Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,026 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm looking to make the east coast to west coast jump! I've been researching on a move to California for awhile now. I was trying to decide between somewhere in Charlotte, California (Santa Monica or Los Angeles), San Antonio and Dallas since I have friends in those areas. Charlotte, San Antonio & LA have all caught my eye and I've visited numerous times and enjoy each city!

My question for everyone is if you think its a good area for a 27 year old African American single male with no kids. I love to get outside my comfort zone to meet new people, try hobbies, love to eat, stay fit and get out and about. I've done soft research on activities, employment rates, taxes and such since I don't have a house now or family.

Job situation I'm pretty set where I'm at now. I currently work at Verizon Wireless full time sales and am ready for something new. I do some side work with a moving company since I am trying to save up to move in this upcoming 2017 spring. I will most likely transfer the position over there to make things run smoothly, then look for a upgraded position once all stable.

So the big questions would how's the social life for 25-30 young professionals looking for more ? Companies hiring? Is it more of a family or college type of town and any other comments I'd love to hear.. I like the city so far, but going down as a tourist and having fun isn't the same as living there at all lol.

So basically if you can throw out some general advice on dating scene, social life, activities, best communities to live in, traffic (I know its bad), weather, crime etc.

Thanks again in advance for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
Los Angeles has tons of things for all different types of people. As a 27 year old, you'll have a great time in LA, which has a very active, multicultural dating scene and lots of entertainment options as well as outdoor activities.

In terms of employment opportunities, I would think you could find a similar sales role but I can't comment specifically if you're looking at a similar telecom sales job.

One of the first things you'll have to consider is cost and how much you can afford as far as rent. That will narrow down which neighborhoods you can afford. If you have an idea of what your monthly rent maximum is, I can help suggest neighborhoods. LA can be a lot of fun, but if you're on the lower end of the income scale just trying to make ends meet in an expensive city, then you won't be able to enjoy what the city has to offer.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
It has been discussed here many times but worth noting that the black population is actually very small in LA as far as percentage of the overall population goes. The black community is much smaller then the other places you are considering. That may or may not matter to you and LA is generally inclusive to all people and as socal said it's multicultural so anybody can fit in if they try.

Cost of living is much more expensive then other places and probably more of a culture shock due to the multicultural nature of LA. If you've never been here, I would visit first to see if you like it. Also get on line and Craigslist, Paddmapper and other resources to get an idea of how much rent is in different areas because it will likely be sticker shock for you. I would say have at least $10k saved up before moving especially if you don't have a job but you should start looking at Verizon to see if there are transfer opportunities and also start applying for jobs to see if you can at least get one lined up before moving.

If you are in sales and you are good at selling you probably have a better chance of finding a job then most people who are planning on moving out here and working minimum wage retail jobs but the job market is still not great here compared to other places in the country

Old 05-24-2016, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 9,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Los Angeles has tons of things for all different types of people. As a 27 year old, you'll have a great time in LA, which has a very active, multicultural dating scene and lots of entertainment options as well as outdoor activities.

In terms of employment opportunities, I would think you could find a similar sales role but I can't comment specifically if you're looking at a similar telecom sales job.

One of the first things you'll have to consider is cost and how much you can afford as far as rent. That will narrow down which neighborhoods you can afford. If you have an idea of what your monthly rent maximum is, I can help suggest neighborhoods. LA can be a lot of fun, but if you're on the lower end of the income scale just trying to make ends meet in an expensive city, then you won't be able to enjoy what the city has to offer.
appreciate the advice!

and I am looking to move in with a friend that already lives in the area to help cut costs. I'll do some research and go from there.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM

7 posts, read 4,649 times
LA needs another transplant like I need another hole in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles