Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 AM

67 posts, read 63,979 times

Advertisements

We are considering a well-known prep school, a "Christian" School. It is non-denominational. They have an accelerated learning environment and seem to strike the right balance between strict academics but making learning fun.

However, recently we found out we may have to move out of state. The closest similar school in our new state is a private Catholic School. (They don't necessarily call themselves a "prep" school.) Their academics seem strong but maybe not quite as accelerated (which isn't a bad thing). They welcome non-Catholics.

I am wondering -- what is the difference, really, between the two in people's experiences?

I feel a bit more comfortable with Catholic Schools because I've heard of Catholic Schools and know people that have attended various ones. I didn't know about "Christian" Schools until I came to California and while I am spiritual/religious I am not yet comfortable with the idea of Jesus as a "savior" 100%. That said, the Christian school does not make you feel like you need to be 1000% down with that as a parent -- but they do teach that.

Due to a job changes and a possible relocation, I may have to let go of the dream of this Christian school... but maybe it's for the best. I don't know. I can only go by gut instinct and I loved the school. I am just thinking maybe that's okay considering everything and maybe the private Catholic School might be a better fit -- I've spoken to them on the phone but we haven't yet toured but they seem to have a good teacher-student ratio and similar environment.

Just curious what others experiences are to shed light on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM

26,593 posts, read 26,478,904 times
We took our kids out of public school after 8th grade; one went to a Catholic high school and the other to a Christian high school. IMO, the Catholic school curriculum was much more rigorous, despite the fact that the Christian school was highly ranked (however, it was not considered a "prep school"). It's probably a personal preference.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM

12,303 posts, read 7,998,223 times
Wouldn't the "Christian" school depend upon the school, its not being part of the larger organization like the public and Catholic systems?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,786,898 times
Which is the one with the nuns that hit you with a ruler when you get an answer wrong?

And which has the priests that like little boys?

Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM

67 posts, read 63,979 times
Thanks CA4Now that is actually helpful!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 AM

823 posts, read 1,771,526 times
I think there's a big difference between Catholic and Christian schools only because the two faiths are different. Catholic schools will emphasize not just Jesus, but the Virgin Mary, Saints, the rosary, prayers, church traditions, the Pope, etc., etc.

My kids' Christian school teaches about the Bible, sin and that Jesus is as you mentioned, 100% the only Savior of mankind . There are no Virgin Marys, Saints, other mediators, prayers, good deeds, etc. that will get us into heaven. The school is open to everyone, so there are families of all faiths there.

Since you do not have any strong spiritual convictions, I would suggest you look at schools and base them on their staff/teachers (not all private school teachers are good), class size, facility, and academics.

Choosing a school can be a very hard decision. Hope you find a good fit for your family .

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 AM

601 posts, read 751,320 times
There are no non-religious prep schools to choose from? Just asking b/c IMHO realistically, both options will provide poor/little education regarding science/evolution/sex ed/biology/non-Western theology.

Source: grew up in a religious household/learning environment. My public schooling was alright, but church-related schooling was heavily screwed towards wacko-creationism.

They welcome all religions because it's a chance to convert impressionable kids...that's my honest opinion based on experience.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:11 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,890,173 times
Since the Los Angeles Unified School District is one step short of child abuse, I put my son through private K-12. His middle and high schools were Chaminade College Preparatory, a Catholic school. We are not particularly religious and he was able to ignore the "Catholic" parts for the most part and he got an EXCELLENT education. Comparable secular private schools nearby run 20 grand or more per year and this was about half that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: