Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 05:00 PM

368 posts, read 413,291 times

Advertisements

Its not that I WANT to leave LA but, I may have to, sadly. I havent worked in 16 months & I dont see any end in sight. The jobs just arent here & the competition is just absurd. Way too many people w/ nowhere near enough GOOD jobs. Im almost ashamed to say that, Ive been on welfare for 9 months now. I had a solid 25 year work career & everything went to pure s&%t. All that being said, Id still miss this place & it would be hard to get adjusted anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You can't blame them, cold, and the adverse road conditions that come with it, sucks. I never want to see another flake of snow as long as I live. Heat, I'm obviously fine with if it's dry, I actually like Santa Ana days, when it can be hot at the beach even
Yes, I agree. Snow is awful and dry heat is preferable to humid heat, although mild is best of all.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
This post is fascinating from a sociology standpoint. Some people will defend LA till the end of time or the city implodes whichever comes first ...others hate it all and leave or have left asap.

I think the poster should give it 6 mths and decide what he wants to do bolt or stay

Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I've said for ages that Southern California would be my home for the rest of my life. But this past year, a lot of things left me discouraged.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 PM

132 posts, read 132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Ridiculous. You can even find studios for less than that in crime filled, roach infested towns like Studio City or Beverly Hills

Good Question.

You went on the high end. Someone just told me they were paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom Burbank Apartment

Dude, what you described is an upper class lifestyle. That's beyond living well. And if you need more cash , then put the wife to work NOW!. Allowing her to stay home is a personal choice.

This comment here means you're now creating things to fit you own argument and can no longer be taken seriously. Burbank is Middle America huh? Universal Studios is literally next door; it houses both Warner Brothers and Disney Studios, tons of places to eat and shop, about 6-7 miles from Hollywood.....you have a warped idea on what Middle America really is. Maybe it is time for you to go. Go enjoy that big house somewhere in the woods.

And BTW, what was wrong with that apartment I saw in the pics? For those complaining about space, you need to go check out NYC where 500K gets you about 1000 square feet and you could possibly be parking somewhere down the street. And I'm not talking Manhatten.
You sound like a forever renter that's content with just that, status quo for most who live here and are just cool with getting by and having a little left over at the end of the month. That's perfectly fine btw, and a lot here can't even get to that level. I want more and am willing to move to get it.

As for the wife not working, she's more valuable to me at home with my 3 year old then making $15 an hour somewhere which would essentially pay for 40 hours of daycare, no thanks. A personal choice, but the right one in my mind.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Please read this link about a young Korean-American couple that moved from LA to Minneapolis and opened a popular Korean restaurant there.

About Us | The Rabbit Hole.

I fully expect the "they will return after a few more cold winters" replies. Lol. They have been there since 2012. Anyways, to anyone not living in a bubble, there are people that do move out of the LA region (and out of any other city, too) and go on to have enjoyable lives.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-22-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 09:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
You sound like a forever renter that's content with just that, status quo for most who live here and are just cool with getting by and having a little left over at the end of the month.
Well, one is not supposed to spend more than 33% of their income on rent. I don't. I make about 1600/month or so, and my rent is $500/month.

Quote:
That's perfectly fine btw, and a lot here can't even get to that level. I want more and am willing to move to get it.
Yeah, willing to move to a flyover state. I do not wish to live in a flyover state. WHERE I live is more important to me than the size of my dwelling. When you live in a Great City like Los Angles or Silicon Valley, you don't need a big house, because the amenities of the big house are out there in the city.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyuna View Post
Yeah that's why thunderstorms aren't used for white noise machines, cause they are totally not relaxing

I bet that $1700 apartment is outdated AF complete with white paint slathered all over the place to hide the deteriorating interior. This is what $1800 will get you in Burbank folks, totally worth it.

Meanwhile for $1000 in Vegas

And Orlando

And I'm already from a large city, one where the rent is pretty comparable, the difference is you can actually buy a decent updated studio in a nice area for $100-$150k whereas in LA your budget starts at $300k. Job skills are overrated btw, I make more now than I did when I transferred here with my job.
Actually it's a very nice apt. Sorry to disappoint you.

Go to Vegas. Had another relative who lived there. Drove from LA to Vegas to see her, had to drive at night because it was too hot to drive during the day. We went to a shopping mall, she pulled out an oven mitt out of her purse, and said "don't touch the car"....LOL.....just wonderful.

Miserable. Even at night. We spent the rest of the whole time indoors, she moved after a few years due to the heat. Went back in Dec, that was nice. But a couple of months of nice weather and the rest brutal. That's why it's cheaper.

Orlando....LOL. Even worse, 9 months of brutal humidity and you get 3 months in the winter that is decent. Still can be warm, but not as oppressive as the rest of the year. You also better check out salaries down there, they're quite low. So the rent is less, but so is the salary. So now you're in the same boat. Oh and if you own a car, you better check out car insurance in FL. It's much higher than CA.

There are reasons these places are cheaper.

Happy Trails.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM

132 posts, read 132,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, one is not supposed to spend more than 33% of their income on rent. I don't. I make about 1600/month or so, and my rent is $500/month.

Yeah, willing to move to a flyover state. I do not wish to live in a flyover state. WHERE I live is more important to me than the size of my dwelling. When you live in a Great City like Los Angles or Silicon Valley, you don't need a big house, because the amenities of the big house are out there in the city.
You're single with no kids and live in a cheap shoebox that's perfect for you, congrats! We're coming from two different area codes.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 PM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Actually it's a very nice apt. Sorry to disappoint you.

Go to Vegas. Had another relative who lived there. Drove from LA to Vegas to see her, had to drive at night because it was too hot to drive during the day. We went to a shopping mall, she pulled out an oven mitt out of her purse, and said "don't touch the car"....LOL.....just wonderful.

Miserable. Even at night. We spent the rest of the whole time indoors, she moved after a few years due to the heat. Went back in Dec, that was nice. But a couple of months of nice weather and the rest brutal. That's why it's cheaper.

Orlando....LOL. Even worse, 9 months of brutal humidity and you get 3 months in the winter that is decent. Still can be warm, but not as oppressive as the rest of the year. You also better check out salaries down there, they're quite low. So the rent is less, but so is the salary. So now you're in the same boat. Oh and if you own a car, you better check out car insurance in FL. It's much higher than CA.

There are reasons these places are cheaper.

Happy Trails.
A lot of people love the heat in Vegas though. I have family who think it's great and will never leave. So mix that with how cheap it is and they love it. Vegas is the perfect place for them.

The humidity is a different story though, I question people who say they enjoy it and it doesn't bother them at all. But hey, everyone is different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles