Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 12:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Finper, honest question: what does "living in LA" - or not - have to do with being knowledgeable about homelessness and the Constitutionally based laws that must be considered and navigated in order to maintain a free society as you desire to live in?

Furthermore, just how far away, and how different, do you think San Diego is from LA and its homeless problems? Really, honest questions.

You haven't read a single sentence of "sympathy for sex offenders" - or even really for the homeless at large - from me in this thread. Nor do I recall having read any from 2sleepy either. Nothing from either of us except facts and legal issues necessary to consider when working to solve the problem you, and many other posters here, are complaining about.

Solutions, Finper, jm, and the rest of you. That's what you all say you want. You are being given factual, logical, legal information to understand and work with. You're not being given any sermons or moralizing. You object to rational problem solving?

The biggest fear a man has is being laughed at the biggest for women is being killed by a man. We have to live by our instincts and little voice in our head that says creepy vans are dangerous don't walk by them.. Statistics be damned. I never post solutions to homeless because there are non that work that are within the law.

The fact that you think SD is just like LA confirms my opinion of you and you need to travel to downtown LA and walk around then fight the traffic and cruise to that hell hole Venice beach and walk around there ...then we can talk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The biggest fear a man has is being laughed at the biggest for women is being killed by a man. We have to live by our instincts and little voice in our head that says creepy vans are dangerous don't walk by them.. Statistics be damned. I never post solutions to homeless because there are non that work that are within the law.

The fact that you think SD is just like LA confirms my opinion of you and you need to travel to downtown LA and walk around then fight the traffic and cruise to that hell hole Venice beach and walk around there ...then we can talk..
That first sentence is a doozey, Finper. I can't figure it out.

Other than that: sure, as I said, our reptilian fear mind has a useful purpose. One that our rational mind should heed and work with. Given the number of encounters with bears in Yellowstone Park, it's amazing that more people aren't mauled than are. People should rightly fear bears. And dark windowed vans strange to a neighborhood. The answers are rationally sensible: don't 'ef with bears ... and don't walk past darkened vans you don't recognize. That's rational mind working with natural fear. But, that said, statistics are your friend in helping to make sane and sensible strategies without living in paralyzing fears.

There ARE, indeed, solutions for the problems of homelessness being discussed in these threads. And they have been cited and presented with historical research demonstrating their effectiveness at all levels. You and others here simply appear to be unwilling to grasp them - probably due to your moral outrage based on your assumptions that each person somehow magically creates their own abilities and realities of life.

And finally, what makes you think my former apartment in Hollywood and my friends and relatives in LA whom I visit, and my frequent trips through LA as I travel to and from San Diego and Morro Bay where I split my residences these days - um, means I can't grasp LA? To say nothing of my many years living in San Francisco downtown? Maybe it's you who needs to get out and discover how similar the world is in terms of big city homelessness.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

I think a lot more women are killed as a result of domestic violence than by strangers in dark vans. It's almost a non issue.

Fears can be completely irrational and misinformed.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:20 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think a lot more women are killed as a result of domestic violence than by strangers in dark vans. It's almost a non issue.

Fears can be completely irrational and misinformed.
Yea I know that that's why I posted that general quote about a woman's worst fear is to be killed by a man.. any man. But I still think some vans are creepy. When I was a kid I'd have to walk by this van that some guy painted red and painted a devil on it saying "don't laugh your kid might be in here" maybe I'm still affected by that.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
The biggest fear a man has is being laughed at the biggest for women is being killed by a man
I've never heard that in my life, and it's certainly not on my list of 'biggest fears'. (and yes, I am a woman)

Old 10-08-2016, 07:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was not a false dichotomy at all, did you just get an urge to throw the term "Morton's Fork" into a post tonight?
A dichotomy could not get any more false. So put a Morton's Fork in your argument because it's done.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
This is a good article about the issue of homeless sleeping in the streets and why it's not a good idea .

Apparently the ACLU is putting a gun to the heads of politician in Seattle saying the homeless have a right to camp on public property .

I was just in Seattle and such a bunch of tents similar to we see in L.A

Is this really the Seattle you want to live in?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is a good article about the issue of homeless sleeping in the streets and why it's not a good idea . Apparently the ACLU is putting a gun to the heads of politician in Seattle saying the homeless have a right to camp on public property . I was just in Seattle and such a bunch of tents similar to we see in L.A
The ACLU will win that lawsuit unless Seattle can offer shelter to all of those sleeping on the street with no more than a 1 hour wait. That was the standard set by the Courts in Los Angeles so it is unlikely that it will be decided differently in Seattle.

I don't like the homeless sleeping on the streets, but if you don't provide shelter then what do you think the courts will do, allow them all to be arrested, or order them to stand up all night? You can jump up and down and pout and scream but this is an issue that requires a solution and that has to be more than just rounding every homeless person up and putting them in jail when their 'crime' is sleeping on the sidewalk

Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is a good article about the issue of homeless sleeping in the streets and why it's not a good idea .

Apparently the ACLU is putting a gun to the heads of politician in Seattle saying the homeless have a right to camp on public property .

I was just in Seattle and such a bunch of tents similar to we see in L.A

Meanwhile San Francisco might be voting to ban tents with Prop Q.

It would be ironic if San Francisco winds up with more stringent policies than L.A. - unfortunately, it would be believable.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The ACLU will win that lawsuit unless Seattle can offer shelter to all of those sleeping on the street with no more than a 1 hour wait. That was the standard set by the Courts in Los Angeles so it is unlikely that it will be decided differently in Seattle.

I don't like the homeless sleeping on the streets, but if you don't provide shelter then what do you think the courts will do, allow them all to be arrested, or order them to stand up all night? You can jump up and down and pout and scream but this is an issue that requires a solution and that has to be more than just rounding every homeless person up and putting them in jail when their 'crime' is sleeping on the sidewalk
2sleepy , you are incorrect . As the article mentions many of these people are currently breaking the law .
I was in Seattle just last week and saw a guy stung out with a needle right next to him .
Last time I checked Heroin was illegal everywhere in the United States.

Many many more crimes are being committed by these homeless. LAPD knows this too .
Homeless encampments have been used to hide stolen bicycles etc among other things .
It's a great cover for stolen items .. because really who would want to enter a homeless encampment?

The attitude that the author mentioned in the article is the same attitude you have ... and it is a dangerous attitude .
"it's no big deal that these people are taking up public parks etc "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles