U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364

Advertisements

Defend Boyle Heights | PSSST Gallery | Artwashing

This is nuts and beyond stupid!

Boyle Heights Alliance Against Artwashing and Displacement (BHAAAD)
Yes that's an actual group !

You can't make this stuff up.

Not sure about you guys .. But id be more worried about the gangbangers versus some art galleries .
I've never heard of a piece of art killing someone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Altadena, CA
1,519 posts, read 1,416,454 times
Reputation: 2678
Gentrification of Boyle Heights is inevitable and the current residents are doing everything to fight against it. They will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Gentrification of Boyle Heights is inevitable and the current residents are doing everything to fight against it. They will lose.
And I'm sure it's just a relatively few idiots that have these views .. But unfortunately they are the ones that get the media attention and some people assume they speak for the entire population

I haven't heard of people being anti- art ... Maybe during nazi Germany ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 20 hours ago)
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,107 posts, read 6,773,176 times
Reputation: 7042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
And I'm sure it's just a relatively few idiots that have these views .. But unfortunately they are the ones that get the media attention and some people assume they speak for the entire population

I haven't heard of people being anti- art ... Maybe during nazi Germany ?
Art is perceived as "white". White is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:18 PM
 
Location: El Sereno, Los Angeles, CA
733 posts, read 707,544 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Art is perceived as "white". White is bad.
Oh and that must be why Boyle Heights is chock full of murals

I actually wandered over to that event or something like it. Saying that they're against art or looking to banish all art galleries is a disingenuous simplification. It has a lot to do with the disrespectful attitudes towards the community demonstrated talking about there's no "cultural density" and general condescending attitudes, that's what was pissing them off not the fact that there was art or galleries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:18 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Art is perceived as "white". White is bad.
What an astounding claim.

I think you need to get out of south Orange County and visit East L.A. Art has always been an important part of the culture of Boyle Heights and the neighborhoods of East L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Oh and that must be why Boyle Heights is chock full of murals

I actually wandered over to that event or something like it. Saying that they're against art or looking to banish all art galleries is a disingenuous simplification. It has a lot to do with the disrespectful attitudes towards the community demonstrated talking about there's no "cultural density" and general condescending attitudes, that's what was pissing them off not the fact that there was art or galleries.
You are joking right ? They said their goal is to get rid of the art galleries in the area .
What " disrespectful attitudes "??
Any examples?
This is simply bs and just fear of those that look different . In this case it's fear of whites or non Hispanics .
Let's be honest here .
Are there any art galleries that said anything negative about the community ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
It's prejudice and discrimination based on skin color , plain and simple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,151 posts, read 13,675,815 times
Reputation: 11364
Their own words
"“We have one pretty simple demand,” Maga Miranda, an activist with the group Defend Boyle Heights, told L.A. Weekly, “which is for all art galleries in Boyle Heights to leave immediately"

Sounds pretty threatening ... What happens if they don't leave ? Will they get murdered ?
It would be really nice to see people in positions of power like the Mayor say something about this craziness before it gets way out of hand .
We are seeing a lot of hate crimes happening across the country now , would be a shame to see them happen in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: El Sereno, Los Angeles, CA
733 posts, read 707,544 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You are joking right ? They said their goal is to get rid of the art galleries in the area .
What " disrespectful attitudes "??
Any examples?
This is simply bs and just fear of those that look different . In this case it's fear of whites or non Hispanics .
Let's be honest here .
Are there any art galleries that said anything negative about the community ?
It actually has a lot to do with the New York Times piece

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/ar...age-space.html

Mocking the concept that there was a lack of cultural density was pretty big at the event if I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top