Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Example here of why these encampments are unlikely to go away under this current Mayor

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti counting on new HOPE program to help the homeless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 01:31 AM

"The issue of urban homelessness again made headlines following the death of a gay man in Miami — the husband of an AIDS organization executive director — after he was shoved to the ground by a transient arrested 29 times previously."

Why are people being arrested 29 times ?
How many " chances " should we give people .
Some just need to be locked up forever..

After Gay Man Killed by Transient, Will Cities Confront Homelessness? | Advocate.com

Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 AM

93 posts, read 95,296 times
The solution to the homeless problem in LA is very simple
The solution to the housing problem in LA is very simple
The solution to the traffic problem in LA is very simple
Build more residential units market rate and lower income/homeless, build more office units and industrial units
Expand and fund our public transit system
Find a good source of water
Build! If done correctly and not haphazardly it's the only solution

Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
The solution to the homeless problem in LA is very simple
The solution to the housing problem in LA is very simple
The solution to the traffic problem in LA is very simple
Build more residential units market rate and lower income/homeless, build more office units and industrial units
Expand and fund our public transit system
Find a good source of water
Build! If done correctly and not haphazardly it's the only solution
Thankfully you're not in charge of anything and just and internet troll

Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 AM

249 posts, read 266,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm a bit dizzy ...
I realize I didn't post this to the attention of 2sleepy. That post was directed to his many rambling replies to me.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:15 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"The issue of urban homelessness again made headlines following the death of a gay man in Miami — the husband of an AIDS organization executive director — after he was shoved to the ground by a transient arrested 29 times previously."

Why are people being arrested 29 times ? How many " chances " should we give people . Some just need to be locked up forever..
Another article stated they were all minor charges and most had been dropped. Let me explain something to you about American jurisprudence. Getting arrested for numerous minor violations and having most of the charges dropped does not somehow lead to a 'life sentence'. And while what happened to the victim is a tragedy, you need to ask yourself if he could have avoided his untimely death if he had not decided to photograph the homeless man in order to 'report his behavior to the police'; and no I'm not blaming the victim but really- why stop and photograph a crazy guy? "Dutton told police that he and Lang often saw Celestin “asking for money and causing disturbances,” and said the men wanted to pass the photos along to the proper authorities".

Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think what you are saying is that 5150 H&S already allows for involuntary confinement of the mentally ill which is true, but what you do not seem to understand is that as soon as a mentally ill person 'recovers' enough so that they know their name, they understand that they need to eat and drink water to stay alive, and they are not threatening anyone they are released, that usually happens sometime during the 72 hour hold but almost always before 14 days.

Almost no one in California is confined in a mental hospital long term. The provisions of Lanterman-Petris ensure that the mentally ill are immediately released when they no longer pose an immediate threat to themselves or others, maybe our 'misunderstanding' is that you think once you 5150 a person they are off the streets for good, if so then you need to understand; that is NOT what happens. And just to be clear (and I'm not sure you understand this either) a person can almost never be treated with psychotropic drugs against their will.
You keep stating I don't understand, I do understand. I've never said, nor implied, I thought a 5150, takes someone off the streets for good. I've already stated I understand 5150 and the right to refuse drugs, I hear inmates refuse drugs every week. Your continued insistence I don't understand appears to be another attempted strawman.

Why join a discussion forum only to be angered when others have a different perspective, if you have concern for the homeless why do you attack and insult others instead of conveying your understanding of the subject.

Simple question you haven't answered, do you believe the vulnerable gravely disabled should be left on the street to fend for themselves if they refuse housing?

If my postings anger or frustrate you, don't reply to them, just scroll on by

Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
Simple question you haven't answered, do you believe the vulnerable gravely disabled should be left on the street to fend for themselves if they refuse housing?
I'll answer anything you want as soon as you explain what you think should happen to them and how the current law supports your solution.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'll answer anything you want as soon as you explain what you think should happen to them and how the current law supports your solution.

One more non answer.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 PM

2sleepy , that does sound like blaming the victim .. doesnt law enforcement always ask for a description of the criminal or perpetrator ?

If they were arrested 29 times how many other crimes did they commit ? Probably hundreds .
Sorry I don't think people that continuously get arrested should be around us law abiding citizens .
You might be fine being around people like that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles