U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 1,858 times

Advertisements

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and 2 kids (4 and 6). We have been there over a,year and it's not to bad. But to the point. My gf's mother fell on bad times and couldn't afford to keep her home anymore and until she saved up some money my gf brought the idea to me about her staying with us. I was reluctant to the idea but called the office to find out if it was OK and what we had to do to add her on the lease. They told me she would have to come fill out the app so they could do a back ground check. And for me to stop in the next day. I did once I was off work and was told that we should be OK because we were under capacity and I asked what it was and was told 5. I said ok and went on my way. Now being told ok her mom stayed sleeping in my daughters bed.
Shortly after they started a new parking permit thing and she went to go get one and the LL instantly was angry and told her how she wasn't supposed to be there. I called the LL after finding this out and left a message again about the situation but never received a call back which is usually the case. Then our neighbors who are our friends offered to add her on their lease. Only two of them live there. And when we called the office to run the idea by them they said come on down it was OK. When she and our friend went it was instantly shot down. Then she was offered her own apartment there. I then called the corporate at cordoba reality. And was transfered to our LL'S boss. I told him again everything about the situation and he explained to me. But I also told him about some of the maintenance things we needed fixed for over a year like the ceiling collapsing and about how his LL treats,people and so on. Sure enough after he said he would have a talk with her. And I come home to a 3 day notice on my door.
All this for wanting to help family and now we may be homeless. I've never been in this situation ever and have always paid my rent in full on time. I feel there is some repercussions towards me for saying things to her boss. But the biggest contradiction is I live with my gf and 2 kids what would happen if we decided to have a baby would they kick us out for over occupancy. It is crazy considering neighbors around have 8 or more peeps living in a 2 bedroom.
It just hurts the most when you feel you are going about it the right way and were never told no until later and now this. I really don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,039,840 times
1. Why would you tell your landlord that someone new is moving in?
2. You don't sound broke. Find a new apartment.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,781,859 times
It takes at least 3 weeks for a landlord to go through the court process to kick someone out. If you fight it in court it can be delayed a little longer. Until they get the court order, no sheriff can show up and kick you out.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
Find an attorney well versed in tenancy laws, just to see if you have any recourse other than moving. By the way, if you wait for sheriff to kick you out, you'll have an eviction on your record, which could make it very difficult to rent another apartment. How old is your girlfriend's mother, and how did she fall on tough times? Will she ever be able to work again? It seems that there is more going on here than only the apartment situation.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 AM

She couldn't afford her rent when her lease came up. But this who situation feels like retaliation towards us because when I called and talked to the Land lords boss and told him everything and about maintenance issues not being taken care of and about her attitude anytime you try and talk to her. I my selfirst am laid back and every time you try and talk to her she is just rude to you. But he told me he would talk to her about these things and not even a day later we get this. Her mom left after we were told no and went else where but we really didn't think it would come to this.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,397,261 times
Is the mother added to the lease or not?

Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 AM

We were told it was fine because we were not at the max occupancy with just my girl friend and 2 kids. But with her we would but we're told it would be fine. But when it wasn't when she went to get the parking pass she left our place. But now we've been served this. And honestly if they want to do this to us they need to go through their entire community because some 2 bedrooms by me have at least 8 people staying.
We tried going about everything the right way this apartment complex is just very hard to deal with

Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM

4,766 posts, read 6,927,789 times
One important factor that has not been mentioned is what is stated in the rental agreement.
Somewhere in that agreement, it should state how many are allowed to occupy the unit.

Next, word of mouth is absolutely useless.

Regardless of what the LL stated, it needs to be in writing, else it turns into a he said, she said situation.
Look at your rental agreement and see how many are allowed to live in the unit.
If it states five, not much the LL can do accept to disallow the mother for reasons other than what you have stated.

Examples of this would be less than good credit, no verifiable references given on her application.

If they are evicting you for over occupancy, and the unit isn't over occupied, you could possibly win in court, but why bother.

Obviously this LL no longer wants you as a tenant, and my guess would be because you complained about repairs that were needed, so even if you fought the eviction, you wouldn't be happy remaining in the unit.

Landlord are required to maintain their property so that it remains in livable condition.
Obviously this LL doesn't feel a falling ceiling makes the unit unlivable.

I hate LL'S like this, they give the rest of us a bad name.
My advice, find another placed to live.
You and this LL have come to the end of a worthwhile relationship, and a battle in court is not going to do anything to help the relationship.

Bob.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:47 AM

386 posts, read 354,122 times
just buy a house then you can pack them in like sardines, that seems to be the normal thing going on lately.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM

72,686 posts, read 64,172,365 times
I don't understand how it is that the LL's boss is ok-ing everything, but his employee is kicking you out. Who has the actual authority in this situation? Why have you been consistently told you can add a 5th person by the management office, but the LL (who is that--is it the building manager?) says something different? If the boss says it's ok, he should communicate that to his employee, and if the employee doesn't want to follow the rules, they should fire that LL/manager, and get one who will follow the rules.

This situation isn't making sense. Since you got that notice, have you told the LL's boss about it? If not, why not? Again, it's a matter of taking the question to the highest authority, and having them require that the rental contract regulations be applied. And why wouldn't your neighbors be allowed to add your mom to their lease? Would she be living with them, or would that be a mere subterfuge to allow her to live with you?

5 people in a 2-br. apt. seems like an awful lot, but if you have a lease agreement that says it's allowed, then it's allowed. No court would allow some belligerent building manager to contradict a contract.

Why did you wait until now to raise the issue of neglected repairs with the boss? Who lives with a collapsed ceiling? Why would your MIL want to move into a place like that? Nothing here makes sense. I hope you can clarify, for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or