Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM

643 posts, read 506,502 times

Advertisements

Did you read where I stated WHY I said I thought I could rent a room and have roomates for $800 or did you just overlook that part? Have you read the posts from other users who have said it's possible to rent a room for that amount? Ok so you said I'd need to pay at least $1000 if I want to live in a decent area. I get it I'm not being naive I understand that I would need to pay more money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. I actually went straight from my parents house to living on my own for first time (in LA), but that was many years ago and even as a young adult I wasn't this naive. $800 is on the low end for renting a room. I posted a link and there were few legit ads. Rent is getting more expensive year by year. And the OP will not want a super long commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:48 PM

How am I being naive? I understand what is being said but as I've said I'm not ready to move at this exact moment. Once I finish trade school I'll be ready to move then which would be a year from now. Maybe I won't move to LA right away but I would still like to visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post

You can visit if that's where you want to spend your money. What we have been trying to get through to you is that this money is best spent elsewhere, like getting your own place and preparing yourself for independence. (BTW, if you want to know why people are calling you naive, this is a good start.)

Old 08-15-2016, 06:56 PM

I know I can make it traveling on my own my parents are the ones who think otherwise. Because they are overprotective my dad even admitted that they "might be" but only because they care about me. Which I do understand but still they aren't going to be around forever I have to experience things on my own.
Quote:
A wise Russian/Jewish proverb states: "Do not confuse tourism and immigration." The fact that you did OK as a visitor (and, after all, why wouldn't you?) does not mean you'll be able to make it living in L.A., especially not given the fact that you have not lived on your own anywhere else. Many have tried, few have succeeded.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM

I first went to LA to meet someone who I met online however I did talk to this person for a year before meeting them in person. Ever since then I've enjoyed going there and I don't see how that's wrong or how I'm being naive. Just because I travel doesn't mean I can't save money to move.

Last edited by Juventas; 08-15-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 08:01 PM

Yeah being the only child makes it worse because they have no one else to focus on but me. I'm going to start saving so in a year I'll have money saved up to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Move out. Tell your parents they should have had more kids and then they wouldnt worry about you as much

Old 08-15-2016, 08:05 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
I'm not clueless and I could see why at first they may have been worried about me traveling alone. But seeing as though I have traveled on my own and returned safely they shouldn't be so worried anymore.
This response underscores exactly what I'm talking about. You are either being deliberately obtuse or, quite frankly, you are simply not that intelligent if you are unable to figure out what I meant by the post you're quoting. Hint: it has less to do with traveling than it is with you simply being an independent adult. You're looking at an issue on the surface and are refusing or unable to look past what's right in front of you. That's what we're talking about when saying that there are greater issues at hand than arguing with your parents about whether or not it's safe for you to travel to L.A. by yourself.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
How many times have I said that I'm not just going to up and move to LA without having a plan?
OK, I'll play along: what's your plan?
Quote:
You act as if I'm saying things that are set in stone.
You are constantly (again, either deliberately or for whatever other reason) missing the point: you should not even consider moving to L.A. until you've lived on your own in your home state - something you are refusing to acknowledge you need to do.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Maybe I won't move to LA right away but I would still like to visit.
Moving in the right direction. The problem here is that you are focusing entirely too much on your obsession with visiting L.A.: we get it, you're going to do it even if you have to lie to your parents. Great. That page has been turned, move on. The bigger issue isn't with that.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I know I can make it traveling on my own my parents are the ones who think otherwise. Because they are overprotective my dad even admitted that they "might be" but only because they care about me. Which I do understand but still they aren't going to be around forever I have to experience things on my own.
What does any of this have to do with the post of mine that you're quoting? It had NOTHING to do with traveling.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:15 PM

You said why wouldn't I be ok because visiting is different from actually living there.
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with the post of mine that you're quoting? It had NOTHING to do with traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles