Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 PM

219 posts, read 316,640 times

Advertisements

HIspanics petite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Well they are shorter.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
I don't think it matters where you live...being "fat" or "chubby" does not feel good and is not healthy for the person who is in that kind of condition.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
To be fat in general is not fun. You feel more lethargic, having back and knee pains from all the weight you have to carry, and it's just hard to move around. Who cares if you're in LA or not.

People says it's ok to be fat. It's true that you shouldn't be made fun of just because you're fat. That being said, to accept being overweight is unacceptable as you'll have health problems and will be a burden on the medical system. Staying in shape is good for your health and overall personal well-being, it's not about trying to fit in with the crowd.

You want to see fat people in the greater LA area ... go out to the IE.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:33 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Agree completely with OP. Fitness seems relative to the type of people seen around us in the environment, and in LA, seeing those who are slender and fit is an everyday occurrence. Can't say that's a bad thing, necessarily.

And of course the weather eliminates a lot of the excuses for not getting out and exercising being used in so many other places in the country.
Thus my motivation to move to your lovely part of the world. That said, it is a beautiful, sunny, 79 degree day today in Birmingham, with low humidity (!!!!) and I have actually stood outside my office, spread my arms wide, and looked to the sky thankful for this day. If only there were a few more of them like it here in the Ham.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
True. Most of LA county is fat. Most people of all races are fat. In Hispanic American culture, you are often considered feminine if you are too skinny or even athletic/toned. Most Hispanics are overweight.

Asians can be petite or skinny but a hell of a lot of them are fat now in america.

Being inshape is considered strange or weird in most of LA. Outside of the Westside/Hollywood/Beach Cities/South OC.
try being thin or fit in Birmingham, AL. With the exception that women are EXPECTED TO LOOK THAT WAY, men are expected to have a gut, a beard, and be driving an oversized pickup.

Pass.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:29 PM

302 posts, read 453,014 times
Coming from Chicago, I agree. I could never get motivated out there to lose weight. Here, I actually started dieting and have lost 25 pounds. I want to lose 75 more and be in better shape than I was in high school.

Only other place I've felt like this is Miami. It's even better/worse down there.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
This is not a fatshaming thread nor a reflection of my life. I'm just saying California has so many good looking fit people that they basically treat you as you're invisable if you're not a well-rounded person yourself.

Growing up as a kid in the Valley, i was pretty chubby. I joined my Track and Field team in high school and burned all my fat in time for adulthood. I KNOW that if i would've grew up elsewhere in the US, i wouldn't have had the motivation to be fit. There's something about LA where you feel like you gotta impress everybody or at least look presentable when you go out in public. You can say my intentions we're pretty shallow but i'v witnessed people being treated differently by their weight, and even experiencing it myself in middle school.

In California, Chubby is equivalent to Obsessed in society. The culture here is not for everyone and it can shock some midwesterners for thinking we're snobby people when really it's just a different mindset.

Geez! To me fitness is a means of achieving mental and physical health. I work out because it's a good form of health maintenance. While I'm definitely no "Gym Rat," at age 56, I do my best to go to the gym 3 to 5 times per week depending on my workload. Also, I don't have greatly pronounced musculature. But what I do have is good blood pressure, low cholesterol and carry an average weight of 185 LBS at a 69" height.

I will never "look" as good as some of the guys at the gym whom are usually taking selfies of themselves and their muscles in the change room, (yes, I've seen this a few times). But again, my aim is solely to stay healthy. Admittedly, looking good has never been in my DNA. As we use to say back in the day, "You can't fix ugly, but you can definitely laugh at it."

Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
try being thin or fit in Birmingham, AL. With the exception that women are EXPECTED TO LOOK THAT WAY, men are expected to have a gut, a beard, and be driving an oversized pickup.

Pass.
That's a huge chunk of the country though.

Honestly if you don't live on the coast, this attitude of a guy being a guy but a girl has to be fit is in CA too. I remember a guy who moved to Santa Monica would tell me about his area called Rancho Cucamonga I think, I could be wrong, but one of those places and he told me it was all people gossiping, fat guys with pretty girls, people marrying their high school sweethearts, etc. I had another guy tell me similar small town type of stuff about Palmdale. I thought am I in the South, lol. But no, this is Amurica!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:08 PM

145 posts, read 160,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
America is fat no doubt, but I think there has been a study done on the fittest cities in America and LA ain't at the top.
I have seen those studies. LA's results were more of a result of how they drew the borders. If the borders were drawn to exclude east la, Los Angeles would've finished top five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles