U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 AM

205 posts, read 106,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
NO is majority AA. I'm really talking about the nightlife. I live in uptown, which most would consider the nicest part of the city of New Orleans. But the nightlife is catered towards the people who live there which is mostly white. I like uptown and the bars but it's just different. And Ive tried going to other spots as well so it's not like I'm just staying in the general area. I lived in ATL too and NO is just different. Part of the problem is that a lot of NO is very poor. So, the AA spots tend to be pretty hood and the "nice" clubs are way fewer than what you would think or they just aren't that great. I'm not just talking about festivles, which everybody goes too. Zulu is probably the Mardi Gras parade you went too which is awesome. But Mardi Gras is a heightened version of living in NO. Hell, even L.A. Has the BET experience where you'll see a ton of black people.
Yeah, it was the Zulu parade and we followed the Indians too. I had so much fun! It's sad that there is so much crime. My friend's family left temporarily after Katrina and then had their houses rebuilt. But they have to have a lot of security to keep their houses from getting broken into. If I can remember, they live somewhere off Elysian Fields Avenue or something like that. We went to a lot of people's houses to eat and hang out for the most part so I don't really know about the clubbing scene. But when I used to go down there back in the late 90s the nightlife was off the hook! A lot of places have probably changed since Katrina.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But the AA sections of the city are very segregated too and the poverty is just as high for a lot of people here too. I'm sure not all AAs are poor and not enjoying what MOLA has to offer either.
Solange lives down there and seems to love it.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Quote:
But the AA sections of the city are very segregated too and the poverty is just as high for a lot of people here too. I'm sure not all AAs are poor and not enjoying what MOLA has to offer either.

No, it is not. NO is way poorer than black communities in Los Angeles it's not even close. I am enjoying what NO had to offer. I love it here, but it's not a Mecca for AA in a way a person from ATL, DC, CHI, or NYC will see it. Most blacks work in the service industry and doesn't have nearly the amount of professional AA's that even a city with a lower % of AA's like LA has. It's the truth.

Again... I love NO but I'm not going to have a false opinion cause most people have only been to the French quarter.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I have missed those other posts in between all the posts where Nola just doesn't match up enough to LA. How could a small city like Nola match up fully? But at the same time Nola is a city with rich AA history and culture segregated or not. Maybe you're just too "grown and sexy" LOL? A bit bougie, no?
Different vibes. AA culture in N.O. is very different from A.A. culture in L.A. I can see what he means to a certain extent. It's hard to adjust when you are used to a certain culture in your community based off of what city you live in. I'm still BK and living in DC. I can't relate to AA DC culture too much, honestly. I miss my artsy soul house loving people and my Carribbean folks.

Last edited by NYtoDC; 05-12-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Yeah, it was the Zulu parade and we followed the Indians too. I had so much fun! It's sad that there is so much crime. My friend's family left temporarily after Katrina and then had their houses rebuilt. But they have to have a lot of security to keep their houses from getting broken into. If I can remember, they live somewhere off Elysian Fields Avenue or something like that. We went to a lot of people's houses to eat and hang out for the most part so I don't really know about the clubbing scene. But when I used to go down there back in the late 90s the nightlife was off the hook! A lot of places have probably changed since Katrina.
Yeah, talking to a lot of people down here, Katrina still has an effect. I went to a concert a couple days ago and asked a girl what fun is there on the east bank. She said "nothing anymore, especially after kartina. it's sad" she went to UNO and was from NO but was moving to Dallas cause the opportunities just aren't here. It's really sad.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, talking to a lot of people down here, Katrina still has an effect. I went to a concert a couple days ago and asked a girl what fun is there on the eastside. She said "nothing anymore, especially after kartina. it's sad" she went to UNO and was from NO but was moving to Dallad cause the opportunities just aren't here. It's really sad.
Yeah, I heard an older woman from N.O. speak at my college and she said that Bush had the levees blown up during the hurricane so that they could displace the current residents and gentrify N.O. I think a lot of people went to Houston and never came back so you still see the boarded up houses in a lot of areas (from what I remember last time I stayed at my BF's aunt's house). The thing is if they displace all the locals due to raising the prices, N.O. will become sterile and dry the way a lot of other cities are becoming. The culture is in the people. People go down there for the culture and the food.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,011,299 times
Quote:
No, it is not. NO is way poorer than black communities in Los Angeles it's not even close. I am enjoying what NO had to offer. I love it here, but it's not a Mecca for AA in a way a person from ATL, DC, CHI, or NYC will see it. Most blacks work in the service industry and doesn't have nearly the amount of professional AA's that even a city with a lower % of AA's like LA has. It's the truth.

Again... I love NO but I'm not going to have a false opinion cause most people have only been to the French quarter.
Well no way is it a Mecca like ATL or DC, but my point is going out on the town looking like Boris Kodjoe is not all there is to life for all AAs. There are certainly things to for AAs as far as entertainment otherwise there wouldn't such a rich history and culture of AA art, music, food and such there.I mean are you just talking about upwardly mobile young professionals with high salaries or what? i can see how there can be less to do if that's what you mean, cus I doubt the people there don't know about fun and entertainment cus they don't have ATLs scene.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
Yeah, I heard an older woman from N.O. speak at my college and she said that Bush had the levees blown up during the hurricane so that they could displace the current residents and gentrify N.O. I think a lot of people went to Houston and never came back so you still see the boarded up houses in a lot of areas (from what I remember last time I stayed at my BF's aunt's house). The thing is if they displace all the locals due to raising the prices, N.O. will become sterile and dry the way a lot of other cities are becoming. The culture is in the people. People go down there for the culture and the food.

The culture will always be in NO. It's why people move here, love it, and stay. You'd be surprised though that people are complaining about rent and housing cost here too. I would love for NO to have more of a corporate presence but its O&G, the port of NO, and the service industry.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
BTW, Farmer Browns in SF is WAAAAAAYYYYY better than Roscoes at this point (at least the one in Inglewood). The owner messed up! I think a lot of the original employees still work at the tiny one near Hollywood though. There is an old man who takes names for seating who has been there for years. Sad that the other decent employees may lose their jobs now

Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well no way is it a Mecca like ATL or DC, but my point is going out on the town looking like Boris Kodjoe is not all there is to life for all AAs. There are certainly things to for AAs as far as entertainment otherwise there wouldn't such a rich history and culture of AA art, music, food and such there.I mean are you just talking about upwardly mobile young professionals with high salaries or what? i can see how there can be less to do if that's what you mean, cus I doubt the people there don't know about fun and entertainment cus they don't have ATLs scene.
It really is hard to explain. Like, living here and going to Mardi Gras and walking down bourban is like coming to LA and only going to Hollywood and the westside. It's just not the reality of the situation. And yes, there are not that many professional AA communities in NO. In the suburbs there are. But I think that you would just have to live here to understand what I'm saying. If you love culture and AA culture than obviously yes NO is up there with any American city but there are other factors we have to consider. And yes, being AA myself, these are things I must consider about any city other than trying to act like Boris kojo (lol) nice guy btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or