U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: On the water.
10,551 posts, read 6,458,187 times
Reputation: 8792

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
Lol thanks!


I guess I'm uninformed because I understand the comparison between Hugo Chavez and Bernie sanders. Lol

O I am also uniformed because I heard stats about 60% of sanders supporters not suporting tax increases....

I am just SOOOO uniformed Lololol
So, what is the basis for the comparison between Chavez and Sanders?

And what is the source of your hearsay about 60% of Sanders' supporters and tax support? More importantly, what were they referring to? Do you have any specifics for us? Or just AM talk radio sloganeering?

If you are informed, please share so we can lolololol with you. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,363,761 times
Reputation: 5262
The 60% number is thrown around by the anti-Bernie crowd to make Bernie supporters out to be idiots, but the truth is that 60% said they didn't want taxes raised on the middle, working and lower classes. And it's not out of selfishness, it's out of common sense. More than 90% of new income goes to the top 0.5% so increasing taxes on everyone else makes no sense. And Bernie doesn't just want to increase taxes to pay for his initiatives. He wants to roll back America's expensive, intrusive presence around the world, cut the wasteful spending from the military/Pentagon, end corporate welfare, end oil subsidies, etc. Any one of those things more than pays for the free college program. Doing them all, in concert with tax increases on the wealthiest Americans and closing tax loopholes for corporations pays for universal healthcare, free college tuition, a stable Social Security program, publicly funded elections, enormous investments in infrastructure and renewable energies, and overhauling our regulatory bodies to finally do something substantive about climate change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM
 
Location: On the water.
10,551 posts, read 6,458,187 times
Reputation: 8792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The 60% number is thrown around by the anti-Bernie crowd to make Bernie supporters out to be idiots, but the truth is that 60% said they didn't want taxes raised on the middle, working and lower classes. And it's not out of selfishness, it's out of common sense. More than 90% of new income goes to the top 0.5% so increasing taxes on everyone else makes no sense. And Bernie doesn't just want to increase taxes to pay for his initiatives. He wants to roll back America's expensive, intrusive presence around the world, cut the wasteful spending from the military/Pentagon, end corporate welfare, end oil subsidies, etc. Any one of those things more than pays for the free college program. Doing them all, in concert with tax increases on the wealthiest Americans and closing tax loopholes for corporations pays for universal healthcare, free college tuition, a stable Social Security program, publicly funded elections, enormous investments in infrastructure and renewable energies, and overhauling our regulatory bodies to finally do something substantive about climate change.
Well, yes. I know all that. But now you've ruined my fun with erin elise. I wanted her to either admit she's clueless about the issue she brought up, or look it up, read the actual basis (as you've explained) and then figure out how to backstroke her way out of her initial misrepresentation.

Now we'll wait for her comparison to Chavez. Should be good entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Ladera Heights)
496 posts, read 409,406 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, what is the basis for the comparison between Chavez and Sanders?

And what is the source of your hearsay about 60% of Sanders' supporters and tax support? More importantly, what were they referring to? Do you have any specifics for us? Or just AM talk radio sloganeering?

If you are informed, please share so we can lolololol with you. Thanks in advance.
How can you be perplexed over a comparison between Chavez and Sanders....both endorsed major socialist policies. your seemingly confusion over such a comparison is actually troubling to me.

o and here is the stat i was referring to earlier.

Most Bernie Sanders supporters aren't willing to pay for his revolution - Vox

"About two in three Sanders supporters don't want to pay extra, or no more than $1,000, for free public college tuition

Sanders supporters are far and away the most likely to want free public college tuition. Still, 14 percent said they don't want to pay additional taxes for it — and another half said they would only pay up to $1,000 a year"

good luck with that "revolution" if they don't even want to pay for it lololol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,334 posts, read 13,811,097 times
Reputation: 11495
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
How can you be perplexed over a comparison between Chavez and Sanders....both endorsed major socialist policies. your seemingly confusion over such a comparison is actually troubling to me.

o and here is the stat i was referring to earlier.

Most Bernie Sanders supporters aren't willing to pay for his revolution - Vox

"About two in three Sanders supporters don't want to pay extra, or no more than $1,000, for free public college tuition

Sanders supporters are far and away the most likely to want free public college tuition. Still, 14 percent said they don't want to pay additional taxes for it and another half said they would only pay up to $1,000 a year"

good luck with that "revolution" if they don't even want to pay for it lololol
One problem when you make something free is that people often don't really appreciate it .
If you look at community colleges lots of people enroll in courses because they can get in free or for very little and then they drop out . Of course even if they do pay something it's a fraction of the true cost of the education since its subsidized by tax payers .

More people having a college degree that is easy or cheap to get also makes the value of the degree go down .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Location: On the water.
10,551 posts, read 6,458,187 times
Reputation: 8792
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
How can you be perplexed over a comparison between Chavez and Sanders....both endorsed major socialist policies. your seemingly confusion over such a comparison is actually troubling to me.

o and here is the stat i was referring to earlier.

Most Bernie Sanders supporters aren't willing to pay for his revolution - Vox

"About two in three Sanders supporters don't want to pay extra, or no more than $1,000, for free public college tuition

Sanders supporters are far and away the most likely to want free public college tuition. Still, 14 percent said they don't want to pay additional taxes for it and another half said they would only pay up to $1,000 a year"

good luck with that "revolution" if they don't even want to pay for it lololol
Nuh-uh, erin. Not so fast. What "major socialist policies" did Chavez and Sanders both endorse? You're dancing around the issue you raised, but with no music.

And now that you are on the tax issue, let's see what you know about it. Why would Sanders' supporters want to, or expect to, pay a tax increase for health care, tuition, or other programs when what he is proposing is to specifically fund those programs without tax increases on the middle class? What is it that you think this protest against raising middle class taxes shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 05:25 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,363,761 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
How can you be perplexed over a comparison between Chavez and Sanders....both endorsed major socialist policies. your seemingly confusion over such a comparison is actually troubling to me.
What policies did they both endorse? Or are you just saying "Durrr their both socialists so their da same"?

Quote:
o and here is the stat i was referring to earlier.
[url=http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/4/14/11421744/bernie-sanders-tax-revolution]Most Bernie Sanders supporters aren't willing to pay for his revolution - Vox[/url
"About two in three Sanders supporters don't want to pay extra, or no more than $1,000, for free public college tuition
Sanders supporters are far and away the most likely to want free public college tuition. Still, 14 percent said they don't want to pay additional taxes for it and another half said they would only pay up to $1,000 a year"
good luck with that "revolution" if they don't even want to pay for it lololol
You just ruined your own argument. Only 14% of Sanders supporters aren't willing to support tax increases on the lower economic brackets to pay for Sanders' policy initiatives. That means 86% are willing to see their taxes increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,363,761 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post
Did either of you refer to the source I provided or did you just glaze over that. Lol my guess is y'all did.
You very clearly just glossed over it, otherwise you would have noticed that it inadvertently undercuts it's own point and yours. It's hack "journalism" that proves what it's trying to obscure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Ladera Heights)
496 posts, read 409,406 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
What policies did they both endorse? Or are you just saying "Durrr their both socialists so their da same"?



You just ruined your own argument. Only 14% of Sanders supporters aren't willing to support tax increases on the lower economic brackets to pay for Sanders' policy initiatives. That means 86% are willing to see their taxes increased.
As far as Chavez and Bernie is concerned, how about massive spending on social programs as a similarity??? or did u need other examples? You are making this discussion more difficult than it has to be honestly. And the fact that you would discredit a former venuzalen citizen in her depiction of Bernie being simmilar to Chavez when she lived under the regime is highly disheartening to say the least. Other socialistic counties' dismal financial statues should be a warning to Americans in their quest to "feel the burn". Look at Paris this past week. They were out rioting in the streets because the government was going to cut back on their paid time off and other big government policies.

I also love how your totally parced out that statistic about the 14% as a demonstration of how Bernie supporters, as a whole, don't mind tax increases. The article clearly stats that a majority of Bernie lovers are not in favor of tax increases to fund the revolution.
i don't know why it is so hard to admit that? I guess admitting that nullifies the "revolution". Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Ladera Heights)
496 posts, read 409,406 times
Reputation: 378
I presume I could have made myself more clear in my initial post. However, the article states that 66% of Bernie supporters would not support the tax increase that is NECESSARY for universal health care. Those 66% said they were only willing to pay an additional $1,000 more in taxes, when the tax will be higher than that to pay for single payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top