Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Huh? Thats a borough of a important major big city...

That other place you said doesn't even compare...
Like I said LA and OC are part of the same metro area. What does it matter they are different? BTW northern OC is not that different from LA County. More similar to LA than to south OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:21 PM

271 posts, read 214,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Like I said LA and OC are part of the same metro area. What does it matter they are different? BTW northern OC is not that different from LA County. More similar to LA than to south OC.
Well as far as the US census is concerned they're both part of the same metro area.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Did you just name all the cities that border LA in the basin that are majority white?
Those cities also all are completely surrounded by LA. I think Inglewood, Compton, and Hawthorne have as big of a case as being "LA" even though they aren't completely surrounded by the city (same weather, no geographical barriers between the cities, rail connections, etc.).

Old 06-18-2016, 07:55 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times
“Who calls the 5 country region “L.A”?

British people.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:09 AM

537 posts, read 445,933 times
Quote:
That can be disrespectful or even insulting to say a place like that with a major big city like L.A.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:12 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
I've noticed people will refer to all of California as Los Angeles. They won't directly call California Los Angeles, but they'll apply aspects of L.A. to the entire Golden State. For example, people will say things like they couldn't live in California because it doesn't snow there, or they don't want to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic all day.

-_____-

Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
That can be disrespectful or even insulting to say a place like that with a major big city like L.A.
Well I would say get rid of the OC hate. I love LA and grew up there.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-20-2016 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 07:13 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Referring to OC as LA can be fighting words.
The IE doesn't seem to hate L.A. as much mainly because so many people there are from LA and so many of those would still be in LA if they could be.
That said, Riverside County is really split between the L.A. metro and S.D. metro.

This is true. I am not from Orange County, but my wife and I know several people there and my brother works there for many years. My wife is not a Californian, so I had to explain to her that people in the O.C. don't like to be referred to as being from "L.A." regardless of their proximity to it. She replied, "Well if they watch L.A. channels, then they are in L.A.!" Orange County always seemed like its own little world compared to L.A., the I.E., and San Diego in terms of lifestyles, politics, demographics, and so on. Even as a SoCal native, I still feel a little out of my element in the O.C. unless we are either at an Angel game or a touristy spot (Disney, etc.).

To allude to what you stated, just about every person that I know personally know in the I.E. is originally from somewhere in Los Angeles County. Most of my classmates from high school that didn't move out-of-state ended up moving somewhere in the Inland Empire. As far as Riverside County goes, you pretty much start sliding into San Diego metro once you get around Temecula. Escondido used to be the end of the San Diego area before people started venturing over the hills to Temecula, Murrieta, etc. for cheaper housing. That area is still kinda-sorta the I.E. to me, but you start to get a little too far from most I.E. hotspots at that point. Anything closer to the 91 in Riverside County is definitely still the I.E. and still considered to be part of the L.A. area to a lot of people. Most of those folks who don't have jobs in the I.E. end up venturing back into L.A. for work anyway.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM

537 posts, read 445,933 times
Quote:
Its like you love o.c. or something....

Its like most in L.A. or L.A. proper couldn't care less for that county.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 214,097 times
Quote:
Its like you love o.c. or something....

Its like most in L.A. or L.A. proper couldn't care less for that county.
I know that reality can be difficult for you to understand, but the fact of the matter is that LA and OC are part of the same metropolitan area. The difference between a place like La Habra and La Mirada is practically nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles