U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:19 AM

5,908 posts, read 2,534,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Have lots of gangs left Los Angeles? I hear Los Angeles still has lots of gangs but not like it was in the 90's.:eek

What are the gangs like in Los Angeles compared to other cities?
I don't know, since I don't hang out with, see them at all or go to other cities to compare.

The thing is, it seems you would need to look at actual, current statistics for specific vicinities and there are better and worse spots in all large cities.

A friend in Santa Clarita who does not get out much assumes that all of L. A. and the Valley are full of those "running with guns and knives"... When I worked in S. C. in the '90's, a coworker who lived there said that if a crime was committed in the area, that the criminal "had to have come up from the Valley". (Dear, God....) I will hear of incidents happening there since that time and surely, they have their OWN criminals.

There are always pockets of or certain areas where crime is more commonplace, but crime can occur pretty much anywhere, to some greater or lesser degree.

What are we talking about, again??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Have you ever been to NYC? Nobody would even bat an eye.

I've seen a perfectly un-homeless-looking woman randomly stop her car in the middle of morning traffic, hop outside, flash everyone, get back in the car and drive off. Lots of people are out there missing a screw or two and not every single one of them is a street person.
Right. Anyone can be loony.. when it comes to mental issues, it doesn't matter how much money one has.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
oh, good, another researcher of "scary non-white people" in l.a. We haven't had one of you guys in...two days?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 AM

7,417 posts, read 3,471,656 times
Quote:
Have lots of gangs left Los Angeles? I hear Los Angeles still has lots of gangs but not like it was in the 90's.

Homeless and people loitering in public is also way down than how it was in the 90's.

Also I hear there not many people from The Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti in Los Angeles. Why is that? Most them moved to Florida?

Some crime is down in Los Angeles and other crime is up in Los Angeles.

Are you assuming people from the Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti in Los Angeles. Why is that? Most them moved to Florida? are Gang members?

These people are mostly from the Caribbean who live in the Northeast & Florida primarily and don't have gang affliations like those in California.
These groups you mentioned never lived in significant numbers in California to begin with.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 AM

77,349 posts, read 90,046,996 times
Quote:
Have lots of gangs left Los Angeles? I hear Los Angeles still has lots of gangs but not like it was in the 90's.

Homeless and people loitering in public is also way down than how it was in the 90's.

Also I hear there not many people from The Bahamas, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti in Los Angeles. Why is that? Most them moved to Florida?

Some crime is down in Los Angeles and other crime is up in Los Angeles.

I certainly am not an expert of the subject, not living there for many years. I do still visit from time to time. What I have heard, and from many sources, the street people problem is worse than ever.

As for gangs, let's face it, most large cities have gang problems, I doubt Los Angeles is any worse, but they have always had a gang problem, is certain parts of the city.

The rest, is probably more a matter of opinion than actual fact.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:27 AM

77,349 posts, read 90,046,996 times
Quote:
Looking at Google Los Angeles unemployment rate is at %7.5 So that may explain large Homeless population.

I thought I read here that a lot people where leaving Los Angeles because a lack of jobs and housing cost is really high now in LA.

When small house like this cost $600,000
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/10...e88fb3.jpg?v=0

Where price to buy house now is at $600,000 for small home.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a1ba5a6d8e.jpg
Just our of curiosity and you may have answered this, I haven't read all the replies, why are you so interested in the crime, property costs, etc. are you planning on moving to Los Angeles? Or are you just trying to let us know, where you live is much safer and better than Los Angeles? Remember Los Angeles is a heck of a lot bigger than most cities, both population and area.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-21-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 05:23 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,101,300 times
Any large port city LA, Houston pick will have a worse gang problem because it's a great place to import drugs so yeah LA has a serious gang problem just as bad as the 80's don't care about the reclassified BS numbers. The Chollos and bangers these days don't fly colors except for their YT vids of pride.

Who wants to move to any of the woods INGLEWOOD, LYNWOOD.......that's what I thought not much has changed.

Change the name to South LA and it's still Snoop Dog Shugg Night thug area.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:31 PM

22,301 posts, read 8,848,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Any large port city LA, Houston pick will have a worse gang problem because it's a great place to import drugs so yeah LA has a serious gang problem just as bad as the 80's don't care about the reclassified BS numbers. The Chollos and bangers these days don't fly colors except for their YT vids of pride.

Who wants to move to any of the woods INGLEWOOD, LYNWOOD.......that's what I thought not much has changed.

Change the name to South LA and it's still Snoop Dog Shugg Night thug area.
To be fair, Weird Al Yankovic was born and raised in Lynwood lol

Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,098,035 times
Quote:
Really looking at statistics LA got 260 homicides last year. There are 52 weeks in year that is close to 5 in one week.

LAPD statistics illustrate the 'nature of homicide in Los Angeles' - LA Times

Most Dangerous Los Angeles Neighborhoods.
http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele...zip-codes.html

Report LA safer than 25% of the cities in the US.

Report 8,113 robbery!! That is really high for robbery.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
Why does any of this matter to you specifically?

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,098,035 times
Quote:
Note I was asking for info about gangs and crime in LA.

Not trying to prove LA some very dangerous place to stay clear from or it some quite suburb with little to no crime.

I will not post any more links here or statistics number if it is coming across I'm trying to prove some thing.

The other members here can explain the crime in LA and information about gangs in LA.
Maybe you can start by telling us what the point of this quasi-investigation is and then you may not be accused of just stirring up crap. Although I see you've made an attempt to do that, see my next post.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-21-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles