U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmrboja View Post
That was in comparison to many other places in America, like the South etc..
OP should never go to the Pacific NW.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 AM

107 posts, read 85,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I doubt this is a real thread.

OP complains about a lack of blacks, but when it is suggested he go to South Central, said "NO THANKS" and than mentions how those on the east coast have an "image" of South Central, which they get from movies.

He also claims to have a printing business, yet he asks no questions about the cost to move a business to CA or LA County, no questions about taxes(cleary coming from Georgia it is going to be more costly). Also doesn't even ask about a demand for this type of business.

Also said people treated him better out here, but than worries about people being racist. Seriously? Someone coming from the South is going to worry about LA being more racist?

Doesn't add up.
For one, I get my business information from other sources. Second, I've never said I was treated better out here. I simply said the people I've encountered were very nice.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
OK, but how come you don't ask any questions on what it would cost to set up a business here? You only focus on race. I can understand that being an issue, but you make it your only issue.

CA has taxes that are higher than Georgia, you make no mention of that. Or what areas would be better for a business like yours.

I find that odd.

Your first concern should be how much will this cost me? CA taxes are more than Georgia, a business persone would focus on that first.

It's like someone asking about the dating scene in LA who wants to move but they have no job lined up, priorities, they should worry about a job first, not dating.
I wouldn't ask business related questions on this forum. I have other resources for that. My concerns were only social related. Anyway, I'm good. I'm adjusting to the way of life out here. It's all good and it's what you make of it, like anywhere else in the Great USA.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
Good to hear. I have a Graphics and Printing business and wondering if I will be able to grow my my business out here. I wouldn't want to lose possible business accounts because of my race.
Than why did you say this? This is business related. But you only make it about race, not one question about cost of starting a business in CA. Your main focus should be is "what is this going to cost me in CA?".

Quote:
For one, I get my business information from other sources. Second, I've never said I was treated better out here. I simply said the people I've encountered were very nice.
Yes, you did. You said you were treated better out here. That people were nicer than back east. How is that not being treated better? It's the same thing.

Quote:
I wouldn't ask business related questions on this forum. I have other resources for that. My concerns were only social related. Anyway, I'm good. I'm adjusting to the way of life out here. It's all good and it's what you make of it, like anywhere else in the Great USA.
Not buying it. And how are you adjusting to the way of life out here? You didn't move here. You're visiting, there is nothing to adjust to when you only visit.

You're full of contradictions. You say you don't see black people out here, you won't go to South Central, another poster pointed out that places like Lancaster and San Bernardino have large black populations and you questioned that as if they were making it up....you don't live here. People have pointed out places that have large black populations and you dismiss it.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Than why did you say this? This is business related. But you only make it about race, not one question about cost of starting a business in CA. Your main focus should be is "what is this going to cost me in CA?".

Yes, you did. You said you were treated better out here. That people were nicer than back east. How is that not being treated better? It's the same thing.

Not buying it. And how are you adjusting to the way of life out here? You didn't move here. You're visiting, there is nothing to adjust to when you only visit.

You're full of contradictions. You say you don't see black people out here, you won't go to South Central, another poster pointed out that places like Lancaster and San Bernardino have large black populations and you questioned that as if they were making it up....you don't live here. People have pointed out places that have large black populations and you dismiss it.
1st. Again, I never said I am treated better out here. You need to recheck that. 2nd. I didn't come out her to seek and be around black people. I get plenty of that in Atlanta. I just simply noticed the difference. 3rd. I'm slowly adjusting because I'm learning and have a lot more to learn. 3rd. I was wondering about the business itself growing as a black owner. Racism does exist and can be very subtle at times.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:54 AM

36 posts, read 21,503 times
Quote:
1st. Again, I never said I am treated better out here. You need to recheck that. 2nd. I didn't come out her to seek and be around black people. I get plenty of that in Atlanta. I just simply noticed the difference. 3rd. I'm slowly adjusting because I'm learning and have a lot more to learn. 3rd. I was wondering about the business itself growing as a black owner. Racism does exist and can be very subtle at times.

I think you went out with the expectation to see things like Atlanta, no city anywhere has a more dense population of blacks in the country. You will experience culture shock no matter where you go in the country in some way shape or form. Just like moving from a large city to a small one or the reverse.

LA and CA as a whole were not apart of the racial issues of the north vs the south of the past. Many immigrated west for the gold rush, so in today's world many move west to be away from the societal issues found in the rest of the country. If you are worried about race being an issue then as a black person you should always expect to find at least one closed minded person everywhere you go. But CA is extremely relaxed, race isn't much of an issue there as it is in other states. Whites are not the majority Hispanics are lol

Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 21,503 times
That also goes both ways people from CA would experience the culture shock of being in other states where race is an issue. Don't shoot down his view point because its not an issue in CA, you have to understand that race and race issues do exist in other parts of the country, some states a lot more than others.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,854 times
Quote:
So you have sources with local business experience, but those same sources don't know anything about the demographics of the city? I know the demographics(race, household size, annual income, education level, crime rate, etc) of every neighborhood within a 5 mile radius of my shop. It's part of why my shop is where it is and informs a lot of how I run it. And you found these local businesses sources, but couldn't be bothered to google LA's demographics?

Troll thread.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,633,393 times
Quote:
I agree racism does exist, and it can be in subtle ways.

You say you're exploring LA, where exactly do you go? Why won't you go to South Central? I'm white and worked in South Central for 5 years, never felt uncomfortable.

Your comments about South Central based on what you said people in the east percieve about the area(again based on TV and movies) is in fact internalized racism.

Your concerns should focus on 1) Cost of moving a business to CA 2) If I do this what area needs a business like mine(as in you don't want to relocate to an area saturated with similar businesses).

Again priorities, you make everything about race.

You know when you come to an area with a preconcived notion and negative energy, you can end up making that your reality.

LA(and not just because I live here), is one of the last places I would worry about racism in this country. I am not saying it doesn't exist. But when you live in a city that you can't go anywhere on a daily basis and not hear 2 or 3 different languages and see people from different cultures, well let's just say you're not looking to relocate to Biloxi, MS or Little Rock, Arkansas.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG21 View Post
Atlanta, no city anywhere has a more dense population of blacks in the country.
Not exactly.

Atlanta: 54% Black

Detroit, MI 84.3%
Jackson, MS 80.1%
Birmingham, AL 74.0%
Baltimore, MD 65.1%
Memphis, TN 64.1%
New Orleans, LA 61.2%
Flint, MI 59.5%
Montgomery, AL 57.4 %
Savannah, GA 56.7%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or