Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
I've never been to the area, so I'm only basing it on what I can see on google maps / street view. But my main problem with it is the houses / architecture are just plain UGLY. Lots of 1950's stucco boxes. Yech.
Don't talk until you've actually been to the neigbourhood. Loads of beautiful Spanish homes. So much charm. How can you even try and go by google maps without even driving around for yourself? Are you that desperate to form an opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM

214 posts, read 214,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Don't talk until you've actually been to the neigbourhood. Loads of beautiful Spanish homes. So much charm. How can you even try and go by google maps without even driving around for yourself? Are you that desperate to form an opinion?
Miss, I am never going to buy in a home in that area and the chances of me even driving there are basically nil. You posted a about an area I am unfamiliar with so I went to street view and looked at 3 random streets. I was not impressed and thought the vast majority of the houses looked ugly. That's my opinion. I get to have one just like you do.

On Dwiggins

Stringer

Geraghty - Definitely the best of the lot and the only Spanish style I saw browsing around. If all the houses looked like this, I would agree the area would have some potential.

Am I looking in the wrong area?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Miss, I am never going to buy in a home in that area and the chances of me even driving there are basically nil. You posted a about an area I am unfamiliar with so I went to street view and looked at 3 random streets. I was not impressed and thought the vast majority of the houses looked ugly. That's my opinion. I get to have one just like you do.

On Dwiggins

Stringer

Geraghty - Definitely the best of the lot and the only Spanish style I saw browsing around. If all the houses looked like this, I would agree the area would have some potential.

Am I looking in the wrong area?
Good. I'm definitely not trying to pursued "Nerd Lord" to do anything. That's not the intention of this post.

Actually this is good, I was about to start taking screenshots of all the beautiful homes but then I thought I'm not going to waste my time with the Lord of Nerds because it's probably best if this is all kept low key. Especially after I just saw some annoying looking hipsters loading their yoga mats into their cars. Yes Nerd Lord, carry on. Forget I said anything. You're right, I'm wrong

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Good. I'm definitely not trying to pursued "Nerd Lord" to do anything. That's not the intention of this post.

Actually this is good, I was about to start taking screenshots of all the beautiful homes but then I thought I'm not going to waste my time with the Lord of Nerds because it's probably best if this is all kept low key. Especially after I just saw some annoying looking hipsters loading their yoga mats into their cars. Yes Nerd Lord, carry on. Forget I said anything. You're right, I'm wrong
You're the one that chose to start a thread about it.

Clearly you got quite butt hurt when every person disagreed with your initial premise.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
I don't see the value in City Terrace.

Yes, it's in a hilly area with some nice views and among the various east LA neighborhoods, it does have lower crime rates (which isn't saying much), but if there is any gentrification, it's going to a very slow moving process.

You still have the following negatives.

1. Significant gang presence within a couple mile radius
2. Locked in by 4 freeways with some of the worst pollution in the city
3. Run-down stucco boxes for houses

I'd find no reason to live there unless City Terrace is an improvement in your living situation.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
I don't see the value in City Terrace.

Yes, it's in a hilly area with some nice views and among the various east LA neighborhoods, it does have lower crime rates (which isn't saying much), but if there is any gentrification, it's going to a very slow moving process.

You still have the following negatives.

1. Significant gang presence within a couple mile radius
2. Locked in by 4 freeways with some of the worst pollution in the city
3. Run-down stucco boxes for houses

I'd find no reason to live there unless City Terrace is an improvement in your living situation.
Yeah that was my point as well.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You're the one that chose to start a thread about it.

Clearly you got quite butt hurt when every person disagreed with your initial premise.
My butt isn't hurt. If you can read you will see the subject title is about affordable housing in the hills with beautiful views and then I explain how it's minutes away from DTLA and people who cannot afford Silverlake, Echo Park and Korean Town (like my coworkers for example) are buying in City Terrace (and Boyle Heights). No one is really disagreeing with those things.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
My butt isn't hurt. If you can read you will see the subject title is about affordable housing in the hills with beautiful views and then I explain how it's minutes away from DTLA and people who cannot afford Silverlake, Echo Park and Korean Town (like my coworkers for example) are buying in City Terrace (and Boyle Heights). No one is really disagreeing with those things.
I know someone paying $950 for a 1 bedroom place in Silverlake so its not THAT unaffordable. And for some reason you seem to put Echo park and Korea Town on some kind of pedestal. I gave to drive through both areas on occasion. They are not god awful, but both tend to be extremely filthy with tons of undesirables walking around. And I won't even get into Boyle heights. I went to look at a rental there about 7 years ago when I wasn't overly familiar with LA and times were tight. Even being broke I knew to tell the landlord no thanks. Rather sleep in my car by the beach.

You've gotten plenty of responses regarding City Terrace. if you think its such a steal, more power to you. I am old enough to realize when it comes to cars and homes, people can talk themselves into anything. There's tons of somewhat affordable homes in East LA also. Somebody will buy up those homes. Might as well be you

Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
One of my friends bought in Mt Washington 15 years ago at beginning of gentrification and he's still waiting. Same with another that bought near USC 5 years ago
Mount Washington has always been a nice area

Old 08-19-2016, 05:02 PM

176 posts, read 177,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Mount Washington has always been a nice area

Seirously, that's what I was thinking. I bought a home in NW Pasadena in 2003 waiting for that to gentrify.

I sold it in 2013. Did ok, but man the neighborhood was WORSE! No gentrification went on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles