Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Indeed. I think this was one of those comments made in anger.

Personally, as a Black person who has been to L.A., the percentage of Blacks isn't the biggest concern of mine. How I'm treated, and how I would survive in L.A. are the top priorities.

If you lived in L.A. You wouldn't spend much time in Compton or the I.E. at all. Both are out of the way. Plus, either way, if your not in a gang then then it won't really matter anyway. People tend to blow things out of proportion. It's like me saying I'm worried about the amount of DL brothers in ATL if I were a woman. You would prob tell me it's not that big of a deal and I would agree.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM

205 posts, read 174,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The people who work 60-80 hours a week are IDIOTS and FOOLS.

There are cases of people under 40 having HEART ATTACKS and STROKES because they worked too hard.

Slavishly following what some company tells you to do, at the risk of your health and possibly life is just stupid.

Nearly all people have some sort of interpersonal relationships, whether family, friends, lovers, children, or whatever. Allowing your job to totally destroy your life and/or chances at a family means the person is a spineless coward who couldn't stand up to his master/employer.

Lastly in the cases where men worked crazy hours at companies, the only way they were able to sustain it is if they had a wife (read unpaid MAID) who took care of everything for them at home, including cleaning, cooking, etc. Otherwise if you're working 80 hours or week or so, you don't even have time to do grocery shopping!

Anyone who works all the time should consider what they are getting out of "this work". It's not like they get to do anything for themselves but pay the bills.
Thank you! What's the point of being alive if you only live to work? Relationships are what give us joy and purpose.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The political-economic argument being made is that the rate of men accepting that lifestyle with its attended strokes, heart attacks and lack of family life is high enough to skew the numbers so that the claim that one gender is paid less than the other is more a result of women being less likely to ignore kids to in an effort to earn more income to buy sexual and maid services
The extremism of the feminist movement is to blame for all of this. There are some positives that have come out of the movement, of course, but the majority of it has resulted in the decline of the nuclear family. The lack of familial bonds has created degenerate members of society that are both asocial and misanthropic. The move away from traditional mores has resulted in destructive outcomes for all of us.

With this said, I do believe that if a woman and man are working the same hours at the same position, they should be paid equally (e.g. a teaching position or an entry level office job with 9-5 hours).

Obviously, there are going to be some roles that the majority of women wouldn't take
(e.g. A life-threatening role such as a firefighter or on the front lines in the military). As it is a known fact that women lack the same strength as a man (specifically upper-body strength), roles such as these that rely on the physical (rather than the mental) should definitely have higher pay.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The people who work 60-80 hours a week are IDIOTS and FOOLS.

There are cases of people under 40 having HEART ATTACKS and STROKES because they worked too hard.

Slavishly following what some company tells you to do, at the risk of your health and possibly life is just stupid.

Nearly all people have some sort of interpersonal relationships, whether family, friends, lovers, children, or whatever. Allowing your job to totally destroy your life and/or chances at a family means the person is a spineless coward who couldn't stand up to his master/employer.

Lastly in the cases where men worked crazy hours at companies, the only way they were able to sustain it is if they had a wife (read unpaid MAID) who took care of everything for them at home, including cleaning, cooking, etc. Otherwise if you're working 80 hours or week or so, you don't even have time to do grocery shopping!

Anyone who works all the time should consider what they are getting out of "this work". It's not like they get to do anything for themselves but pay the bills.
Also, most people on their death bed regret spending too much time working and not enough time with their loved ones.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
My mother is dead and I have no sisters. If an employer values an employee, they will give them time to deal with their health issues. That's the market place. People really need to understand this as they will see how they can best take advantage of this in regards to income. Being a mother is a CHOICE. Nobody forces women to have children (outside of rape victims that are pro-life of course). There are very popular slogans based around it, "A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE" or PRO-CHOICE. There is even female birth control. Supposing a woman doesn't believe in being pro-choice, they still have the option of giving up the baby for adoption or birth control. You also act like unmarried people don't have responsibilities. Guess what, most of us that have a career do. We plan accordingly. Extra obligations outside of the workplace are NOT the employer's problem. Making MONEY is the employer's problem. They don't care about you or me, they only care about MAKING MONEY. Everything else is just a side effect. You said most modern women work just as hard as males, but in my specific example you saw that the male was willing to work harder because the job requires LONGER hours than 9-5. That's not a knock on women, that's an observation. If the job requires working extra hours guess who's going to get the job? The person willing to work the extra hours, bottomline. Why is it the employer's responsibility to accommodate you? Have you ever dealt with a customer? They don't care about you. They only care about how you can benefit them. The women not willing to give up a family life have no business complaining about not making more money. Someone should work a 60-80 hour work week because THEY WANT TO GET PAID! Is that seriously a question? You can have as much balance between work and home as you want, just don't expect to be paid for more. Do you honestly think CEOs just sit and do nothing all day. There are CEOs of both genders that are on record saying they wake up every morning at 4:30 to check emails and start the day. How people don't understand this is beyond me.
I believe the key is to work smart and not hard. Otherwise, we will end up like those factory workers in the movie Metropolis; just cogs in a machine working ourselves into an early grave. My friend (who is a software test engineer) has a great work-life balance. He makes six figures which is more than enough to get by. He only works 40 hours a week. In fact, pretty much everyone I know only works a 40 hour workweek and they are doing fine financially. Obviously, this will not work in every industry out there. Personally, I have chosen and will continue to choose to work in an industry that respects my need for a personal life as much as it does making a profit. I have no need to be filthy rich and I prefer to have my free time after work more than anything.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
LA is like Miami.....There are actually a decent amount of Blacks in certain areas, but they are so dwarfed by Hispanics that you don't realize it......LA also has alot of Asians.......Coming from DC/Chicago/NYC to Miami/LA is a bit of a culture shock....

DC, Philly, Atlanta, New Orleans etc are what I would call "Afrocentric" cities......New York and Chicago are in the middle......LA and Miami are for Hispanics
In nearby Fort Lauderdale there is a nice mix of Afro Carribbean in there as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Personally, as a Black person who has been to L.A., the percentage of Blacks isn't the biggest concern of mine. How I'm treated, and how I would survive in L.A. are the top priorities.
Exactly!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I wish New Orleans were more AfroCentric...there's more stuff to do for a black person in L.A. than N.O. All the nicest things cater towards the minority. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's about who has the money.
You think so? Every time I am in N.O., it seems to be very AA/Afro-Creole oriented. My BFF and her extended family are from there and she is AA. We've always stayed at their house and the neighborhood is still AA where they live. Even the Mardi Gras parades we went to were attended by mostly AAs. Also, I'm sure there are mostly AAs in attendance for the Essence Festival as well. I guess it depends what side of town you are on. I'm sure some of the population has changed in the last few years with gentrification.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
You think so? Every time I am in N.O., it seems to be very AA/Afro-Creole oriented. My BFF and her extended family are from there and she is AA. We've always stayed at their house and the neighborhood is still AA where they live. Even the Mardi Gras parades we went to were attended by mostly AAs. Also, I'm sure there are mostly AAs in attendance for the Essence Festival as well. I guess it depends what side of town you are on. I'm sure some of the population has changed in the last few years with gentrification.
NO is majority AA. I'm really talking about the nightlife. I live in uptown, which most would consider the nicest part of the city of New Orleans. But the nightlife is catered towards the people who live there which is mostly white. I like uptown and the bars but it's just different. And Ive tried going to other spots as well so it's not like I'm just staying in the general area. I lived in ATL too and NO is just different. Part of the problem is that a lot of NO is very poor. So, the AA spots tend to be pretty hood and the "nice" clubs are way fewer than what you would think or they just aren't that great. I'm not just talking about festivles, which everybody goes too. Zulu is probably the Mardi Gras parade you went too which is awesome. But Mardi Gras is a heightened version of living in NO. Hell, even L.A. Has the BET experience where you'll see a ton of black people.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 AM

123 posts, read 146,227 times
Quote:

That's most definitely my top priority. The lack of black people in LA was never my concern, just an observation. I'm in love with Southern California for the scenery, weather, and location, not for the percentage of different ethnic groups. Who gives a sh*t, as long as I'm treated with respect and given equal opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles