Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,368,695 times

Advertisements

I guess you aren't OK with a roommate? It's not a bad thing, plenty of people do it. I wouldn't be living where I live now if the requirement was I had to be able to afford $2k in rent....and that goes for a lot of others too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 PM

72 posts, read 84,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I guess you aren't OK with a roommate? It's not a bad thing, plenty of people do it. I wouldn't be living where I live now if the requirement was I had to be able to afford $2k in rent....and that goes for a lot of others too.
I feel like I'm past the age of roommates, plus I don't like having a lot of people over and you can't really enforce that with a roommate.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,368,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
I feel like I'm past the age of roommates, plus I don't like having a lot of people over and you can't really enforce that with a roommate.
Oh OK. Well yeah, then that takes most cities like LA out of the picture. Personally I'd rather live in my desired city with a roommate than a lower cost city without one, but I know that's not the lifestyle for some people.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times
Sounds like it might be better for you in Chicago. Did you move here in order to work in the entertainment industry?
I guess you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. It seems like being in a newer higher end building is pretty important.
Building in L.A is pretty restricted so there isn't that much new development and it comes at a premium.

There do seem to be some great deals in Chicago, but I don't know the areas. Crime in the worse areas seems quite a bit worse than L.A.. I heard over 2000 shootings so far just this year

100 people shot in less than a week..
Nearly 100 people shot in Chicago in less than a week - Chicago Tribune

I'm guessing most of that violent crime is more in South Chicago and crime probably isn't too crazy in the nicer areas though?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM

762 posts, read 608,675 times
After spending 2 years in NV where I lived in the "upscale" community and had a 2b2b for $900, I left and returned to CA. There's certain things in life that just aren't worth $$$. I love Southern California and would never want to leave. Don't get me wrong I love San Diego, but I was raised in LA and it's where I would always love to return to. Anyway I was curious and went on Craigslist and searched apartments between $900-$1500. I admit while there are some studios and 1b1b at that price range, most of the areas aren't particularly great. The ones that seemed acceptable that had ads were in Pasadena, Glendale, Canoga Park, Northridge, Simi Valley, Koreatown, and Santa Clarita. Most though were for studios.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sounds like it might be better for you in Chicago. Did you move here in order to work in the entertainment industry?
I guess you'll have to decide if it's worth it or not. It seems like being in a newer higher end building is pretty important.
Building in L.A is pretty restricted so there isn't that much new development and it comes at a premium.

There do seem to be some great deals in Chicago, but I don't know the areas. Crime in the worse areas seems quite a bit worse than L.A.. I heard over 2000 shootings so far just this year

100 people shot in less than a week..
Nearly 100 people shot in Chicago in less than a week - Chicago Tribune

I'm guessing most of that violent crime is more in South Chicago and crime probably isn't too crazy in the nicer areas though?
I moved because I was struggling like hell in Chicago and needed a change (and ok I also had the typical hollywood movie star pipe dream lol). I could only afford $550 rent in Chicago so I too thought that living in the hood in LA would at least be safer. Now that I'm not struggling so much I've been having second thoughts is all. And yeah the crime is pretty much concentrated in the West and South sides. The areas I could afford now would be like living in West Hollywood or Santa Monica by the beach.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:06 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,296,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
I moved because I was struggling like hell in Chicago and needed a change (and ok I also had the typical hollywood movie star pipe dream lol). I could only afford $550 rent in Chicago so I too thought that living in the hood in LA would at least be safer. Now that I'm not struggling so much I've been having second thoughts is all. And yeah the crime is pretty much concentrated in the West and South sides. The areas I could afford now would be like living in West Hollywood or Santa Monica by the beach.
I've been to chicago fairly recently and didn't find one area remotely close to West Hollywood or Santa monica. But with that said, if you're struggling here, not embracing life in LA, and find that it is constantly causing you to complain, then maybe time to head back to that shiny block in the Windy city.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 AM

236 posts, read 257,072 times
Try finding an apartment here in a safe neighborhood for under $2k when a dog (even a small one). I constantly see tons of people walking with their dogs in areas that are mostly apartments. Where do these people live with their dogs? Were they grandfathered in? I called about a "dogs allowed" apartment last week and was told that the dog must be under 10 pounds, so my dog is 2.5 times over the weight limit. Another place had a 20 pound weight limit and they would not be replacing the front door, which the previous tenant cut nearly the whole bottom half out of in order to make a cat door...500 foot apartment, no a/c units, a freaking Murphy bed taking up the main living room wall, only half a front door, place was beaten up in general, yeah that's totally worth $2,000.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I've been to chicago fairly recently and didn't find one area remotely close to West Hollywood or Santa monica. But with that said, if you're struggling here, not embracing life in LA, and find that it is constantly causing you to complain, then maybe time to head back to that shiny block in the Windy city.
Did you venture out into Boystown or Lakeview/Lincoln Park? I'm not gonna give up yet, I'll see if after a year I can afford one of those $2k apartments

Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Try finding an apartment here in a safe neighborhood for under $2k when a dog (even a small one). I constantly see tons of people walking with their dogs in areas that are mostly apartments. Where do these people live with their dogs? Were they grandfathered in? I called about a "dogs allowed" apartment last week and was told that the dog must be under 10 pounds, so my dog is 2.5 times over the weight limit. Another place had a 20 pound weight limit and they would not be replacing the front door, which the previous tenant cut nearly the whole bottom half out of in order to make a cat door...500 foot apartment, no a/c units, a freaking Murphy bed taking up the main living room wall, only half a front door, place was beaten up in general, yeah that's totally worth $2,000.
Yeah that sounds tragic! Have you tried KoreaTown? For 2100 you could get one of those sky rise 1 bedrooms with the dog park in the building and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles