U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 05:21 PM

6,869 posts, read 1,959,128 times

Advertisements

Lived in the A.V. for 29 years. 14 in Lancaster. 15 in Leona Valley. I left Lancaster and moved to Leona Valley because my neighborhood turned ghetto. When I moved to Lancaster it was a quiet and safe town. After a few years trouble from L.A. started moving in. I called the local sheriff and reported drug dealing going on near my corner. They told me they could do anything. I got tired of hearing gun shots at night so finally made the move.

In 2017 there were 15 homicides in Lancaster. A rate of 9.3 per 100k. That’s about double the U.S. rate. The crime index per CD was 338. Higher than 85% of U.S. cities. If you can swing it you might want to check out Leona Valley. About 10 miles west of Palmdale. People that have stopped by have told me it reminds them of Mayberry. It’s that safe.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 11,894,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Lived in the A.V. for 29 years. 14 in Lancaster. 15 in Leona Valley. I left Lancaster and moved to Leona Valley because my neighborhood turned ghetto. When I moved to Lancaster it was a quiet and safe town. After a few years trouble from L.A. started moving in. I called the local sheriff and reported drug dealing going on near my corner. They told me they could do anything. I got tired of hearing gun shots at night so finally made the move.

In 2017 there were 15 homicides in Lancaster. A rate of 9.3 per 100k. That’s about double the U.S. rate. The crime index per CD was 338. Higher than 85% of U.S. cities. If you can swing it you might want to check out Leona Valley. About 10 miles west of Palmdale. People that have stopped by have told me it reminds them of Mayberry. It’s that safe.
Is that EAST side Lancaster?

Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,163,200 times
My parents and brother and his wife and children all live in Palmdale and they love it. They have no plans to leave. My brother lives in the Rancho Vista community on the west side of Palmdale and his neighbors include firemen, cops, nurses, teachers, dentists, military, retirees, aerospace workers, state workers, etc. They really love the area.

My parents are older and receive good medical care there and are enjoying their retirement years. I go out that way and visit them often. I have some aunts and cousins there, and an aunt up in Tehachapi, which is another 40 minutes north. They are all moderately-liberal, gun owners and solidly middle class people.

The east sides of Palmdale and Lancaster are more blue-collar and poorer, but tell me where this isn't true? Every city that is nice will ALWAYS have a lower-class area nearby. You cannot run away from the poor or demand that they be banished. You respect them, show them kindness and don't tread into their neighborhoods at night when it could be hazardous to do so.

Palm Springs / Rancho Mirage have Desert Hot Springs nearby.
Temecula / Murrieta have Lake Elsinore and Perris nearby
Rancho Cucamonga and Upland have Fontana and Rialto nearby
Valencia has Castaic and Valverde nearby
Riverside has Moreno Valley nearby
Rancho Palos Verdes has Wilmington and Lynwood nearby
Woodland Hills has Canoga Park nearby
Granada Hills has Sylmar nearby
Pasadena has Altadena nearby

And so forth...

The vaunted "Summerlin" community on the west side of Las Vegas was built next to what many would be consider to be a "nasty" area of decaying neighborhoods, and Summerlin itself was subject to Section 8 and renters the last few years as well.

It's just a reality. Yet, none of the aforementioned places get trashed as hard as Lancaster and Palmdale do because they've got poorer areas nearby. Leona Valley and Acton are both within Palmdale zip codes and both have a median income in the $115,000+ range.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 PM

18,174 posts, read 14,753,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Lancaster is basically North and a bit East of Palmdale.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 PM

6,869 posts, read 1,959,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I lived on east side yes. After moving to Leona Valley I still frequented Lancaster and Palmdale for business, post office, groceries, etc. and over recent years the crime has been creeping to the west sides of both Lancaster and Palmdale. The A.V. press posts weekly crimes and exactly where they occur. I warned my wife as did our daughter to stop going to the Lancaster post office (10th st west) after dark. She didn’t take it serious until one night she went in to that post office and attempting to leave a man stood in front of her and starting making meaningless conversation. That was the last time she went after dark.

The homicide rate I posted was for all of Lancaster but of course most of the violent crime is on the east side.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 PM

8,743 posts, read 11,894,731 times
I enjoy a drive thru Leona Valley. It's an enjoyable drive. When I was house hunting I did consider Leona Valley but I admit it was a bit too rural for me, so was Tehachapi for that matter. I ended up choosing the Rancho Vista neighborhood and love the blend of neighborhood & convenience access to the mall area, Lancaster and quartz hills.

We like it here. It still has the small town feel meaning people are friendly & courteous, yet with the convenience of suburban shopping malls. I am a backyard gardener and I developed a backyard orchard and vegetable garden. I found out this area is great for growing fruit trees. I have 7 different fruit trees in my backyard. All of them were planted last fall, they were just a stick & 2 feet tall and now they're over 7 feet tall even after a cutting back in the summer. I will let them grow out this fall and cut back in the winter/ spring..

Old 09-25-2019, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
This. I honestly can't imagine why anyone would want to live in Palmdale/Lancaster unless they're military or aerospace.
Most aerospace live more east. Many room together. The 1.5 hr drive sort of negates the savings of living out in Lancaster. Depends on the company though. Believe it or not, "rocket scientists" don't make as much as you might think. $100,000 doesn't go very far in LA county. But we love our jobs and (I) love our state. Every state has flaws. Cali is expensive but I love the diversity (geographic, cultural, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles