Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,116,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You sound like a pleasant guy
I'm a delight.
Quote:
You started this with

"Your sarcasm is misplaced and contradictory. If you truly believe millennials would prefer single family homes (of which you offer no evidence, just an opinion), cities aren't where the majority of them are found.
You started this with a sarcastic post that offered no evidence to support your opinion and expected a favorable response?
Quote:
Also you stated cities aren't where the majority of single family homes are found and you were wrong
No, I was not. I should have said "urban environments" aren't where the majority of single family homes are found", but I had no idea I was dealing with Sheldon Cooper here.
Quote:
So insulting and wrong, not a good look .
Thanks, Mom. We can argue form until we're blue in the face, but on substance you don't have a leg to stand on and I just proved to you why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Santa Monica has single family homes within blocks of its downtown. Not many, and none to the south (until you get south of Pico), but it's false to say "not ONE single family home".
Fair. Hyperbole was probably not the best idea, given my audience.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
80 percent of the city of L.A. is zoned R1, so obviously there aren't going to be enough apartments. (Compare to 40 percent of S.F.)
Most of the city of L.A. isn't "urban", either, those few examples notwithstanding.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I'm a delight.You started this with a sarcastic post that offered no evidence to support your opinion and expected a favorable response?No, I was not. I should have said "urban environments" aren't where the majority of single family homes are found", but I had no idea I was dealing with Sheldon Cooper here.Thanks, Mom. We can argue form until we're blue in the face, but on substance you don't have a leg to stand on and I just proved to you why.
Why are you acting like you have a problem with sarcasm when you are acting sarcastic yourself . A little hypocritical no ?

Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Why are you acting like you have a problem with sarcasm when you are acting sarcastic yourself . A little hypocritical no ?
In the best traditions of playground psychology: "You started it." I would have been perfectly happy to engage in normal conversation (see other threads), but you're the one who set the tone here. So the concept you're looking for here isn't hypocrisy so much as pot calling the kettle black.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:19 PM

190 posts, read 213,790 times
Quote:
Wall Street Journal seems to be, in the graph I posted above.Bingo. And contrary to jm1982's conviction, dense, urban and walkable = apartments.
Why Millennials May Soon Leave Big Cities - Curbed

According to Professor Dowell Myers, the millennial trend towards moving downtown has not only peaked, but did so last year, meaning we’re at the beginning of a shift towards deconcentration, not density. In his paper "Peak Millennials: Three Reinforcing Cycles That Amplify the Rise and Fall of Urban Concentration by Millennials," he argues cities will see less and less young adult residents over time, and doesn’t believe the next generation will pick up the slack.

Myers admits recent evidence has't shown tremendous evidence for this shift, but he believes the chart below, which shows a revival of suburban migration, foreshadows a growing trend.

A professor at the Sol Price School of Public Policy at the University of Southern California, Myers uses a "bathtub model" to explain the current millennial housing situation. It's basically pent-up demand keeping everyone downtown. Cities are about to exit an extended period of accelerated inflow and clogged outflow, caused by the following factors: Millennials came to, and crowded in, cities to find work in a depressed, post-Recession economy; depressed housing construction and lack of savings meant the number of available single family homes had declined (and wasn’t as affordable), and the diversion of potential homeowners into the rental market has slowed household formation; and finally, a boom in births had led to growing competition for entry-level housing and jobs. After arriving downtown, the economy and housing situation kept young adults from moving away.

Now, the largest group of millennials, in terms of births per year, has passed age 25, meaning less competition for jobs and housing for young adults, and the beginnings of a demographic shift. A stronger economy and more job growth means more opportunities in more places. These both contribute to demand for new construction and an opening up of the housing market. Whereas young adults may have been blocked from moving up the housing chain, away from neighborhood that cater to young adult renters and eventually into their own place, more opportunity means more construction, and increased outflow from cities.

The buildup of millennials in cities, in other words, was a temporary pause from the normal cycle, according to Myers, and typical mobility patterns towards the suburbs will begin reasserting themselves.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR2015 View Post
Why Millennials May Soon Leave Big Cities - Curbed

According to Professor Dowell Myers, the millennial trend towards moving downtown has not only peaked, but did so last year, meaning we’re at the beginning of a shift towards deconcentration, not density. In his paper "Peak Millennials: Three Reinforcing Cycles That Amplify the Rise and Fall of Urban Concentration by Millennials," he argues cities will see less and less young adult residents over time, and doesn’t believe the next generation will pick up the slack.

Myers admits recent evidence has't shown tremendous evidence for this shift, but he believes the chart below, which shows a revival of suburban migration, foreshadows a growing trend.

A professor at the Sol Price School of Public Policy at the University of Southern California, Myers uses a "bathtub model" to explain the current millennial housing situation. It's basically pent-up demand keeping everyone downtown. Cities are about to exit an extended period of accelerated inflow and clogged outflow, caused by the following factors: Millennials came to, and crowded in, cities to find work in a depressed, post-Recession economy; depressed housing construction and lack of savings meant the number of available single family homes had declined (and wasn’t as affordable), and the diversion of potential homeowners into the rental market has slowed household formation; and finally, a boom in births had led to growing competition for entry-level housing and jobs. After arriving downtown, the economy and housing situation kept young adults from moving away.

Now, the largest group of millennials, in terms of births per year, has passed age 25, meaning less competition for jobs and housing for young adults, and the beginnings of a demographic shift. A stronger economy and more job growth means more opportunities in more places. These both contribute to demand for new construction and an opening up of the housing market. Whereas young adults may have been blocked from moving up the housing chain, away from neighborhood that cater to young adult renters and eventually into their own place, more opportunity means more construction, and increased outflow from cities.

The buildup of millennials in cities, in other words, was a temporary pause from the normal cycle, according to Myers, and typical mobility patterns towards the suburbs will begin reasserting themselves.
A well-presented argument. As millennials grow older and out of the social peak of their lives, it's inevitable that even the late bloomers among them will start families and priorities will shift from "urban" and "walkable" to "good schools", "nice parks" and "quiet neighborhood". It hasn't happened yet simply by virtue of not enough time having passed, but nobody (including myself) should be delusional in thinking it won't. What would really be interesting is what the next generation's preferences will look like.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,537,343 times
Quote:
A well-presented argument. As millennials grow older and out of the social peak of their lives, it's inevitable that even the late bloomers among them will start families and priorities will shift from "urban" and "walkable" to "good schools", "nice parks" and "quiet neighborhood". It hasn't happened yet simply by virtue of not enough time having passed, but nobody (including myself) should be delusional in thinking it won't. What would really be interesting is what the next generation's preferences will look like.
Also, some suburbs are adapting urban characteristics - although this is in many ways a return to how things were 70 years ago

Old 05-03-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Also, some suburbs are adapting urban characteristics - although this is in many ways a return to how things were 70 years ago
Right - that's kind of what I was getting at with some of my examples. L.A. is really in a unique position because it doesn't have a "center" as such, Downtown notwithstanding (because it only really became viable in the last decade), whereas there are a bunch of "urban-style" small settings which still satisfy our cohort's desire for a walkable city-like environment. Very similar to Metro Detroit, in fact, adjusting for local specificities. To wit, very few of those little "downtowns" have single-family dwellings right in the middle (on the outskirts, no matter how close they may be - sure), but there are plenty of lofts/apartments/condos right in them.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,629,371 times
There are some very broad generalizations about millennials in this thread and the linked articles. There are, what, 75 million of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles