Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
So your business won't grow because the lack of black people?
He thinks/is worried that his business won't grow because he's black.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The state is getting increasingly expensive, and people are going where it's more affordable, where they can find jobs, and where they have family. The black population of California including Los Angeles specifically has been shrinking.

Black population in L.A. County declines as more return to South | Our Weekly | Black News and Entertainment Los Angeles

Capitol Alert: California's black population shrinking proportionately
This is happening all across the country including cities back east, including DC and Atlanta.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't think you will make it very far in LA if you are already expecting things like this.
No, he won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I love it over here. It's soooooo different from the east coast. The west coast is truly the best coast. So far, everyone I've encountered has been very nice.
You contradict yourself a lot, which makes me doubt this is even a real concern, or that you're even black.

If everyone has been nicer to you out here than in the east, than why are you so concerned about racism. When you just said how nice people have treated you?

You also said you hardly see any blacks, but than in another post you said you were afraid of South Central LA, because people on the east coast have an image of it.(seen "Colors" one too many times). I'm white and worked in South Central for 5 years, had no problems.

If you are real(which I doubt) because you only post about race and stirring the pot, I think you're better off in Atlanta.

To quote Gladys Knight "LA, proved too much for the man, so he's leaving on the midnight train to Georgia".

Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's disappointing that we don't really have a thriving, educated, black middle class in a concentrated area but regardless we're still here. Really LA is no place for black people but I doubt I'll ever leave.
What about the Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills concentration?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's disappointing that we don't really have a thriving, educated, black middle class in a concentrated area but regardless we're still here. Really LA is no place for black people but I doubt I'll ever leave.
Are you serious??? Windsor Hills, View Park, Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park. And they will remain majority African American for a long time.
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/...ities-america/

Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Are you serious??? Windsor Hills, View Park, Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park. And they will remain majority African American for a long time.
10 of the Richest Black Communities in America - Atlanta Black Star
Exactly.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:22 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
LA city limits had over 400,000 blacks in 2010. There are only 7 cities in the country that has more blacks than Los Angeles does. Not sure why you see a "lack of blacks" in LA because that is not the case at all.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 AM

123 posts, read 146,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

You contradict yourself a lot, which makes me doubt this is even a real concern, or that you're even black.

If everyone has been nicer to you out here than in the east, than why are you so concerned about racism. When you just said how nice people have treated you?

You also said you hardly see any blacks, but than in another post you said you were afraid of South Central LA, because people on the east coast have an image of it.(seen "Colors" one too many times). I'm white and worked in South Central for 5 years, had no problems.

If you are real(which I doubt) because you only post about race and stirring the pot, I think you're better off in Atlanta.

To quote Gladys Knight "LA, proved too much for the man, so he's leaving on the midnight train to Georgia".
I was having some concerns because I was experiencing a little culture shock and I'm visiting from Atlanta, which a highly Black populated city. My concerns are easing a bit with the help of some of your responses and input. I'm very new to the west coast and I'm learning a lot with these short visits, so please excuse my ignorance. And yes, I have been watching too many movies. LOL

Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
LA city limits had over 400,000 blacks in 2010. There are only 7 cities in the country that has more blacks than Los Angeles does. Not sure why you see a "lack of blacks" in LA because that is not the case at all.
I doubt this is a real thread.

OP complains about a lack of blacks, but when it is suggested he go to South Central, said "NO THANKS" and than mentions how those on the east coast have an "image" of South Central, which they get from movies.

He also claims to have a printing business, yet he asks no questions about the cost to move a business to CA or LA County, no questions about taxes(cleary coming from Georgia it is going to be more costly). Also doesn't even ask about a demand for this type of business.

Also said people treated him better out here, but than worries about people being racist. Seriously? Someone coming from the South is going to worry about LA being more racist?

Doesn't add up.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
I was having some concerns because I was experiencing a little culture shock and I'm visiting from Atlanta, which a highly Black populated city. My concerns are easing a bit with the help of some of your responses and input. I'm very new to the west coast and I'm learning a lot with these short visits, so please excuse my ignorance. And yes, I have been watching too many movies. LOL

OK, but how come you don't ask any questions on what it would cost to set up a business here? You only focus on race. I can understand that being an issue, but you make it your only issue.

CA has taxes that are higher than Georgia, you make no mention of that. Or what areas would be better for a business like yours.

I find that odd.

Your first concern should be how much will this cost me? CA taxes are more than Georgia, a business persone would focus on that first.

It's like someone asking about the dating scene in LA who wants to move but they have no job lined up, priorities, they should worry about a job first, not dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles