Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 AM

645 posts, read 746,398 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if this was legal? Where i live in the san gabriel valley area im starting to suddenly see homeless people on one of the main streets(a shopping center surrounds it) by my neighborhood with all their carts full of crap living on the sidewalk. When I go for a run I have to dodge all these carts full of junk. I have compassion for homeless people but I feel like this is making the city ugly not to mention it is a public sidewalk and other people have to walk/run through there. So how can they just make it their home?This just started happening a few month ago and it is getting annoying because every time i go through there they have more and more carts full of junk. Why dont the police do anything about this? Can anything be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:45 AM

997 posts, read 931,656 times
There are laws about illegal camping and they can't block the sidewalk.

They have to find a place that is out of the way.

They do have rights to exist and they have to be somewhere but if they are being a public nuisance you can report them.

The police would ask them to move along. That is what they do in my area.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,515,050 times
I think we all have the same problem here. Even though the economy is supposedly getting better, there's a certain segment of society who has been left out, and those are the very poor, mentally ill, or drug addicted people. During the last economic crisis, a lot of mental health clinics closed. These homeless people are without medication, without recourse, so they get shuffled here and there without any of their problems being solved or even addressed. Southern California is a mecca for homeless people because of the weather, and the cost of living is so high that it's easy to fall through the cracks when evictions occur. I'm also one of the NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard), but I don't see this getting any better until some major policy changes are made, like:

1. Bring back long term institutionalization. Very mentally ill people need it; they won't stay on their medication if left to their own devices.

2. Find ways to ID people and establish "residency", simply because if you offer services without doing that, suddenly you're dealing with many more people than you were originally, because the word gets out.

3. I don't know if this is still happening, but other states used to put their mentally ill or recently released from the hospital on buses to L.A. We need to find out if this still occurs, and stop it if it does!

All of these are expensive, but the alternative is to see the friction between working people and the homeless increase, because no one wants to pay high rent or an expensive mortgage just to have to walk around homeless (sometimes crazy) people and their shopping carts full of... whatever that is. Sometimes it's unidentifiable.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM

626 posts, read 622,687 times
I have seen this as a well here in Pasadena increasingly getting worse and worse over the last 2 years. I don't mind it that much if they are organized and not a stuff with them. But there was this one guy who literally had two shopping carts full of stuff with him and he was 50yards from my house standing out on the corner with his shirt off looking crazy. So my neighbor and I went down to talk with him and bought him a liter bottle of cold water. We asked him nicely to please move his stuff the next day and not come back on to our street because we have kids. Needless to say he hasn't been back.

What sucks about Pasadena as well is that there are a number of halfway houses right off Colorado Blvd. So you have these people come down asking for money during the day saying they are homeless. But at night they go back to the halfway house.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:43 AM

21,631 posts, read 16,173,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I think we all have the same problem here. Even though the economy is supposedly getting better, there's a certain segment of society who has been left out, and those are the very poor, mentally ill, or drug addicted people. During the last economic crisis, a lot of mental health clinics closed. These homeless people are without medication, without recourse, so they get shuffled here and there without any of their problems being solved or even addressed. Southern California is a mecca for homeless people because of the weather, and the cost of living is so high that it's easy to fall through the cracks when evictions occur. I'm also one of the NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard), but I don't see this getting any better until some major policy changes are made, like:

1. Bring back long term institutionalization. Very mentally ill people need it; they won't stay on their medication if left to their own devices.

2. Find ways to ID people and establish "residency", simply because if you offer services without doing that, suddenly you're dealing with many more people than you were originally, because the word gets out.

3. I don't know if this is still happening, but other states used to put their mentally ill or recently released from the hospital on buses to L.A. We need to find out if this still occurs, and stop it if it does!

All of these are expensive, but the alternative is to see the friction between working people and the homeless increase, because no one wants to pay high rent or an expensive mortgage just to have to walk around homeless (sometimes crazy) people and their shopping carts full of... whatever that is. Sometimes it's unidentifiable.
Sweet Jesus it never stops. Another week, another thread on the homeless - and another rehash of the same misconceptions and myths.

No, LA is not a "mecca" for the homeless due to weather or benefits. They're not from other states. They're 70% from LA, 20% from elsewhere in the area and state. And 10% from out of state. This has been proven time and again by research for years and years all across the nation - by agencies, by academic research, and by private research organizations.

No, they're not "being bussed here". There were a few instances of that happening years ago where an out of state hospital was providing bus tickets to return homeless to their last know address cities or where they had family / or others vouching to have a place to take them in. The institutions that did this were identified and sued and the program stopped.

No, you can't restrict people's freedom in America based on homelessness alone. Nor on mental illness - unless they are an imminent threat to themselves or others. Don't like it? Change the Constitution.

No, it's not true that very mentally ill won't stay on medication. Most do. By the millions. However, the ones that don't often end up homeless.

No, most homeless do not prefer to live on the streets - they just won't go to shelters which are infested with lice and bedbugs and fleas - and infested with predatory petty criminals who assault and steal - and where the dormitory beds for a night require persons applying to line up sometimes for hours for access that takes them in only at night and puts them out early mornings, all with no other places to go during the day. Yes, under those terms, most would prefer to find their own spot outside.

Yes, there ARE programs in other places that have proven successful and cost effective at virtually eliminating homelessness on the streets. Housing First in Salt Lake City for example has reduced street homeless population by roughly 90% and at costs estimated from 25% - 50% less than other failed assistance programs in many other cities.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Huh? The only services they can receive without an ID would be a night in some shelters (most require an ID) or a meal in a soup kitchen. What do you think they do, call their homeless friends in other parts of the US on their Iphone 7 and tell them to hurry up and get to LA so they can get some killer tuna casserole and a night on a bed bug infested cot in a shelter?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times
OP, it's a huge issue in Los Angeles too.
The politicians and these judges need to wake up and realize they need to make the city livable for those paying their salaries.
The tax payers.

The city is pushing a 'homeless housing' bond. It will be a sweetheart deal for the developers that have cozy relationships with Garcetti and City Hall.
$350,000 PER unit. No thanks.

I've purchased units and homes across the country for less than $30,000.

I don't know why the homeless need to live right in L.A when middle class families get priced out daily.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,800,054 times
It's not just LA, its the world. Some coworkers just went to India on business and believe me we have nothing on them. In India they have entire camps of children with no adults who live on the street and huff glue all day. Same in Brazil and many south American countries. When I've traveled through Europe and Asia I've seen lots of people living on the street. The bottom line is we are probably about 1 billion people over capacity on this planet right now and it's only getting worse. Humans were only supposed to live to about 50 years old and that's how it was until the last 200 years. Now people live too long and it's screwing the planet up. Eventually something is going to come along and wipe out a whole lot of us to correct that problem but until then just step around the homeless on your sidewalk

Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,357,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
It's not just LA, its the world. Some coworkers just went to India on business and believe me we have nothing on them. In India they have entire camps of children with no adults who live on the street and huff glue all day. Same in Brazil and many south American countries. When I've traveled through Europe and Asia I've seen lots of people living on the street. The bottom line is we are probably about 1 billion people over capacity on this planet right now and it's only getting worse. Humans were only supposed to live to about 50 years old and that's how it was until the last 200 years. Now people live too long and it's screwing the planet up. Eventually something is going to come along and wipe out a whole lot of us to correct that problem but until then just step around the homeless on your sidewalk
I just read this.
Kids selling sex for food . Something you think of more in countries like India or parts of Asia.

Are we devolving more into one of those countries?

People having kids that have no means to support them or no desire to support them is a huge issue worldwide.
It's becoming so socially acceptable it seems to just have kids out of wedlock and not be able to support them and demand government assistance because "I have kids!"

Depending on a government that is in massive debt to the tune of trillions seems pretty risky to me.

Child Hunger In The US: Sexual Exploitation, Risky Behavior Increases As Teens Lack Access To Food, Studies Find

Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,050,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Zika will see to that, along with some yet to be discovered gross super bug.

Just because the avg lifespan of the past 200-300 years has been in the 40s, doesn't mean that people still have to die off by age 50 in this modern era. It's not so much about getting old... it's the damn amount of people constantly being made/born.

The homeless problem will only get worse as we sit idly by and see no affordable housing to house the segment of society that cannot or do not have the aspirations to get an education that will help them earn a good living. The other homeless are the mentally ill that WE as a society must take care of. Until then, these people on the edge of society will continue to live on the streets and annoying us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles