Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times

Advertisements

Everything south/east of Lakewood Bl is plenty fine along with other pockets elsewhere like Bixby Knolls.

That's a huge area Phrogg. You really shouldn't be talking about things you really don't know much about, esp when it's clear you don't even know what the city boundaries are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 AM

270 posts, read 323,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Everything south/east of Lakewood Bl is plenty fine along with other pockets elsewhere like Bixby Knolls.

That's a huge area Phrogg. You really shouldn't be talking about things you really don't know much about, esp when it's clear you don't even know what the city boundaries are.
That's simply a more inclusive and generalized version of the same area I described on page one, so we seem essentially to agree (despite the startling revelation that I apparently "don't even know what (sic) the city boundaries are").

In my experience, however, LB is very much street-to-street, even block-to-block: in all but perhaps the best of the best areas, the character of the neighborhood can sometimes change noticeably in the space of only a block or two.

Chowhound and JohnG72, how would you rate LB as an intellectual destination?

Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,699,100 times
Save the Bluff Park neighborhood, I recommend you refine your housing search to anything east of Redondo *AND* south of 7th until you reach Ximeno, at which point you can look north of 7th.

Some of the neighborhoods in this part of the city include Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, Naples Island, The Peninsula, Alamitos Heights and Park Estates among many others. Many of these neighborhoods are nicer, safer and more upscale than much of north OC.

I live in Belmont Heights and absolutely *LOVE* it! The homes are gorgeous and of varying housing styles, and most are beautifully landscaped.

The people on the East side of the city tend to be friendlier and more pleasant than on the West side, IMO - more thuggish, hipster and rockabilly types on that side of town who don't really acknowledge you, tend to avoid eye contact, seem angry, etc.

However, Long Beach, overall, is a lovely place to live for many of the points already made by previous posters.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:42 AM

71 posts, read 112,906 times
Long Beach is predominately White, around 45-50 percent. Include the yearly influx of CSULB students and the number is higher. There are a few bad areas but the majority of it is nice. It's definitely not cookie cutter like Cypress. I had a friend that lived in Cypress and it was depressing just driving around the city. A lot of the streets have walls that the backyard backs up to. Just imagine driving and seeing nothing but walls.

Don't let the bad name Long Beach gets scare you. I went to schools in the WORST of areas and made it out fine. Polytechnic Highschool is right in the middle of the "hood" but it's a great school. It's diverse in culture and programs. They have two good magnet programs that have produced very successful alumni. I recently had my achilles tendon surgery done by a doctor that graduated from there. His father is also a doctor and he himself thought it was a good enough school for his son.

Just by reading what you are looking for and with your budget, you might be able to slip into areas below 10th street near Wilson High. Rose Park south had some homes in that range not to long ago. You can get closer to Downtown near Alamitos but that area isn't great for kids. Ideally you would want to be east of Cherry and below 4th street. There are some very eclectic streets in that generally area. It's LGBT friendly. You have a nice mix of cultures and personalities. A lot of good food and it has some of the most walkable areas in Long Beach. If you have ever been to Portland, think of Division st.

Personally, I like the lively streets. I like to see people walk around with dogs. I like seeing hipsters doing hipster things with their hipster glasses and facial hair. I like to see the occasional homeless person minding his own business collecting cans. I like to walk into coffee shops and sit in on a impromptu performance. It's an fun place to live if you like those things. If you want something more quiet with nice tree lined streets, look into El Dorado park, Bixby Knolls, Rose park south and areas around and in Carrol Park.

I lived here my whole life, I've traveled a lot, I have family in the East Coast and I can honestly say I wouldn't mind raising a family here. Can it be better? Of course but Long Beach has improved a lot over the years and it's continuing to impress me. As for crime, it mainly affects the inner city. You can live your whole life in Long Beach and not have to drive through those areas once... unless you want some really good food!

Also, if your kid has any interest in sports, the little leagues in this area have produced some really good players, mainly softball/baseball. Good luck with everything.

Last edited by LBNative; 05-12-2016 at 04:50 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNative View Post
Long Beach is predominately White, around 45-50 percent. Include the yearly influx of CSULB students and the number is higher. There are a few bad areas but the majority of it is nice. It's definitely not cookie cutter like Cypress. I had a friend that lived in Cypress and it was depressing just driving around the city. A lot of the streets have walls that the backyard backs up to. Just imagine driving and seeing nothing but walls.

Don't let the bad name Long Beach gets scare you. I went to schools in the WORST of areas and made it out fine. Polytechnic Highschool is right in the middle of the "hood" but it's a great school. It's diverse in culture and programs. They have two good magnet programs that have produced very successful alumni. I recently had my achilles tendon surgery done by a doctor that graduated from there. His father is also a doctor and he himself thought it was a good enough school for his son.

Just by reading what you are looking for and with your budget, you might be able to slip into areas below 10th street near Wilson High. Rose Park south had some homes in that range not to long ago. You can get closer to Downtown near Alamitos but that area isn't great for kids. Ideally you would want to be east of Cherry and below 4th street. There are some very eclectic streets in that generally area. It's LGBT friendly. You have a nice mix of cultures and personalities. A lot of good food and it has some of the most walkable areas in Long Beach. If you have ever been to Portland, think of Division st.

Personally, I like the lively streets. I like to see people walk around with dogs. I like seeing hipsters doing hipster things with their hipster glasses and facial hair. I like to see the occasional homeless person minding his own business collecting cans. I like to walk into coffee shops and sit in on a impromptu performance. It's an fun place to live if you like those things. If you want something more quiet with nice tree lined streets, look into El Dorado park, Bixby Knolls, Rose park south and areas around and in Carrol Park.

I lived here my whole life, I've traveled a lot, I have family in the East Coast and I can honestly say I wouldn't mind raising a family here. Can it be better? Of course but Long Beach has improved a lot over the years and it's continuing to impress me. As for crime, it mainly affects the inner city. You can live your whole life in Long Beach and not have to drive through those areas once... unless you want some really good food!

Also, if your kid has any interest in sports, the little leagues in this area have produced some really good players, mainly softball/baseball. Good luck with everything.
Wow! Great post! I have been to LB twice in the 90's and have been curious about it for years. Your perspective has been enlightening. Thank you.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:46 AM

270 posts, read 323,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNative View Post
Long Beach is predominately White, around 45-50 percent.
This is potentially a misleading statement. According to the 2010 census, Long Beach is 46.1% "white", but only 29.4% "non-Hispanic white".

There are a few neighborhoods that are very white, but as a whole the city is extremely racially diverse, and certainly does not seem predominantly white nowadays. It was so in the '70s and before, but the demographics have changed immensely since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles