Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 PM

57 posts, read 149,989 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving from the East Coast and need to get my second car out there as well. Has anybody who has also done this type of move used a shipping service that they were pleased with?

The car would more than likely be leaving at a different time than my furniture so I doubt i can use the moving company.

Please list any option that you have had experience with. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 02:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
I've only done it once and it was when my job paid for relocation. I don't know which company they used. The car showed up in a couple of weeks with no problems. But I can tell you it's expensive if you are paying for it yourself

Old 05-23-2016, 03:08 PM

437 posts, read 811,293 times
Well back in 2010 when I moved to L.A from West Palm , FL .

I went through several shipping agencies about a month before I left .

Most of them quoted me as high as $1000 plus . I told them no and I'm only willing to ship if any of them willing to ship for $500.

I called up several shipping agencies and set the price budget to $500
I finally got a call like 2 days before I left for $560 I went with it and my car was shipped about 8 days after I arrived in L.A.

The good thing about shipping my car
I'm able to put all my clothes and items that I needed like books and household stuff.

My car was dusty I guess from the Texas and California desert dust .

There are several shipping agencies that are willing to put you in for last minute for a good price . Good luck !

Last edited by Inter441; 05-23-2016 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 07:42 PM

50 posts, read 38,748 times
Hello,

I shipped my SUV from Boston to LA. in 2010. Took about 7 or 8 days in June and cost around 1k. Arrived in same condition only a little dusty. Wasn't allowed to put much in the car, I think a comforter or 2. They tend to manage the weight.

I'm sorry I don't remember the transporting company but there are car transport websites where you can enter your details and will give you quotes from several companies. Some of the website will also list reviews. When you narrow down the companies look them up and make sure they are registered and have insurance/bonded etc. Look up reviews or complaints.

You will either go with a middle-man or directly with the transporting company so keep that in mind because the middle-man will charge a little more. Don't be afraid to try to negotiate either, you'd be surprised some are willing and able as long as it's reasonable- every little bit helps!

Also, to note, there are requirements for CA emissions/inspection to register it so hopefully it will not be a problem.
Check out:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

Happy hunting & safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles