Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times

Advertisements

Bachelors? Don't know if they have anything open, but you might try Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Think they have on-line listings of available positions. With all the robots and spacecraft they build, I'd expect they would employ a 'ton' of MEs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:05 PM

329 posts, read 627,869 times
Aren't you suppose to start work in Vernon?
Entry jobs are tough in most fields in socal. Like you whole bunch of new grads from out of state flock to CA for jobs, pushing housing prices higher while competing for limited number of job openings.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM

128 posts, read 148,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Aren't you suppose to start work in Vernon?
Entry jobs are tough in most fields in socal. Like you whole bunch of new grads from out of state flock to CA for jobs, pushing housing prices higher while competing for limited number of job openings.
I thought I was too, but they didnt call back after the second interview. I just wanted to plan a few steps ahead and find a decent area to live in around there assuming they did hire me.

Thats cool ive been told SoCal is tough to get hired in. No worries ill look eslwhere

Old 07-14-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Bachelors? Don't know if they have anything open, but you might try Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Think they have on-line listings of available positions. With all the robots and spacecraft they build, I'd expect they would employ a 'ton' of MEs.
I think they only allow candidates with a high GPA over there. Mine was really low which is why I am inclined towards getting a masters in ME (family can support for a few years) and see if that will help.
Competition is fierce nowadays!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Its almost impossible to get a real engineering job these days.
Try looking at sales jobs where they want an engineer for.

Yes, the whole STEM thing is a bunch of BS. Almost all entry level jobs go to H1_B holders these days and anything else you really got to know your stuff or they just hire some consulting group from India to do it.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Its almost impossible to get a real engineering job these days.
Try looking at sales jobs where they want an engineer for.

Yes, the whole STEM thing is a bunch of BS. Almost all entry level jobs go to H1_B holders these days and anything else you really got to know your stuff or they just hire some consulting group from India to do it.
thats just an extreme opinion but to each his own

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 AM

329 posts, read 627,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
thats just an extreme opinion but to each his own

He's got a point. Not to sound too negative, it's just the way it is. I have a degree in chemistry and currently work at management level. We have hired entry level chemists making $15/hr. She went to a nice private school in TX, and to expensive private university, only to make $15/hr. She was let go due to her performance. I have seen jobs that pay $13/hr for someone with science degree and it's ridiculous. I also know someone who is a BSME from UCSD and after almost a year landed a temp job making $20/hr, which I think it's too low. I can give so many examples of this. I was ME major back in college as well but switched to biochemistry to pursue pharmacy school, but school debt scared me away. Stay positive and keep looking, you'll end up with something.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
He's got a point. Not to sound too negative, it's just the way it is. I have a degree in chemistry and currently work at management level. We have hired entry level chemists making $15/hr. She went to a nice private school in TX, and to expensive private university, only to make $15/hr. She was let go due to her performance. I have seen jobs that pay $13/hr for someone with science degree and it's ridiculous. I also know someone who is a BSME from UCSD and after almost a year landed a temp job making $20/hr, which I think it's too low. I can give so many examples of this. I was ME major back in college as well but switched to biochemistry to pursue pharmacy school, but school debt scared me away. Stay positive and keep looking, you'll end up with something.
you're points are valid. I know Chem majors at best will only get lab tech jobs which are **** pay. I do agree this whole STEM field thing is either bull**** or finding jobs in general regardless of any field is just tough in 2016.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:23 PM

77 posts, read 82,064 times
I know your pain. I graduated in 09 right after the big crash. I was top 5% in my ME class, and I still couldn't find a job. I went back to school for a few years which delayed the "SoCal dream" for a few years. I developed a few skills for a very hot market (data science) and now I'm living comfortably in Santa Monica. Better late than never.

It's really tough right to find something right out of school. The reality is you're going up against candidates who have 1-2 years of experience or M.S. degrees, and maybe even some PhDs. The what you know (and even more importantly - can show) wins out. Those with 1-2 years or higher degree are going to have that.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext88 View Post
I know your pain. I graduated in 09 right after the big crash. I was top 5% in my ME class, and I still couldn't find a job. I went back to school for a few years which delayed the "SoCal dream" for a few years. I developed a few skills for a very hot market (data science) and now I'm living comfortably in Santa Monica. Better late than never.

It's really tough right to find something right out of school. The reality is you're going up against candidates who have 1-2 years of experience or M.S. degrees, and maybe even some PhDs. The what you know (and even more importantly - can show) wins out. Those with 1-2 years or higher degree are going to have that.
If i cant find anything within the next few months will it be bad if I get my MSME instead? I dont have any professional experience and I'm turning 27 in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles