Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,264 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm 27 years old and single (no girlfriend, or children, or family over here in the US). I moved to Seattle from England around five years ago for my career, and that is where I have been ever since.

I'm now about to work in Santa Clarita, California. My company will likely provide me with corporate housing for a short while, (1-3 months), while I find an apartment to (most likely) rent, or (not so likely) buy.

From what I have heard of Santa Clarita, and on the few trips I have been, it is a lot more sub-urban and a good location for those with families, but not so much for young single people, and therefore I'm trying to read as much on the web as possible about other areas which would have a bearable commute (<45 mins). Santa Monica was my original thought, though slightly longer and a lot more expensive, and since, I've moved more towards what I read on Sherman Oaks, and Studio City. With not knowing anybody who lives in California, I would love some internet feedback!

These are probably the most important things that I'd like:

- Proximity to work: <45 minute drive, worst case hour or so with rush hour
- Close to a good gym, and golf course (I think this is kind of fine anywhere)
- Young Demographic (It'd be nice to eventually meet a girlfriend, and make some new friends as I know nobody!)
- Nightlight (nice restaurants and bars walking or a short taxi away, I don't need clubs)
- Outdoor activities (if there was a place to hike, cycle, or play soccer and sports, great)

In terms of my apartment/condo the main thing is that I have AC (as a brit!), but I'm probably looking at a price range of $1600 - $2300 per month and just need a 1 bedroom really, size is not so important.

Any tips/thoughts for neighborhoods I should research more on? If people agree with Studio City vs Sherman Oaks, is there any factors worth noting to help me differentiate preference between the two?

I'll likely apartment hunt on Zillow/HotPads unless others think there are better sites more specifically for CA.

Appreciate any of your time!
M

Last edited by mattw89; 07-30-2016 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: grammar/spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:51 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,900,785 times
Yup, Sherman Oaks or Studio City. Reverse commute and everything you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles