Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM

109 posts, read 395,312 times

Advertisements

Hi - I've been watching apartment ads on Craig's List and there have been oodles of ads for the Seaport Homes Complex in San Pedro.

Has anyone checked these out or rented them? I'd like to know if they're worth checking out. They look good from their website, but everything looks better from online! ;-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM

61 posts, read 431,446 times
Though I've not been inside of the complex, I drive by it several times a week. I think they're definitely worth a look-see!

The complex has been undergoing construction for a year or so now. It looks quite nice from the outside and I always see fairly nice cars coming and going from the complex. The complex itself is located on Western Avenue at Fitness Drive.

Location wise, I'd say it's in a nicer area of San Pedro. Convenient to the freeway, right next door to a mammoth sized new (2/3 years old) Albertson's supermarket and a "strip mall" with a couple eateries, Starbucks, drug store, Coldstone, hair salon, bank etc.

Just north (yards away) is an old abandoned military single family housing complex which is in the demolition process, sort of. The city and the developer (of Ponte Vista Dev.) apparently are at odds on issues so not much has taken place in the last couple of years. The homes are boarded up etc. The LAPD has been using the complex as a tactical training/practice complex but not sure if that's continuing since the demo began.

Also just north is Green Hills Cemetary on the west side of the street.

On the other side of the cemetary is low-income government apartments, I want to say it's welfare type housing, but that may not be the correct term.

The Seaport side of the street, I believe, is considered San Pedro however if you cross the street to the West it's Rancho Palos Verdes.

The photos on the Seaport website--with the exception of the shot of the bridge, the rest of the images are photos of locations in Rancho Palos Verdes
on Palos Verdes Drive South on the Catalina side of the peninsula.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited by dbaMommy; 02-20-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Thought of one more thing!

The Seaport complex, I believe, are condos.

If you're in the market for condos, I have several family members who currently (and formerly) resided in an area called "The Gardens." They all felt that it was very safe there and have never had any issues to speak of.

Just another option if you're looking for housing in San Pedro in a safe area.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Wow! That's great info! I'm looking for places within a reasonable drive of El Segundo and this place has been posting so much, I figure it's worth checking out.

Thanks!!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzicato66 View Post
Wow! That's great info! I'm looking for places within a reasonable drive of El Segundo and this place has been posting so much, I figure it's worth checking out.
If a reasonable drive, in rush hour, is considered an hour or better, you're good to go. But you can pretty much expect that drive time from/to San Pedro and El Segundo during rush.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM

81 posts, read 327,134 times
What are you looking for in a place besides proximity to your job? I live in san pedro and that area is pretty nice. however we also joke that it is in "the wake of the refinery", i.e.you have a nice view of the oil refinery there. for me that would dimish the quality, but like i said its a nice area with good real estate values so i seem to be in the minority in caring about that issue. also, i would recommend trying to live closer to el segundo than san pedro.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
If a reasonable drive, in rush hour, is considered an hour or better, you're good to go. But you can pretty much expect that drive time from/to San Pedro and El Segundo during rush.
Depending on when your start time and end time at work are, the drive time isn't that bad. Like much else in life, timing is everything.

I can get to LAX in 30 minutes via a few different routes depending on the day/time from my home which is a short distance above San Pedro.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 PM

81 posts, read 327,134 times
dba is totally right on the timing. an early leave in morning rush hour (by 645) could make an enormous difference. but then my mom claims the 405 is stop and go at the 110 starting north at 7am. i leave at 9 to avoid some of the worst. when i try to leave at 8 i regret it. if i can leave by 7:30, its the same as 9am, usually not too bad. its all about the timing!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Timing all does go into it, but I also have a large dog, so I need to go where I can have him and I can afford the rent (trying to keep it under $1500 ideally but up to $2000). I'm accustomed to a commute of 45 minutes to an hour already so it wouldn't be that much of a change for me.

I've spent some time out in the area and always liked the PV peninsula, so I've been checking items there, as well as closer to El Segundo. It's always nice to have a wide selection of options!

On the other hand, I may wind up in Del Mar, depending on where I get an offer, so who knows?!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaMommy View Post
Depending on when your start time and end time at work are, the drive time isn't that bad. Like much else in life, timing is everything.

I can get to LAX in 30 minutes via a few different routes depending on the day/time from my home which is a short distance above San Pedro.
Absolutely agree. That's why I specified rush hour. My MIL lives in RPV above SP, so I'm very familiar with the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles