Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

I cannot remember seeing too many late model Volvos in L.A. Are they not popular here or is it just my perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Go to Silver Lake/Echo Park. You'll see them.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html

In general it looks like they don't sell that many Volvo cars in the U.S

About 9 times less Volvos versus BMWs or Mercedes , so I'm not sure if it's just an L.A thing.

It's possible there are some cities or neighborhoods where they are more popular though.
My first car was an old volvo. They are definitely pretty solid cars.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Volvos were never that popular in the L.A. area. They were bigger in the East and Midwest. The same type of people who had Volvos in places like Chicago and Boston had BMWs here.

Volvo's popularity in the US in general declined when the Japanese companies got into the high end of the market. Volvos rightly or wrongly have a reputation for not being reliable and having a lot of issues, so once Lexus and Acura started making vehicles in the same price range that actually were reliable and dependable, Volvo's market shrank. Toyota and Honda beat Volvo at their own game.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Indeed, they've never been particularly popular here, but I recall seeing many more of them in the past, circa 20 years ago. However, I cannot recall having seen even one recently, save the occasional run down beater on life support. And looking at the Volvo website, there are some models I don't think I've ever actually seen on the street, such as the Polestar, though I've seen countless comparables from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

I think Volvo would be smart to change their grill style and emblem, because right there is probably what's killing their brand.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed, they've never been particularly popular here, but I recall seeing many more of them in the past, circa 20 years ago.
It's been 30 years since Honda entered the high end market with Acura, and 27 years since Toyota and Nissan entered the luxury market with Lexus and Infiniti. Given the Japanese companies' reputations for reliable, well-built cars, why would the prospective customer for vehicles like that pick a car with a dubious reputation for reliability, which is super-expensive to repair, and which is a bit aesthetically challenged, like a Volvo, over a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Indeed, they've never been particularly popular here, but I recall seeing many more of them in the past, circa 20 years ago. However, I cannot recall having seen even one recently, save the occasional run down beater on life support. And looking at the Volvo website, there are some models I don't think I've ever actually seen on the street, such as the Polestar, though I've seen countless comparables from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.

I think Volvo would be smart to change their grill style and emblem, because right there is probably what's killing their brand.
Polestar, which is just a tuned version of the S60/V60 is interesting because it fills the gap that Volvo has always had with performance enthusiast cars. But the Polestar is pretty lackluster when compared to a BMW M3 for about the same price. Not to mention you can get a Corvette Stingray or any number of American new school muscle cars for less that will blow the doors off the Polestar. But they have never understood the performance market. They had the C30 hatchback a few years ago that if nothing else looked unique but cost more then a VW GTI or Subaru WRX and was woefully underpowered compared to those cars and many others in the same category. Volvo made a living on safety but now in a world where every manufacturer is at the same level of safety there is nothing unique about Volvo. And seriously as a luxury brand, I think the high end Hyundais like the Equus and Genesis are much nicer then the equivalent Volvos

Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's been 30 years since Honda entered the high end market with Acura, and 27 years since Toyota and Nissan entered the luxury market with Lexus and Infiniti. Given the Japanese companies' reputations for reliable, well-built cars, why would the prospective customer for vehicles like that pick a car with a dubious reputation for reliability, which is super-expensive to repair, and which is a bit aesthetically challenged, like a Volvo, over a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti?
There are many people where I live who seem to prefer European cars over Japanese cars in regards to expressing their financial status, regardless of overall value for their toman...um...I mean dollar. I see plenty of BMW's, Merecedes', and Audis, but Volvos are few and far between.

I was unaware that Volvo had quality issues, which surprises me.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
There are many people where I live who seem to prefer European cars over Japanese cars in regards to expressing their financial status, regardless of overall value for their toman...um...I mean dollar. I see plenty of BMW's, Merecedes', and Audis, but Volvos are few and far between.

I was unaware that Volvo had quality issues, which surprises me.
If one can afford a vehicle like that and wants something European, there's no reason not to go German. Mercedes and BMW have long been more popular than Volvo in California.

Volvo has quality issues when you compare it to the Japanese or the Germans. Now, if you're comparing it to Chrysler or GM, OTOH....

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If one can afford a vehicle like that and wants something European, there's no reason not to go German. Mercedes and BMW have long been more popular than Volvo in California.

Volvo has quality issues when you compare it to the Japanese or the Germans. Now, if you're comparing it to Chrysler or GM, OTOH....
A lot of Jews still refuse to buy a German car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles