Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
So what do you suggest that I become a Dental Hygienist before moving to LA? They make 72,330 per year that's a lot better than 35k.
That's what highlander has been suggesting the whole thread. Move out (in Michigan), get some living alone experience under your belt, get that dental job, etc. But bottom line is, even once you do all that, it is highly unlikely you will be moving to LA with a job in hand. That's what we are trying to tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Assistants and hygienists all have to have some sort of California accreditation / license so if you do either first in your current state it won't necessarily transfer to California. You should research all this as well.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM

643 posts, read 506,689 times
Yes I've read about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Assistants and hygienists all have to have some sort of California accreditation / license so if you do either first in your current state it won't necessarily transfer to California. You should research all this as well.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM

643 posts, read 506,689 times
Ok so how is it that people move to LA without a job already lined up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's what highlander has been suggesting the whole thread. Move out (in Michigan), get some living alone experience under your belt, get that dental job, etc. But bottom line is, even once you do all that, it is highly unlikely you will be moving to LA with a job in hand. That's what we are trying to tell you.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
So what do you suggest that I become a Dental Hygienist before moving to LA? They make 72,330 per year that's a lot better than 35k.
I am not suggesting anything that specific. I know nothing about dentistry and it would be irresponsible of me to provide specific suggestions. My general suggestion is to have your finances and career path well in order, PERIOD. And only then should you think of moving. You can't skip steps.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 AM

264 posts, read 250,447 times
Quote:
I'm not in a rush to have a family I wouldn't have a problem living with roommates until I become a Dental Hygienist. They make about 75k a year which is of course a lot more than 35k. My first visit to LA was in 2014 I went there to meet someone who I had met online. I've visited three times already and I love it my dad use to live there as a kid and said if he were older he would have stayed. I can understand why everything is so different there the scenery, environment the weather. I just love being there I think I feel a lot happier when I'm there it's probably the weather. I feel like I'd fit in living there more so than in Michigan. And as I stated before there is someone who I enjoy visiting which is one of the reasons why I like being there.
That's fair. The weather was a big factor for me too.

I'd be concerned that moving to LA without any experience would put you at a big disadvantage in applying for jobs. So staying in MI and working for a bit before moving would put you in a better position.

Here are some links that might help. Apparently CA has different licensing requirements than MI and you'll need to pass an exam, so look into that too.

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/...full-time.html

Dental Hygienist Jobs | Indeed.com

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...www.indeed.com

Old 08-16-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
My first visit to LA was in 2014 I went there to meet someone who I had met online.
I'm starting to understand why your parents might be apprehensive, assuming they knew about this. Most parents are still a bit concerned about meeting people online in general, let alone flying halfway across the country to do so. Totally understood that this isn't what you're trying to do right now, and I'm not saying it's right, but it could very well be going through your parents' heads.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-16-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 10:48 AM

264 posts, read 250,447 times
Quote:
Ok so how is it that people move to LA without a job already lined up?
They have substantial living expenses saved up, they're willing to take the first minimum-wage job they can get, or they have someone to stay with until they find a job. Or they don't care if they run out of money and end up living off credit cards or on the street.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I feel like I'd fit in living there more so than in Michigan.
Based on what evidence?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyladonna789 View Post
Nice respons...
Thanks so much....
Maybe take that broken link out of your posts? And whom are you thanking and for what? This isn't "your" thread and you haven't asked anyone anything for which you should be "thanking" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles