Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 21,241 times

Advertisements

hi i am planning a birthday trip to LA and Vegas. Problem is I have been trying to find where to stay in LA but i can't find anything anywhere that suits what i am looking for and in my price range. I don't even know how many days i would need for my itinerary which is the obvious:
Hollywood Heritage Museum, Hollywood Museum, Hollywood Wax Museum, Madame Tussauds, Hollywood WAlk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, and possibly the Grammy Museum. anyone got any suggestions/recommendations where to stay on a budget and would two days be enough for my initerary? thank for your time and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 PM

601 posts, read 755,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natntx View Post
hi i am planning a birthday trip to LA and Vegas. Problem is I have been trying to find where to stay in LA but i can't find anything anywhere that suits what i am looking for and in my price range. I don't even know how many days i would need for my itinerary which is the obvious:
Hollywood Heritage Museum, Hollywood Museum, Hollywood Wax Museum, Madame Tussauds, Hollywood WAlk of Fame, Hollywood Sign, and possibly the Grammy Museum. anyone got any suggestions/recommendations where to stay on a budget and would two days be enough for my initerary? thank for your time and all.
You didn't tell us your budget. Try koreatown tho.

Also just FYI, the Hollywood stuff/area is vastly overrated and kind of sucks, even for tourists. Besides the sign (an unoffensive little hike, nice but nothing lifechanging) everything on your "the obvious" list is stuff that's super boring and skip-able, IMHO. You're missing the real sights completely, and if you're trying to see a celebrity or something, you're definitely looking in all the wrong places.

Things I'd recommend over Hollywood any day:
-LACMA
-Any number of beaches
-Downtown/Little Tokyo
-Natural History Museum
-The Getty
-Catch an improv show
-Or go to a TV show taping up in the valley

Old 09-10-2016, 05:44 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

Also just FYI, the Hollywood stuff/area is vastly overrated and kind of sucks, even for tourists. Besides the sign (an unoffensive little hike, nice but nothing lifechanging) everything on your "the obvious" list is stuff that's super boring and skip-able, IMHO. You're missing the real sights completely, and if you're trying to see a celebrity or something, you're definitely looking in all the wrong places.

-LACMA
-Any number of beaches
-Downtown/Little Tokyo
-Natural History Museum
-The Getty
-Catch an improv show
And Auto Museum, MOCA, Huntington, etc. Hollywood is a waste of time

Old 09-12-2016, 09:33 AM

266 posts, read 271,690 times
A few things to check out while in LA that you might like according to your list. If you want to view the sign and walk around some hit Griffith Park, great views. Best Beaches to visit: Manhattan Beach, just a beautiful place, Venice for the Freak show, Santa Monica Pier if you like to People Watch, Huntington Beach if you in Orange County, nice walking beach, great waves to watch people Surf on, Malibu Beach is nice too. If you are into Cars and want to visit a Museum the Peterson Museum is great, also the Nethercut Collection is great, the admission is free but you have to make reservations. There is a difference between the Museum (Not Free) and the Collection, the Collection is better and has a beautiful Pipe Organ in it. Some fun/nice places to eat, breakfast or Lunch, Polly's on the Pier in Redondo Beach, cheap but pretty good food. Other lunch/dinner places the Terrace in Venice, Malibu Seafood and Neptunes Net, a little more pricey but good is Dukes in Malibu, Enterprise Seafood in SM, Sunset in Malibu, all good Seafood places.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,359 times
Quote:

-LACMA
-Any number of beaches
-Downtown/Little Tokyo
-Natural History Museum
-The Getty
-Catch an improv show
Agreed. No offense, op, but the only thing obvious about your itinerary to an LA native is the sheer suckage of it. Avoiding Hollywood proper is one of the keys to enjoying a tourist visit to LA. Unless you like traffic, grime, and standing around with a bunch of people from all over the world going " wtf why did we come down here?"

Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Agreed. No offense, op, but the only thing obvious about your itinerary to an LA native is the sheer suckage of it. Avoiding Hollywood proper is one of the keys to enjoying a tourist visit to LA. Unless you like traffic, grime, and standing around with a bunch of people from all over the world going " wtf why did we come down here?"
And then coming back here when they get home to tell us all what a let down LA was, how much it sucks etc

Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 AM

39 posts, read 40,525 times
Quote:
-LACMA
-Any number of beaches
-Downtown/Little Tokyo
-Natural History Museum
-The Getty
-Catch an improv show
I think it's because I started my LA tourism in the bolded area that I have such a good impression of the city.

And I'm sure we've all heard stories of foreign tourists leaving LA disappointed because they went to Hollywood and saw the Hollywood sign and didn't know what else to do.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 10,443 times
Go to the Griffith Observatory. You won't regret it. Get there around sunset. You get the best views of the Hollywood sign, and walk to the front of the building and you'll get the best view of the entire LA basin. It's breathtaking. Go inside the museum if you want it's pretty neat in there.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:47 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
There is a Sheraton in Culver City that's reasonably priced (some relatives recently stayed there and it was about $150/night). Its a good location to see lots of the things that others have recommended. Nothing is more than about 10 miles from Culver City.

I agree that Hollywood is disappointing. If you must go, then just drive down Hollywood Blvd and 'see' it from your car. The place stinks like urine, there are homeless people everywhere, it's just not worth wasting your time. There are so many more worthwhile places. Not sure where you are from, but I would suggest one day alone to go along the coast and see our beautiful beaches. Getty is gorgeous, then downtown LA there are museums. LA Live area is fun at night if you are into the bar/club scene. Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier are fun places to visit.

Hope you have a great time, no matter what you choose to do!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:38 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
IF you want the full Hollywood experience check the Hollywood Roosevelt. They may have a special going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles