Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:09 PM

21,631 posts, read 16,173,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Tulemutt school us ? That's a real knee slapper !
Ok. Class is in session. Tell us how the world used to be a better place back in the good ole' days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,750,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
My white parents were completely penniless upon arrival. Worse yet, they needed to pay back the airline costs for their respective flights. They toiled, saved, and then started a business to survive. So much for privilege.
Yes, obviously "privilege" doesn't apply to every single white person equally, and I'm not going to start a discussion involving race, but do you honestly think that if your parents had been anything other than white that they would have had the same opportunities for building success? History will tell you that the answer is no.

Quote:
You also completely missed the point of this exchange: humility, embarrassment and the temporary nature of the assistance.
I didn't miss anything, so my point about similar situations still stands.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My white parents were completely penniless upon arrival. Worse yet, they needed to pay back the airline costs for their respective flights. They toiled, saved, and then started a business to survive. So much for privilege.

You also completely missed the point of this exchange: humility, embarrassment and the temporary nature of the assistance.
Um, yeah, okay. Now back to the issue that started this exchange: how does your nice anecdotal tale demonstrate the world used to be a better place back then compared with today? What is unusual - today - about what your parents said to the lady in the check out line? Because you wouldn't be as gracious today as your parents were back then you think that no one today is so gracious? We are all meanies now like you? What?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,089,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um, yeah, okay. Now back to the issue that started this exchange: how does your nice anecdotal tale demonstrate the world used to be a better place back then compared with today? What is unusual - today - about what your parents said to the lady in the check out line? Because you wouldn't be as gracious today as your parents were back then you think that no one today is so gracious? We are all meanies now like you? What?
The recipients of this aid today seem to be far less humble, even demanding of the assistance. Moreover, these same recipients of aid are hardly embarrassed, and who among them intend on the aid not being permanent?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,581,897 times
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand I don't agree with the state ordering a business what type of payment to accept. Would this be different from requiring all businesses to accept Mastercard and Discover? On the other hand, is the city giving farmers market vendors some type of benefit they wouldn't normally have? In that case, I could some them having to acquiesce if they want to be a part of this.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The recipients of this aid today seem to be far less humble, even demanding of the assistance. Moreover, these same recipients of aid are hardly embarrassed, and who among them intend on the aid not being permanent?
Ok for your subjective opinion. Now how about some objective data and analysis that can demonstrate how life was better "back in the day." That's what you are being challenged to prove. That's what you said you would tell us readers.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,413,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
There are entire countries who are currently transitioning into going completely cashless. The businesses who currently will only take cash will have to purchase probably no more than 1-2 CC terminals, which will be paid for many times over by the uptick in business that they are almost garaunteed to experience with such a shift.

So, I understand the principle of "forcing" a business to do something, but I couldn't care less in a situation where it will, in fact, help said business in the long term. On a personal level, I absolutely hate it when someone rejects something, even something that would objectively benefit them, purely based on petty principles.
I'm an early adopter of tech, always have been, but if I owned a business I would resent the hell out of being told what I can and can't do in terms of what payments I have to accept.

There's nothing "petty" about not wanting to be told what to do by the government, within reason of course. I get that we have regulations and laws and all.

Some other poster mentioned something that it wouldn't be a burden for the vendors, so if that's the case I don't have an argument, my argument was just centered around vendors being forced to take on more additional costs to process those types of payments, if that's goes away then I don't have any issues with this subject.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Ok for your subjective opinion. Now how about some objective data and analysis that can demonstrate how life was better "back in the day." That's what you are being challenged to prove. That's what you said you would tell us readers.
Oh, that's easy. Ask NYWriterdude. He said one who expresses disapproval to aid recipients might be harmed or not come out alive. Imagine that.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's easy. Ask NYWriterdude. He said one who expresses disapproval to aid recipients might be harmed or not come out alive. Imagine that.
Actually, he wrote that describing some very specific places where it wouldn't play to go around jeering at welfare recipients. But how is that relevant to the issue of times being better in the old days than today? You're just dancing around here from one non-sequitur to another.

I asked a ways back for any demonstration that times were better in the past than now. You offered that you'd "play". So far we got bupkis.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, he wrote that describing some very specific places where it wouldn't play to go around jeering at welfare recipients. But how is that relevant to the issue of times being better in the old days than today? You're just dancing around here from one non-sequitur to another.

I asked a ways back for any demonstration that times were better in the past than now. You offered that you'd "play". So far we got bupkis.
I just demonstrated it to you, but you were unable to even grasp it. I don't care if NyWriterdude was writing about "very specific areas" as it makes no difference. There are many many of those "very specific areas". Do you think the sentiment NyWriterdude described existed in any community 50 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles