Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times

Advertisements

The 90s were a golden era. On a larger level, the world economy was incredible. The state of the world was pretty peaceful. Communism had mostly collapsed. What was the big drama of the 90s? Serbia? Crime was rapidly falling in the US.

But LA was a magical place in the 90s. The air was clean, the roads were clear, the people were nice. The weather was moderate (before global warming gave us 90 degree days in November) People were innocent. Like this thread states, kids wanted to be black because it was cool. None of the extreme racial politics we have today that is so evident on the forum. Everyone got along. The music scene, the beginning of electronic music, house, alternative rock. Brought people together. TV was silly, but everyone bonded with it.

Posters criticize me for saying the 50s and 60s was magic in LA because of racial issues. You can't say that about the 90s which were more racially harmonious than now. The 90s were the last of the good old days in LA. A struggling waitress from Minnesota could easily afford a studio at Venice Beach or West Hollywood. A couple of young college kids making an average salary could afford a two bedroom in prime Santa Monica. A young family starting out could easily afford a large house in Culver City. Even south Santa Monica.

LA was really a native and local's city back then. 3rd ST Promenade and Century City and the Farmers Market. Before they all turned nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The 90s were a golden era. On a larger level, the world economy was incredible. The state of the world was pretty peaceful. Communism had mostly collapsed. What was the big drama of the 90s? Serbia? Crime was rapidly falling in the US.

But LA was a magical place in the 90s. The air was clean, the roads were clear, the people were nice. The weather was moderate (before global warming gave us 90 degree days in November) People were innocent. Like this thread states, kids wanted to be black because it was cool. None of the extreme racial politics we have today that is so evident on the forum. Everyone got along. The music scene, the beginning of electronic music, house, alternative rock. Brought people together. TV was silly, but everyone bonded with it.

Posters criticize me for saying the 50s and 60s was magic in LA because of racial issues. You can't say that about the 90s which were more racially harmonious than now. The 90s were the last of the good old days in LA. A struggling waitress from Minnesota could easily afford a studio at Venice Beach or West Hollywood. A couple of young college kids making an average salary could afford a two bedroom in prime Santa Monica. A young family starting out could easily afford a large house in Culver City. Even south Santa Monica.

LA was really a native and local's city back then. 3rd ST Promenade and Century City and the Farmers Market. Before they all turned nasty.

Yeah race relations in Los Angeles in the 1990s were great...

Old 08-16-2016, 12:16 AM

214 posts, read 214,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:16 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:

I recall good times at Venice Beach and Santa Monica around 1999-2001. And a home in a decent neighborhood was around $100-300k range. But thanks to non-natives, especially New Yorkers, it all changed.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post

?
Yeah it's laughable that someone would say race relations in LA were good in the 90s

Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 AM

817 posts, read 752,818 times
I do agree, that the 90's in L.A. were pretty terrible. Riots, Northridge, Aerospace layoffs, L.A. was a dismal place. Seattle had all the spotlight, except for L.A. rappers and east vs. west.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
I lived in SoCal in the 90s and the air was still horrible back then. There were plenty of smog warnings on the local news about LA air. The air now days is actually cleaner now than it was 30 years ago because of industrial regulations and cleaner operating vehicles.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
I think there was one black kid and one Puerto Rican in my entire class including others within our grade where I grew up. Very suburban and super white Connecticut.

I promise you, we weren't all trying to be black.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
When I made my post I thought about the riots, and true, the early 90s were still pretty grim (although still quiet and affordable and chill compared to today) with race relations and crime. Then when Clinton became president everything magically became harmonious. Remember the Macarena?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:37 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
When I made my post I thought about the riots, and true, the early 90s were still pretty grim (although still quiet and affordable and chill compared to today) with race relations and crime. Then when Clinton became president everything magically became harmonious. Remember the Macarena?
We do not speak of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles