so that the claim that one gender is paid less than the other is more a result of women being less likely to ignore kids to in an effort to earn more income to buy sexual and maid services
 
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 AM
 
44,590 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Reputation: 14386
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
Damn dude, that was a bit harsh.
Indeed. I think this was one of those comments made in anger.

Personally, as a Black person who has been to L.A., the percentage of Blacks isn't the biggest concern of mine. How I'm treated, and how I would survive in L.A. are the top priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top