Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,469 times

Advertisements

I am still contemplating a move to Cali. I was wondering if the beaches in Northern Cali are any cleaner than Southern Cali? Especially the water. I keep hearing SoCal beaches are sewers! True or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
SoCal beaches are pretty bad, especially after it rains. All of the oil and garbage on the streets gets swept into the storm drains and goes right out to sea. Surfers who have ignored the warnings not to go in the water right after it rains have had skin rashes and other problems.

I don't know a lot about NoCal beaches; I'd imagine that the ones *way* north (north of San Francisco) would be better because there's less population up that way.

There is a website for "beach report cards" that you might want to check out:

[url]www.healthebay.org/brc/statemap.asp[url]

Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Do you surf? If so, Southern Ca. No. Cal water is much colder and not exactly known for it's beaches.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:43 AM

231 posts, read 508,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Do you surf? If so, Southern Ca. No. Cal water is much colder and not exactly known for it's beaches.
Maybe not known for the surfing, but Northern Cal beaches are far more beautiful and pristine (and yes, LOTS colder all year round) Way up north, you`ll find Redwood forests that fall into the ocean, and in SoCAL you basically get stacks upon stacks of houses for your backdrop. Water is much cleaner in the North two, but it gets stormy a lot more too. If you are looking for beauty, go North.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:49 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
Try Maverick's in Half Moon Bay (slightly below S.F.), wooo hoooo, cowabunga!! Surf's up forever with giant, north shore Hawaiian-style monster waves. See "Riding Giants" big-wave surfing documentary by former Dogtown skaterboy Stacy Peralta.

Other posters are right: So. Cal generally has the sandy beaches for surfside activities, No. Cal generally has the rocky cliffs of forests next to the ocean.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:30 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Next question, so NoCal beaches are no good for swimming? You mention how cold they are, is that in the dead of summer too?

Old 11-28-2006, 02:10 PM

231 posts, read 508,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Next question, so NoCal beaches are no good for swimming? You mention how cold they are, is that in the dead of summer too?
Depends on how north you go- central california waters (say, Monterrey to San Francisco) are a bit warmer in the summer/early fall months. But still considerably colder than southern California waters, which get around 70 degrees F. in the summer. Way up north, past Mendocino, the water is too-cold-to-swim-in all year round (60 degrees F. at the very warmest in the summer). Plus the water is generally rougher in northern California, with dangerous currents and undertow (although not so bad in summer months). If you plan on going in the water in northern/central california, you really need to be an excellent swimmer and wear a wetsuit. For swimming and leisure activities, So Cal beaches are better. Northern California also has the grand-daddy of all fish, the Great White shark, usually not worth worrying about, but always in the back of your mind......

Old 11-28-2006, 03:25 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,450 times
So Cal beaches may be better for swimming but I'd still never set foot in the water there... I lived all along the coast of Southern Cali from Huntington Beach down to Laguna and now I'm in LA and the beaches in South Orange County aren't as bad but the closer you get to LA the water is a nasty black /brown color and the beaches are always so crowded you can't really enjoy yourself anyway. I used to go to the beach but it has become too difficult Don't move to a place just for the beaches, you may be disappointed. Please come check it out first. If you really like good weather and beaches, move to Hawaii. Can't get any better than that!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:55 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,871 times
I am a surfer, and I think southern CA's beach's are superior to Norcals for a few reasons: Waves, warmth, color, and sand. Southern California has the whole sandals and beach vibe going on. As other have noted: Norcal, has more of the forest-vibe. Santa Cruz area has a few pretty good beaches. Carmel is a nice beach too. Actually can't complain about most of Califonia's Beaches..

Water quality can be horrible in So Cal; 48 hours rule-no swimming after it rains for two days. The quality is habitually worse off in: LA, Santa Monica, San Diego, or Imperial Beach, CA. For much of the year, Orange County through Northern San Diego County has no brown foam at all.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,360 times
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the Palm trees, surfers, and boardwalks, Southern California beaches embrace that culture. But there are also some beautiful spots up in San Francisco and also Carmel and San Simeon- more of a clam chowder, bed and breakfast atmosphere,. Morro Bay, Carmel, and Cambria are popular getaways. And the scenery changes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles