U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,273 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early twenties and living in Norway. I'm making music and working in the concert / art scene in the city I live in.

My mother has a work related opportunity to move to San Diego or LA, and asked me to come along and help her out with finding a house or apartment.

For the last couple of years since I left school I've toured with a promising alt/punk band around my country and currently working on my own project that I'm very ambitious about. But there is simply no real scene here and NO real creative ambition. Everyone are living for the normal square shaped life, the music culture here is all recreational and "for show" in a posh way as everyone is making enough money to live the suburban dream anyways. It's also cold as **** year around and that keeps my genes poorly fed and unmotivated.

Bottomline: I'm restless as hell to go to a new place for perspective and meeting interesting people to make music with and friends and also maybe work a similar job that I do know.

I've got savings and I'll be living with mother In the beginning and she'll be earning about 80k usd (usually more, but the Norwegian kr went to hell because of the oil crisis)
My mother obviously want a quiet nice place (that's why she's also considering SD), and I want the urban part with a good art and sprawling music scene. What parts of LA would be ideal? And money wise where is it realistic to buy a house and manage to have a decent life?

Also feel free to slaughter my naive ambitions.

Edit: I know it's hard to make it in LA, but I've always found my way. And also I just want to live FOR doing music and maintain the good life. Not necessarily make a living OFF music. That would just be a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 09:56 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
where is your mom working?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
where is your mom working?

In the oil business. There's some projects and she can work in both SD and LA. Not sure exactly where, but I don't think she has to commute a lot. She will work from home a lot and then have some meetings maybe once a month. She's hired by a company in norway.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM

4,498 posts, read 2,765,220 times
No music scene in Norway? The best black metal bands are from there

As for the rest of your questions. Your mom will not be buying a house in LA if she's making $80k. You will be renting. It sounds like your mom prefers San Diego and I don't blame her. You are just along for the ride and having her support you so I would do what she wants. San Diego is great and they have music and art there too

Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
No music scene in Norway? The best black metal bands are from there

As for the rest of your questions. Your mom will not be buying a house in LA if she's making $80k. You will be renting. It sounds like your mom prefers San Diego and I don't blame her. You are just along for the ride and having her support you so I would do what she wants. San Diego is great and they have music and art there too

That's right my friend. We have some great acts making it internationally recent years as well. The only thing is it's not an exciting and sprawling scene here at all. I think LA seem to have so much to offer. And I would love to be a place where I could see different events, art and interesting people every day

My mother is interested in LA too, but the reason i'm doing research is to find out if it's a drag to live there. Or if parts like Los Feliz or Echo Park (that we've heard a lot of good things about) might be a perfect option. Also heard SD might be too suburban, conservative. And neither of us want to be bored. We still don't want a noisy downtown type of living either.

Just wanna find out what different parts has to offer

And yeah, I checked craigslist and it's pretty insane. She'll be selling her places here in advance tho, so I don't think it will be impossible. Depends.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:15 PM

I think most musicians are in Silver Lake and Echo Park. Buying a house there would probably be $700k minimum. Eagle Rock is another option but not much cheaper to buy. Los Feliz is nice but I think its more of an older 30s and 40s hipster crowd and not really any live music venues. You would probably have to rent in any of those area and hopefully your moms job has some relocation assistance because its hard to rent anything without being here first

Old 05-08-2016, 03:26 PM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
Hate to rain on your parade, but:

Is your mother coming on an H1-b work visa? Are you sure you can legally accompany her if you are over 21? I think you may be over the age limit.

Also, do you and she understand that a work visa is NOT an immigrant visa and cannot be used to stay permanently in the US? Or if she loses her job you will have to return home?

And that even if you can come, YOU could NOT legally work?

Better read up:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...sa-holder.html

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 05-08-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but:

Is your mother coming on an H1-b work visa? Are you sure you can legally accompany her if you are over 21? I think you may be over the age limit.

Also, do you and she understand that a work visa is NOT an immigrant visa and cannot be used to stay permanently in the US? Or if she loses her job you will have to return home?

And that even if you can come, YOU could NOT legally work?

Better read up:
H-4 Visas for Family of H-1B Visa Holder | Nolo.com
Details details.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:50 PM

807 posts, read 657,638 times
If you want to be around a lot of other musicians, the Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park are is the place to be right now. Of the three, I'd live in Los Feliz as I think it's the nicest and a little less congested than Silver Lake and Echo Park. I'm sure there is a music scene in SD, but LA has a lot more and it's more concentrated.

Obviously, where your Mom is able to get a job is probably the driving factor as to where you end up, but at $80k/year, forget about buying a home unless in a decent area unless you and/or your Mom have substantial savings. You'll have to rent.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 PM

29 posts, read 19,000 times
Tell your mom to negotiate a higher salary. It's a ripoff to move here for $80K, not an opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or